On PlayStation's 20th anniversary, Sony says 'game on' to Apple in spoof of today's event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2015
Looking for some publicity of its own, Sony on Wednesday morning posted an image on its Xperia Twitter account making fun of Apple's press event, which is expected to feature not only new iPhones, but also a revamped Apple TV with support for third-party game downloads.

"Hey Sony, give us a hint," the image read, with Apple's Siri-themed event graphic in the background. Below that text was binary code, translating into the words "Game on."

Sony recently announced three Xperia Z5 smartphones, the main model featuring a 5.2-inch display, 3 gigabytes of RAM, a fingerprint sensor, and a 23-megapixel rear camera. The 5.5-inch Z5 Premium, though, is being touted as the first smartphone with a 4K display.

The centerpiece of Apple's event is expected to be two new phones, the iPhone 6s and the 6s Plus. These could potentially support 4K video recording, thanks to rumored 12-megapixel Sony camera sensors, but there has been no suggestion of the devices sporting displays sharper than the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, the latter of which tops out at 1080p.

Apple may also present new competition for Sony in the form of an updated Apple TV with features like Siri support, an App Store, and a touchpad remote. Gaming has been rumored as a major feature of the device, which -- if successful -- could put a dent in sales of Sony's PlayStation 4.

Coincidentally, Apple's presentation coincides with the 20th anniversary of the launch of the original PlayStation in North America. Sony and its fans have been commemorating the occasion with the hashtag #20YearsOfPlay.

The Apple event is due to start at 10 a.m. Pacific time, or 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will be providing live coverage from inside San Francisco's Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. Download the AppleInsider app to get all of the news as it breaks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It's amazing how Apple lives rent-free and so many other companies heads. I have no doubt Samsung, Moto, LG, etc. have ads all ready to tweet the minute Apple announces new stuff today. I'll be curious to see if Microsoft jumps in too.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    Though this is a ripoff of Apple, I can't get all that angry about Sony - it's the goobers (I'm being extremely polite) at Sungscam whom I despise.

Over the past couple of years, I've talked two families in my extended family out of buying Sungscam washer / dryer sets. It feels great to deprive them of revenue.
  • Reply 3 of 76

When companies taunt Apple like this, they almost always regret it. ;)

• Reply 4 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Sure sign a company is scared of Apple:  They make spoofs.

IMO this is the biggest evidence that the AppleTV will disrupt gaming.  Did Sony do this when the Shield gaming platform come out?  hell no.

Sony spends a ton of $$$ on research and probabily knew an AppleTV with gaming feature would be a huge threat.

Quote:

The birth and death of Sony's dominance of gaming on the same day?  Fitting.

The console makers have become too greedy and arrogant. $50 games?  $400 systems?  $50 game controllers?  Give me a break.

Are you going to ban yourself when you're wrong? You realize people predicted the Ouya would be the death of game consoles, right?

And have you seen how much Apple charges for an iPad case? Have you seen what iOS controllers go for? Glass houses and all that.

• Reply 5 of 76
    Reminds me of Steve Ballmer laughing at a Press Event when he was Told Apple were moving into the Phone Space .... "We have years of experience they don't"
  • Reply 6 of 76
    This made me smile. And actually endeared me to Sony as it came across as tongue in cheek to me.
    But then I am a PS4 owner/user/gamer as well as an AppleManiac.
  • Reply 7 of 76

First there was the Samsung Edge display, then the LG Flex (entire phone is curved), now the Sony Z5 with 4k display. These are engineering demos, not salable products.

• Reply 8 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

This made me smile. And actually endeared me to Sony as it came across as tongue in cheek to me.

But then I am a PS4 owner/user/gamer as well as an AppleManiac.

Exactly, it is tongue in cheek. The reality is an AppleTV and the PS4 are in completely different sectors which won't compete with each other.

• Reply 9 of 76
    That does not look like a deal with Sony Studios? Or does it mean Sony Studios bought by Apple?
  • Reply 10 of 76
    sog35 wrote: »
    Sure sign a company is scared of Apple:  They make spoofs.

IMO this is the biggest evidence that the AppleTV will disrupt gaming.  Did Sony do this when the Shield gaming platform come out?  hell no.

Sony spends a ton of $$$ on research and probabily knew an AppleTV with gaming feature would be a huge threat.

sog35 wrote: »
    The birth and death of Sony's dominance of gaming on the same day?  Fitting.

The console makers have become too greedy and arrogant. $50 games?  $400 systems?  $50 game controllers?  Give me a break.

It's called having some fun. Lighten up.

Also, no way in hell a Apple TV will give the same performance as a console much less than a PC gaming rig. Nobody is disrupting gaming.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This is the Apple employee line for the event. H/T @neilcybart I'm calling it now, the large venue is to support an Apple Music concert for Apple employees.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COeE7HDUAAANvWn.jpg:large[/img]
  • Reply 12 of 76
    Quote:

Who the hell said the Ouya was going to end gaming consoles?  Only idiots.  And I'm certain Sony did not run a spoof ad the day teh Ouya was announced.

iPad cases are an OPTIONAL item.  Big difference.

Those controllers are not made by Apple.  Don't blame Apple.

Also those controllers are not made in enough volume to justify a cheaper price.  Just wait till Apple releases their gaming controllers.  They will be much cheaper.

Yes, the company that charges $30 for a watch charger and $50 for a Lightning to VGA adapter is going to release something cheap. :no:

You're out of your depth here.

• Reply 13 of 76
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Are you going to ban yourself when you're wrong? You realize people predicted the Ouya would be the death of game consoles, right?

And have you seen how much Apple charges for an iPad case? Have you seen what iOS controllers go for? Glass houses and all that.

You may think that consoles won't be effected, but parents control much of the purchases of children/teens, and with the release of the AppleTV with gaming, it may be "good enough" to replace or delay a console buy, especially with the note that many of the mobile games the children/teens already have will play fine on the AppleTV.

• Reply 14 of 76
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

this is just sorry. clearly they feel threatened, but why just one measly post? it could have been so much better if they'd had the right agency behind it and started weeks ago. i wasn't even curious enough to follow the link.

moving on, now.

• Reply 15 of 76
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sony piggy backing on Apple's media coverage. Remember when Sony could command its own attention.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This is the Apple employee line for the event. H/T @neilcybart I'm calling it now, the large venue is to support an Apple Music concert for Apple employees.

Taylor Swift (wearing an Apple Watch)?

• Reply 17 of 76

Apple should buy Nintendo, their real competition in this space.

• Reply 18 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Apple may indeed charge way too much for a case.  But you can buy them much cheaper than that from thousands of other companies that make them.  And games are made by thousands of companies, at varying prices.  Thats the point he was making.  That with a Sony game console, you don't have that option.  Its theirs or nothing.

• Reply 19 of 76
    The Sony Twitter post could point to Sony games available on iOS or Apple TV (unlikely, I know, but conceivable).
  • Reply 20 of 76
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Also, no way in hell a Apple TV will give the same performance as a console much less than a PC gaming rig. Nobody is disrupting gaming.

The current gen consoles are pretty underpowered aren't they? They don't have separate GPUs themselves. I think an Ax based machine could compete.

That said, I think PC gaming is going to take a big leap in 2016. There is the combination of GPUs finally moving off 28nm to 16 or 14nm, HBM, DirectX 12. And new engines like the Fox engine in MGS: V are just amazing. And the VR headsets are almost ready.

I don't believe the line that the majority of people just want casual gaming, and high end gaming is for the minority, it all depends on how compelling and differentiated the AAA titles are. At the moment there's not a huge difference between high and low end systems, just more fps and slightly better lighting effects, but if high end gaming suddenly became the most amazing futuristic thing ever, then you would see thousands of people buying PCs again and all these consoles (Apple's included) sitting there gathering dust.