Periscope live video viewing app in development for next-gen Apple TV - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2015
Twitter's Periscope platform will come to the next-generation Apple TV in the form of a third-party app, to be available for download on the device's dedicated App Store, a new report reveals.

Secret development of the alleged Periscope app for Apple TV was reported on Tuesday by TechCrunch. Unsurprisingly, it's expected that the new app will be focused on watching streams broadcast from portable devices like iPhones.

It's unknown when the Periscope app is intended to launch, but Tuesday's report is the first indication of any third-party apps actively in development for the anticipated Apple TV refresh.

Current developers would need for the product to become official and an accompanying development kit to be released before work could begin on third-party apps. It's likely that those developer-focused details will be revealed at tomorrow's event.

Given the popularity of Periscope and its parent company, Twitter, it's not surprising that Apple would give its developers early access to an alleged Apple TV SDK.

Downloadable third-party games are also expected to be a central focus for the new Apple TV App Store. It's believed that casual games will be playable with a new remote control, featuring a touchpad, microphone, and motion sensors for new input methods.

Apps aside, previous reports have indicated that Apple also plans to address content discovery in the updated Apple TV with a new "universal search" feature. Using Siri, consumers would be able to enter the name of a program and find out where they can watch it, from a number of providers like Netflix and iTunes.

The new Apple TV is expected to carry beefed-up internals that include a more powerful A-series processor, possibly the A8X found in the iPad Air 2. That and other changes -- including the addition of a new remote control with a built-in microphone and touch pad -- could bump the retail price as high as $150.

All will be revealed on Wednesday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, when Apple's media presentation will kick off in San Francisco. AppleInsider will be there live with exclusive coverage, and readers can install our official iOS app for live updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    I was hopeful that any Apple TV App Store wouldn't be limited solely to games. This seems to imply that the door will be wide open for all types of apps, not just games.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DamonF View Post

I was hopeful that any Apple TV App Store wouldn't be limited solely to games. This seems to imply that the door will be wide open for all types of apps, not just games.

I was thinking that's what would make games such a success, that they are just *one* aspect of a device that provides lots of functionality, gaming being just one of them. That way the ATV doesn't live or die with gaming. I can't wait to see what an App Store will offer outside of games, I think we're going to see some really creative and fun apps hit that store once the clever developers are allowed access. Games, yes, but lots of other types of apps too!

• Reply 3 of 10
    ronnronn Posts: 653member

I'm hopeful that there are a lot more apps that have been given the green light and will appear tomorrow during the "Hey Siri" event. I may finally get an Apple TV box.

• Reply 4 of 10

They would somehow have to figure out how to do the interactive bit. Periscope seems like it would be disappointing without interaction. It would be like viewing your email in-box or better, your twitter feed, and not able to reply/retweet, etc.

That said, the attention from Periscope for Apple TV makes me think there are some big changes afoot. TV is changing indeed. Things are going in a lot of directions and there's room for Apple to be the leader here. A lot of the hardware and service offerings cover much of the same ground. It would be interesting to see someone break away as the leader and Apple is in a good position to do that.

I'm so ready to place an order for an Apple TV. I don't have one right now and was going to order one a few weeks ago but then rumors...

• Reply 5 of 10
    lymflymf Posts: 65member
    It's gonna be fun to watch all these portrait feeds on a 16/9 TV :)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Tired: YouTube.

Wired: Periscope.

I wonder if MeTube.com is already taken.

Or whatever.  Apple could just buy it if they want it.

• Reply 7 of 10
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

I was thinking that's what would make games such a success, that they are just *one* aspect of a device that provides lots of functionality, gaming being just one of them. That way the ATV doesn't live or die with gaming. I can't wait to see what an App Store will offer outside of games, I think we're going to see some really creative and fun apps hit that store once the clever developers are allowed access. Games, yes, but lots of other types of apps too!

Exactly.  Having plenty of games is fine (similar to the App Store for iPhones and iPads), but other kinds of apps would be well-served on the ATV as well.  I'm looking forward to having Amazon Prime Video, since I have it in addition to Netflix, and I currently have to use my Blu-Ray player for Prime.  

I'm hopefully optimistic that the ATV could also do picture-in-picture, so you could have one app running full screen and another running in a PiP window.  Would be handy to have a radar app in the corner during a thunderstorm while watching a movie, for example.

• Reply 8 of 10
    Periscope is a game changer! Become a Periscope Star in less than a week with this online course at http://PeriscopeProfitMachine.com
  • Reply 9 of 10
    The thing I'm most interested in is being able to port one of the TV tuner front ends to the ATV. That way I can use something like a Silicon Dust or Tablo and watch TV anywhere. Other set-tops already do this, Apple is the big holdout.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Yep.. that's true! Periscope is coming on Apple TV. Imagine an Apple remote with a hearts button :)
    For anyone who is interested to find periscope streams on their pc, there are websites such as http://www.onperikat.com who do that.