Overhauled $149 Apple TV features App Store, Siri remote and cross-service content search

Comments

• Reply 41 of 330
    Apple TV has everything I was hoping for and more. The "What did she say?" feature alone makes it worth every penny.
  • Reply 42 of 330

New Apple TV just like Amazon Fire TV Box.  Plays Appstore games and it will be good for Flappy Bird and simple point and click types.  It won't hold a candle to Nvidia Shield Console for sure.  I'm just not sure I should get Shield or hold off for SteamOS box.

• Reply 43 of 330

The improvements may seem incremental to some, but between 3rd party apps, a more sophisticated controller and the option to use any iPhone or iPod Touch (and perhaps iPad) as an additional controller, there's a lot of potential here, especially as processing power continues to improve in coming years and developers have some time to explore the possibilities. It's also great that they were able to keep the price on the low side--hopefully developers will do the same.

• Reply 44 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The fashion and shopping stuff is the clearest sign that Steve is gone. That's something that should have been said "no" to.

Yeah, because Steve was all about trying to limit peoples' imagination for what could be done with Apple products.

What a stupid comment.

• Reply 45 of 330
    Is it capable of 4k output? Even if they don't provide 4k content yet the device itself should support 4k, no?
  • Reply 46 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Frankly I was hoping the remote was basically going to be like an iPod - full screen w/keyboard.   Instead, it looks like unless you use Siri (and let's face it, not everyone wants to talk to their devices, and it can be difficult / awkward to do so if you've got a crowd over, etc.), then you're still stuck with the single-letter-at-a-time spelling search.

You may be able to use an iOS device to input text too, assuming they make an iOS 'Remote" app for the new Apple TV.

• Reply 47 of 330
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

... The future of TV is APPS.  It takes TIME to make Apps.  Don't expect it to be here TODAY.  But it is coming.

Now with the App store we get to see where developers take it.  Was the same for the iPhone and again the iPad when they came out.  3rd party apps are what will carry it.

• Reply 48 of 330
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I am so buying this.  can't wait.

• Reply 49 of 330
    I am assuming it will still support mirroring and AirPlay. What about streaming mp4 video from iTunes. All three are essential features in my books.
  • Reply 50 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrace View Post

Not here to tear people down, but after delaying the new Apple TV for so long, it is just arrogant to expect people to wait another year or two for this to take off.  I'm not happy with the new Apple TV, it's a repackage job of existing tech, and the games thus far look like third rate Wii titles from 2006.

Its running a A8, the same thing in my iPhone 6.   imo its more capable than what we saw.

• Reply 51 of 330

Apple TV has its own menu on the Apple website now.

No more hobby.

• Reply 52 of 330
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    sog35 wrote: »
    This is a great foundation to build the one box that rules the living room.

It ain't perfect but a great start.

In the next 12 months I hope to see:

1. Dedicated game controllers
    2. Live TV package
    3. More Homekit features

But just the other day you guys were all claiming that these would have been announced today? What happened?
  • Reply 53 of 330
    mac_128 wrote: »
    So is this the realization of Steve Job's claim that he "cracked" the TV interface? Siri? Or is there "one more thing" coming ...?

Exactly.
  • Reply 54 of 330
    Quote:

dude man.  This was common knowlege WEEKS AGO that it would be coming with an A8. The iPhone/iPad orders for A9 would be too much already.  How the hell will they make more A9 for the Apple TV.  Plus there is costs considerations.

Based on the performance graph from A8 to A9 shown during the iPad intro, I feel releasing the aTV without the best graphics performance available was a mistake. A higher performance GPU makes it easier for big companies like EA to port games to the aTV.

4k is not ready for prime time.  Hardly anyone has a 4k TV and there is even less TRUE 4k content.

VIZIO is a very popular low to mid range TV brand. This year they went all 4K their mid-range and up TVs.

This is a device for the masses not for Hi-Fi hobbiest.  If you were expecting cutting edge home theater equipment then your expectations were way out of bounds.  This is a mass market device.  Apple could have easily built a box with A9X, 4k video, Dolby Atmos sound, and 128GB of memory.  But then it would cost $399 minimum.  That would NOT be a mass market device.

Apple has never been about shooting for the bottom. Their target consumers are middle to upper class, brand conscious people. Those people are willing to pay $50 more for a compellingly better product.

Input accessories are coming from 3rd parties.  Apple does not have time to cover everything.

I would have liked Apple to feature a 3rd party input device. They featured plenty of 3rd party software.

• Reply 55 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

tvOS is going to be F***ing HUGE!

If it ran davrOS:

Siri: Supreme Dalek. Is there news?

Dalek: Earth has been subjugated.

• Reply 56 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Frankly I was hoping the remote was basically going to be like an iPod - full screen w/keyboard.   Instead, it looks like unless you use Siri (and let's face it, not everyone wants to talk to their devices, and it can be difficult / awkward to do so if you've got a crowd over, etc.), then you're still stuck with the single-letter-at-a-time spelling search.

You may be able to use an iOS device to input text too, assuming they make an iOS 'Remote" app for the new Apple TV.

Well yes, you can always use your phone as a remote through the app - but of course then you're not using your phone for other purposes / you're having to flip back & forth to the app.

• Reply 57 of 330
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    I never said they were announcing a TV package the last few days.  It was common knowlege that the TV package was still under negotations.

With the A8 chip HomeKit is a given.  Its going to happen but they don't have time to cover everything.

Dedicated home controllers will come out soon enough by 3rd party.

Where is all the end of the world gaming AI posters promised us?
  • Reply 58 of 330
    wrong.  Those other 3 AppleTV's were hobby's.

This is the first real generation.

Come on, no company makes products just for hobby. You know best they do this for profit, and possibly to pave the ground for something that pays off big time. This new one is an evolution, not the revolution (yet).
  • Reply 59 of 330
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    No Home Kit, Ha to the mutha f'ing HA.

Your Chromecast is safe from competition.
  • Reply 60 of 330
    Quote:

Exactly.

Plus without battery restrictions the A8 can run at max levels much longer than the A8 in the iPhone.  

With that being said I do expect to see an A9 AppleTV next year.

indeed.  I have the feeling they are going to refresh this more often now.  And they already said in the iPad pro part that the A9X is console class GPU.  So next model will have top of the line console GPU.

That being said, imo the A8 beats the Wii and WiiU.  Would be interesting to compare the performance.