Overhauled $149 Apple TV features App Store, Siri remote and cross-service content search

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2015
Simplified Siri voice search and downloadable third-party apps are the centerpieces of the brand new Apple TV, which also boasts a Bluetooth touchpad remote and an overhauled, colorful user interface.

• Siri support with cross-service content search
  • App Store with universal app compatibility
  • Motion-sensitive controller with touchpad
  • Overclocked A8 CPU
  • 32GB for $149, 64GB for $199
  • Available in October

App-centric future

In unveiling the new Apple TV on Wednesday, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook declared that "the future of TV is in apps." To that end, the new Apple TV includes an entirely new operating system called tvOS, with access to existing iOS technologies like Metal and CloudKit, and powered by the A8 processor.

The new Apple TV is priced at $149 for a 32-gigabyte capacity, while a 64-gigabyte model will run $199. It launches in 80 countries in October, and will be available in over 100 countries by the end of the year.

Some developers were given early access to the Apple TV, including content providers like Netflix, HBO and Hulu. Other, different options included AirBNB and a TV-based comic book reader.

Revamped sports experience

Apple showed off a new MLB at Bat app designed for Apple TV, with the ability to stream live games and show picture in picture. It also promised that an NHL streaming app will debut on the platform in 2016.

Some games from established franchises were also shown, like Disney Infinity, Guitar Hero, and Rayman.

In one onstage demonstration, Jon Carter of Harmonix showcased Beat Sports, an Apple TV exclusive game. In the title, the motion sensing capabilities of the Siri remote were used to have an onscreen avatar swing a bat.

Siri is smarter

The new Siri remote also has a glass touch surface up top allow users to interact with the device and select content. Users simply "glide" across the interface with their fingertips.

The device recharges through a Lightning connector on the bottom, and is said to last up to 3 months on a single charge.

In line with its namesake, the Siri remote also includes a dedicated Siri button, and an integrated microphone that will allow users to find content more easily. For example, upon selecting a TV show, users are presented with seasons, episodes, and more.

Siri also does across multiple content apps, giving users all of their viewing options on a single screen. Content providers include iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, HBO, and Showtime, and more will be added over time.

Siri can also be used for contextual commands. In one demonstration, Siri was asked "What did she just say?" The Apple TV automatically rewound the program and turned on captions.

In another demonstration, the user searched for action films, then narrowed the search down to James Bond films, then just the ones with Sean Connery. Content can be searched by cast, date, director, and even age rating.

Siri isn't limited to TV content, however. The voice-driven personal assistant also provides other information, such as sports scores and weather. Opening apps can also be accomplished by invoking Siri.

Apple also announced that its legacy third-generation Apple TV will remain a part of its lineup, priced at $69.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 330
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Gilt - She seemed excited with the app. :smokey:

• Reply 2 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Gilt - She seemed excited with the app. :smokey:

The fashion and shopping stuff is the clearest sign that Steve is gone. That's something that should have been said "no" to.

• Reply 3 of 330
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

So is this the realization of Steve Job's claim that he "cracked" the TV interface? Siri? Or is there "one more thing" coming ...?

• Reply 4 of 330
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

So is this the realization of Steve Job's claim that he "cracked" the TV interface? Siri? Or is there "one more thing" coming ...?

mixture of siri and touch  

• Reply 5 of 330
    All I wanna know now: is Jen married? :p
  • Reply 6 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The fashion and shopping stuff is the clearest sign that Steve is gone. That's something that should have been said "no" to.

I think you missed my point.  Watch that part again closely.

• Reply 7 of 330

Hmm, not quite the "game" changer sog35 predicted. I'll pass.

• Reply 8 of 330

the 3rd or 4th version of this will be amazing

• Reply 9 of 330

Meh. The home interface isn't really all the changed... 

• Reply 10 of 330
    sog35 wrote: »
    This is the foundation.  In the next 12-24 months it will be clear that the AppleTV is the one box that rules the living room

tvOS is going to be F***ing HUGE!
  • Reply 11 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is a great foundation to build the one box that rules the living room.

It ain't perfect but a great start.

In the next 12 months I hope to see:

1. Dedicated game controllers

2. Live TV package

3. More Homekit features

and the bbc etc, but thats up to app developers. HomeKit will be huge but they need to keep stuff in reserve

• Reply 12 of 330
    How much is a replacement remote since my current apple tv remotes have hit the hard floor numerous times?
  • Reply 13 of 330
    tobiwan wrote: »
    How much is a replacement remote since my current apple tv remotes have hit the hard floor numerous times?

• Reply 14 of 330
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    patpatpat wrote: »
    Hmm, not quite the "game" changer sog35 predicted. I'll pass.
    $149 for God sake, what do you expect? It's all about program subscription and light games capable. I'll go for the 32GB version in my living room and move ATV3 to my bedroom.
  • Reply 15 of 330
    Quote:

This is the foundation.  In the next 12-24 months it will be clear that the AppleTV is the one box that rules the living room

Not here to tear people down, but after delaying the new Apple TV for so long, it is just arrogant to expect people to wait another year or two for this to take off.  I'm not happy with the new Apple TV, it's a repackage job of existing tech, and the games thus far look like third rate Wii titles from 2006.

• Reply 16 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrace View Post

Not here to tear people down, but after delaying the new Apple TV for so long, it is just arrogant to expect people to wait another year or two for this to take off.  I'm not happy with the new Apple TV, it's a repackage job of existing tech, and the games thus far look like third rate Wii titles from 2006.

You can update the OS next year you know...

• Reply 17 of 330
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

This is a great foundation to build the one box that rules the living room.

It ain't perfect but a great start.

In the next 12 months I hope to see:

1. Dedicated game controllers

2. Live TV package

3. More Homekit features

and separate user accounts.

• Reply 18 of 330
    Did I miss it or is there no optical? I don't think I can use this with my surround sound receiver
  • Reply 19 of 330
    Quote:

sorry but your expectations were out of wack then.

if they build it they will come.  Like all Apple products its a ramp up to near perfection.  It took 2-3 generations for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod to be totally polished.  I expect AppleTV to dominate the living room by 2017.

This is the fourth iteration of the Apple TV, it should already have enough polish to make me want it...but that didn't happen.

• Reply 20 of 330
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »

here we go digging up Steve Jobs from the grave again......

Let the man rest in peace.  My God give it a rest.

No Home Kit, Ha to the mutha f'ing HA.