Apple's iPhone 6s to feature always-on 'Hey Siri' functionality, source says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member

Interesting.  My Amazon Echo responds to TV ads that use the Name Alexa.  Such as "Alexa, What is the News?".  I can see Apple Phones responding to "Hey Siri" when not wanted just as my Echo does.  This is not often , but it is funny when it happens.

• Reply 22 of 67
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It only works when plugged into power currently, but I have to say it's awesome in certain cases. Driving, of course, but also when my hands are wet doing dishes... or I'm too friggin lazy to get up and go over to wherever I left my phone.
  • Reply 23 of 67

The reason "Hey Siri" works so well on the Apple Watch is because the watch microphone is not "listening" unless my wrist is lifted.  This is like an extra switch, so no false triggering of "Hey Siri."  Brilliant Apple Engineers!

• Reply 24 of 67
    It okay with me since I do not use Siri. I will wait to upgrade to iOS9 just to make sure you can turn this feature off! Otherwise; no iOS9 for me.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    The iPhone doesn't need this as much as the Apple TV does.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Great, a bunch of people in a place can have their phones activated by someone yelling "Hey, Siri!" Well, maybe movie theaters can add that before the movie starts so people will their phones still on get called out.

Like the Android implementations, I imagine it would be trained to your voice.

• Reply 27 of 67
    Called it earlier today. And I was guessing. :)
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Cue the defensive posts by "I love how my (insert non-Apple product name) works with voice! It's soooo much better than Siri." And...go!
  • Reply 29 of 67

I agree, this would be a great feature for the new Apple TV.

It is great for the Apple Watch, it will be good for the iPhone 6S. If it's part of IOS9, I assume it will also work when not on charge for the iPhone 6.

• Reply 30 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Cue the defensive posts by "I love how my (insert non-Apple product name) works with voice! It's soooo much better than Siri." And...go!

Also cue up the posts from those that previously thought this feature was a bad idea, but now that Apple is doing it think it's a great one.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Also cue up the posts from those that previously thought this feature was a bad idea, but now that Apple is doing it think it's a great one.

Really? Any of the 23 posts prior to yours in this thread that fits your snarky prediction?

Or just trolling, as usual?
  • Reply 32 of 67
    Apple is expected to release its next-generation iPhone models and new Apple TV hardware at a special event in San Francisco tomorrow. <em>AppleInsider</em> will be providing live, on-the-scene coverage from inside the venue starting at 10 a.m. Pacific.

They aren't releasing anything tomorrow. They will be announcing, however.

This is cool but is going to be weird when I have my ? Hey Siri going and my iPhone listening at the same time. Even weirder when the iPad and (potentially) ? TV are all listening and responding. I wonder if there will be additional controls for device preference, sensitivity, etc.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Really? Any of the 23 posts prior to yours in this thread that fits your snarky prediction?

Or just trolling, as usual?

And how many defensive posts were there prior to the OP's prediction?
  • Reply 34 of 67
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Great, a bunch of people in a place can have their phones activated by someone yelling "Hey, Siri!" Well, maybe movie theaters can add that before the movie starts so people will their phones still on get called out.

Users should definitely be able to choose their own names or phrases to activate Siri.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    I didn't see any posts before I saw on my own how awesome this was on my Apple Watch. Probably works better because it's turned on only when I reuse my arm and because of close proximity to microphone and likely use of noise canceling mic (I think).

Also loved it when my iPhone was on charge. I'll like it better when it work when iPhone is not on charge.

And awesome if it works well with the new Apple TV or Apple TV Remote.
  • Reply 36 of 67

Ah, predictable. Thought you might ask.

#5? #23?
  • Reply 37 of 67
    harry wild wrote: »
    It okay with me since I do not use Siri. I will wait to upgrade to iOS9 just to make sure you can turn this feature off! Otherwise; no iOS9 for me.

Just as in iOS 8 Siri as well as Hey Siri are options that can be turned off in the settings of iOS 9.
  • Reply 38 of 67

Ah, predictable. Thought you might ask.

#5? #23?

Explain how those are defensive posts.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    harry wild wrote: »
    Cue the sad curmudgeons.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Explain how those are defensive posts.

Why are you all arguing with each other? WoW

Childish adults. Gotta love em