Apple unveils annual iPhone Upgrade Program, updates standard iPhone price structures

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Apple on Wednesday announced a revised pricing structure for iPhones, including the all-new iPhone Upgrade Program, a first-party retail plan that will let shoppers get a new iPhone every year.

Prices for the upgrade program will start at $32 a month, and will include unlocked phones with a user's choice of carrier. Each phone will also be covered under AppleCare+, Apple's most comprehensive warranty program.

For people wanting to get an iPhone through a regular carrier lease program, prices will start at $19 for an iPhone 5s, $23 for an iPhone 6, or $27 for an iPhone 6 Plus. Apple's latest models, the 6s and 6s Plus, will begin at $27 and $31 a month.

On a two-year contract, entry prices for the same devices will run from zero dollars for the iPhone 5s to $299 for a 6s Plus.

Preorders for the 6s and 6s Plus will open up this Saturday, Sept. 12. The products will be officially released on Friday, Sept. 25.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Definitely not a good deal for me, but I suspect this will help sell more of them than it otherwise might have. Makes things convenient. I wonder if Apple will be selling refurb iPhones through the online store next year with all the trade ins?
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Just wonder if I need to trade in my old in order to get the new one. If so, I don't think it is a good deal. Otherwise, I might give a try :)
  • Reply 3 of 38
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

A carrier here in Australia has had a similar deal for some time. It's a standard 2-year contract but after one year you get a brand new iPhone. The AppleCare+ being included is new though.

• Reply 4 of 38
    aircm1982 wrote: »
    Just wonder if I need to trade in my old in order to get the new one. If so, I don't think it is a good deal. Otherwise, I might give a try :)

Yes, and the wording makes me think you restart the 24 month contract if you do as well — which I think means you'd have to keep the same phone for two years to own it. I think. The marketing!

"After 12 installments, you can get a new iPhone and start a new iPhone Upgrade Program. No more waiting for your carrier contract to end. Just trade in your current iPhone for a new one, and your new program begins."

http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program
  • Reply 5 of 38
    The AppleCare incident charge has now gone up from $79 to $99
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Whoop dee doo
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

Yes, and the wording makes me think you restart the 24 month contract if you do as well — which I think means you'd have to keep the same phone for two years to own it. I think. The marketing!

"After 12 installments, you can get a new iPhone and start a new iPhone Upgrade Program. No more waiting for your carrier contract to end. Just trade in your current iPhone for a new one, and your new program begins."

If it's anything like Sprint's, the balance is wiped out when you upgrade every 12 months, but you have to trade in your current iPhone. You have the option to keep it and pay off the remaining balance. There are no contracts either way. You're just obligated to pay off the iPhone. 

• Reply 8 of 38

I think the difference here is that you also get Apple Care along with it which at least sweetens the pot. So if you were getting a lowest tier 6s with Apple Care it would be about $300 on contract while your monthly bill pays the subsidized difference (which doesn't come off the bill when the phone is paid off) but with the installment plans at the carriers it would be the flat $129 for Apple Care (new Apple Care pricing http://www.apple.com/shop/product/APP_IPHONE_6S_PLUS_AUTO-133580/applecare-for-iphone-6s-and-iphone-6s-plus) + the $27 a month giving you a cost of $453 throughout the year that you're beholden to the plan. Apple's upgrade program at $32 a month with Apple Care comes out to $384 for the year. Seems to be a net savings unless I'm missing something.

• Reply 9 of 38
    It's a lease program. I'm sure if you damage the phone in a significant way during the year, you'll be responsible for the full cost, unless Apple is also offering additional insurance for full phone replacement.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    I think the difference here is that you also get Apple Care along with it which at least sweetens the pot. So if you were getting a lowest tier 6s with Apple Care it would be about $300 on contract while your monthly bill pays the subsidized difference (which doesn't come off the bill when the phone is paid off) but with the installment plans at the carriers it would be the flat $129 for Apple Care (new Apple Care pricing http://www.apple.com/shop/product/APP_IPHONE_6S_PLUS_AUTO-133580/applecare-for-iphone-6s-and-iphone-6s-plus) + the $27 a month giving you a cost of $453 throughout the year that you're beholden to the plan. Apple's upgrade program at $32 a month with Apple Care comes out to $384 for the year. Seems to be a net savings unless I'm missing something.

There should be a savings, considering Apple is disintermediating the carriers and their markup.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    This is great that you can lease your phone directly from the Apple Store... but you still need service from a carrier.

So how much are the "[I]bring your own phone[/I]" plans from the carriers?

Will they be happy with this?
  • Reply 12 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    aircm1982 wrote: »
    Yes, trade in required that's why it's so cheap when the full retail is more like 800 or more. They're dividing the full cost by 24: want a new one in 12 and you turn in the old one. Pay out the full 24 and it's yours.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Wonder if those of us on unlimited data plans can get onboard with the Apple upgrade and not lose the unlimited LTE data. I'm on AT&T.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Did anyone notice that the screen shot in the presentation is $5 a month lower than is on Apple's upgrade webpage?
  • Reply 15 of 38
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    I'm concerned about the "Starting" part of "starting at $32" - does that mean that's the price for a 6 and the 6s and 6s are significantly more?
  • Reply 16 of 38
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I wonder what the monthly price for the 64 gig models will be.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Not sure I understand, but why are there 2 differing prices for the monthly cost of a new iPhone with the upgrade program

If you look on different areas of Apple's website you get different prices for what appears to be the same phone

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone6s
    16GB = 32.45 mo
    64GB = 37.45 mo
    128 GB = 42.45 mo

while on
    16GB = 32.41
    64 GB = 36.58
    128 GB = 40.75

what am I missing here?
    :???:
  • Reply 18 of 38
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    From the picture, there is no more gold color on 6 and 6Plus. Is that true?
  • Reply 19 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    vmarks wrote: »
    I'm concerned about the "Starting" part of "starting at $32" - does that mean that's the price for a 6 and the 6s and 6s are significantly more?
    Of course, they're always priced differently right? That's reflected in the graphics above.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's a lease program. I'm sure if you damage the phone in a significant way during the year, you'll be responsible for the full cost, unless Apple is also offering additional insurance for full phone replacement.

This isn't much different from a carrier subsidized model. If you break (as opposed to damage covered under an AppleCare plan) the carrier doesn't change the terms of your contract and you still need to purchase another phone to use.