Overhauled $149 Apple TV features App Store, Siri remote and cross-service content search

Comments

• Reply 21 of 330

New Apple TV is definitely not a game changer, but I do like what's new. I will be buying one for sure. 

• Reply 22 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

wrong.  Those other 3 AppleTV's were hobby's.

This is the first real generation.

You gotta be effing kidding me man.  That's the most ridiculous thing I've read today.  Again, not hear to tear people down, but the new Apple TV is not what it should have been out of the gate.  Maybe it'll get there, but capitalism waits for no one and people are already voting with their wallets.

• Reply 23 of 330
    Wow. That's. Wow.
    Huh.
    So almost two years later, Apple releases the Amazon Fire TV with a better touch remote but no dedicated game controller.
    I think they just buried Steve once and for all.
  • Reply 24 of 330
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    $149 for God sake, what do you expect? It's all about program subscription and light games capable. I'll go for the 32GB version in my living room and move ATV3 to my bedroom.

Exactly. It like Apple haters wanted a hard core super computer for $149 plus unlimited content. Well I have news for them. Bleeding edge hardware costs money and video content is still controlled by a few companies. The walls are cracking but they haven't fallen. I'm looking forward to having iOS games ported to the big screen and other custom apps.
  • Reply 25 of 330

Disappointed they went with the A8 instead of A9.

Will it prove better to AirPlay from an A9X device?

We didn't see accessories: Joysticks, controllers, keyboards, etc.

It will be very interesting to see how well Siri works.

No wired external storage. :rolleyes:

• Reply 26 of 330
    Quote:

wrong.  Those other 3 AppleTV's were hobby's.

This is the first real generation.

You're dreaming. Even on this forum I can just about hear everyone yawning. This was a pathetic update.

• Reply 27 of 330
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    No Home Kit, Ha to the mutha f'ing HA.

Just because they didn't mention it in the presentation does not mean HomeKit will be a key part of the AppleTV.  They only have so much time to go over the key points.

And that's not a key point? They spent enough time on the bootleg Frogger game.
  • Reply 28 of 330
    Quote:

What exactly were you expecting?  Time machine?  Cure cancer? 

Seriously tell us what you were expecting.

A dedicated controller, for starters.  Games that actually look like fun.  HomeKit.  Some kind of content update, aside from a re-skinned Netflix/Hulu.  At least one impressive app from the App Store at launch.  But heck...we have a screen saver that knows when it is day and when it is night.  Holy cow, no one was expecting that!  AWESOME SAUCE!!!

• Reply 29 of 330
    Does this mean Siri is finally out of beta?
  • Reply 30 of 330
    Quote:

tell us what you were expecting.  What was missing.

A9X: better GPU = more pixels pushed = longer lived device. Also higher cost.

Did they mention 4k support? I don't think so.

Input accessories.

• Reply 31 of 330
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

A9X: better GPU = more pixels pushed = longer lived device. Also higher cost.

Did they mention 4k support? I don't think so.

Input accessories.

Are these things you previously wrote about in the forums here?

• Reply 32 of 330
    Quote:

tell us what you were expecting.  What was missing.

The list of what it's missing is fairly long. It's update is voice control, a better search and Siri. Look around you're the only one here thinking it's great. In spite of what you are saying it's the fourth generation. Apple's new slogan should be "Wait another five years it will be great"

• Reply 33 of 330
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    dtrace wrote: »
    Not here to tear people down, but after delaying the new Apple TV for so long, it is just arrogant to expect people to wait another year or two for this to take off.  I'm not happy with the new Apple TV, it's a repackage job of existing tech, and the games thus far look like third rate Wii titles from 2006.

I'm of two minds. On the one hand, I agree with you. There's nothing new. But as someone who has wanted an App Store on Apple TV for years, I'm glad they finally did it.

This update will take Apple TV from "hobby" to serious product. I'm excited about it, even though it didn't deliver anything revolutionary. I think they wanted to keep it affordable, hence the aging tech. They aren't trying to compete with Xbox and PS either. They're capitalizing on the casual gaming market. For now.

This is a major step forward for TV.
  • Reply 34 of 330
    Quote:

Dedicated controllers are already avaliable for iPhone.  This is NOT primarily a gaming device.  There will be a bunch of 3rd party controllers coming out.

Dude.  Do you not know how long it takes to make AAA games?  3-5 years.  No way any developer got its hands on the new AppleTV before this year.  

The games this year will mostly be iOS ports with updated controls.  That is okay.  YOu are expecting a miracle (having AAA games made in less than 6 months).  Unrealistic expecations.

The old AppleTV already supported HomeKit.  You to blame the people building the smart bulbs, smart locks, smart therostats for dragging their feet.

Don't blame Apple.  What were you expecting?  A TV package?  The news has been out for WEEKS that it wasn't coming this year.  Again your expectations are unrealistic.

Like what?  Again the App makers probabily just got the kits to build AppleTV Apps a few months ago.  How the hell are they suppose to build Apps in a matter of weeks?  

Summary is Rome wasn't built in a day.   

Same with iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV.  None of the App makers or game makers had dev kits to build Apps/Games for the new AppleTV for more than a few weeks.  

Awesome Apps and Games take WAY LONGER than 5 weeks to make.  Be patient.

The key is the solid foundation is up.

OK, you're right.  Patience is a virtue.  So when Apple TV shapes up in another 1-2 years like you think it will, I'll just buy one then.

• Reply 35 of 330
    Quote:

This is the first year with an App store.

iPhone, iPad would be nothing without Apps.

I'll give you that. I would rather have Apple sell a 600.00 Apple TV and turn it into a true gaming system with Apple's UI and live content. However I think I'm going to be waiting a long time for that. 

• Reply 36 of 330
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    atlapple wrote: »

The list of what it's missing is fairly long. It's update is voice control, a better search and Siri. Look around you're the only one here thinking it's great. In spite of what you are saying it's the fourth generation. Apple's new slogan should be "Wait another five years it will be great"

I don't think it's great. But I think it's pretty good. As with the watch, some people had unrealistic expectations for the new Apple TV. It pretty much delivered what I expected. The universal search is pretty awesome. In time, as other apps support it, it will change how we find content. Casual gaming is big business. Console gaming is a niche. Look at the sales figures. Apple sells more iPhones in a year than the entirety of all PS2s (best selling game console) ever sold. The new Apple TV was never going to be a high end gaming console. I imagine third party iOS controllers will work with it out of the box. In time it will definitely deliver better gaming, but going head to head with Xbox or PS isn't Apple's plan here.
  • Reply 37 of 330
    Quote:

4k is not ready for prime time.  Hardly anyone has a 4k TV and there is even less TRUE 4k content. T

Except that part where Apple just announced 4K shooting iPhones. 

• Reply 38 of 330
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

The fashion and shopping stuff is the clearest sign that Steve is gone. That's something that should have been said "no" to.

Haha. Isn't Gilt just an app? Are there no shopping apps for iOS?
    cash907 wrote: »
    Wow. That's. Wow.
    Huh.
    So almost two years later, Apple releases the Amazon Fire TV with a better touch remote but no dedicated game controller.
    I think they just buried Steve once and for all.

Yup because Steve was so into games.
  • Reply 39 of 330
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

sorry but your expectations were out of wack then.

if they build it they will come.  Like all Apple products its a ramp up to near perfection.  It took 2-3 generations for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod to be totally polished.  I expect AppleTV to dominate the living room by 2017.

and why reveal your hand immediately anyway. 

• Reply 40 of 330
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

I'll give you that. I would rather have Apple sell a 600.00 Apple TV and turn it into a true gaming system with Apple's UI and live content. However I think I'm going to be waiting a long time for that. 

I don't think that will ever happen.

Apple chases the mass market customer.  What you want is totally niche market = hardcore gamers with tons of money

Agree - I didn't want the new AppleTV to be a game console, I wanted it to be a new and better AppleTV.  And it is.

I do wish the remote were a little larger, and I would have liked a keyboard (I know, Apple aesthetics, etc...)   Frankly I was hoping the remote was basically going to be like an iPod - full screen w/keyboard.   Instead, it looks like unless you use Siri (and let's face it, not everyone wants to talk to their devices, and it can be difficult / awkward to do so if you've got a crowd over, etc.), then you're still stuck with the single-letter-at-a-time spelling search.