Overhauled $149 Apple TV features App Store, Siri remote and cross-service content search

Comments

• Reply 61 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtrace View Post

Not here to tear people down, but after delaying the new Apple TV for so long, it is just arrogant to expect people to wait another year or two for this to take off.  I'm not happy with the new Apple TV, it's a repackage job of existing tech, and the games thus far look like third rate Wii titles from 2006.

sorry but your expectations were out of wack then.

if they build it they will come.  Like all Apple products its a ramp up to near perfection.  It took 2-3 generations for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod to be totally polished.  I expect AppleTV to dominate the living room by 2017.

Apple TV was released in Jan. 2007. It's been a long enough ramp.

@dtrace is right.

• Reply 62 of 330
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

4k is still a "standard" in transition. Lately, they added HDR, so all the bleeding edge buyers are behind the power curve already. Most of the public is happy with 1080P and will be buying upgrades, whatever the standard, when they need a replacement.

As for games, there's plenty here for developers to work with, and the only real complaints will be from those looking for or defending the consoles and console games.

• Reply 63 of 330
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member

I'll get one, as it shows promise but I'm not jumping out of my socks yet...I hope it supports 4k, and will be followed by a 4K option in the iTunes Store.

But the 800 pound elephant in the room is Apple could not, apparently, break the existing distribution paradigm for television content. Nothing that comes close to being able to cut the cable cord. For a device called Apple TV, there was very little talk of television.

• Reply 64 of 330
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

You're dreaming. Even on this forum I can just about hear everyone yawning. This was a pathetic update.

That's actually an echo... If you'll notice it's mostly the same people posting over and over, which is typical for self-righteous people - their opinion is obviously the correct one. Personally, if you don't like something, who cares. You think a few opinionated strangers on a message board is going to change how someone feels about something?

• Reply 65 of 330
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

mixture of siri and touch  

Plus gyro plus accelerometer plus apps plus new OS. Nice upgrade imo.

• Reply 66 of 330

The fashion and shopping stuff is the clearest sign that Steve is gone. That's something that should have been said "no" to.

Oh, I don't know about that. A portion of the sales of goods through Apple TV will all go to Apple. Shopping on the TV is huge business.
  • Reply 67 of 330
    sog35 wrote: »
    Sorry but you are a hardcore gamer.  Have fun with your Shield or Steam Box.

The other 90% of the population will love the AppleTV.

Except 90% of the population won't have the Apple TV. So there that.

I've owned all the streaming boxes and sticks and have been patiently waiting for the new Apple TV. It's not as great as I wanted it to be but I'll be buying the 64GB. Can't wait to try it out.
  • Reply 68 of 330
    sog35 wrote: »
    So you are going to believe dtrace instead of the CEO of Apple?  Your choice I guess.

The AppleTV till today was simply a streaming device.  Starting today its a full blown platform with Apps.  Big difference.

Old AppleTV = feature phone
    New AppleTV = iPhone

Get the difference?  Without Apps the iPhone would just be a pretty feature phone.

I know right. Can't wait to play multi-player crossy road instead of games like Destiny and the like.
  • Reply 69 of 330
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member

All the comments about Steve cracked TV this, All we got was that amuse me.

Just because he cracked it in his mind doesn't mean it's going to happen over night.

This AppleTV update is clearly the foundation of what is to come. 

Apple always does this. They lay the foundation, which is never as "amazing" as everyone was thinking/hoping, and then slowly builds. After a few short years their product is 1000x more amazing than anyone had originally imagined. 

It gets old sometimes.

• Reply 70 of 330
    Apple delivered almost every thing I wanted -- unfortunately I'll have to buy 3 devices to get it.

IMO, The iPad Pro won the day A9X, Display, Pencil ...

ATV -- baby steps instead of giant steps:

[QUOTE]And where[S] are the clowns[/S] is the A9X?
    There ought to be[S] clowns[/S] an A9X ...
    Well, maybe next year.[/QUOTE]

iPhone 3D Touch, 4K & great camera!
  • Reply 71 of 330
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Apple TV was released in Jan. 2007. It's been a long enough ramp.

@dtrace is right.

So you are going to believe dtrace instead of the CEO of Apple?  Your choice I guess.

The AppleTV till today was simply a streaming device.  Starting today its a full blown platform with Apps.  Big difference.

Old AppleTV = feature phone

New AppleTV = iPhone

Get the difference?  Without Apps the iPhone would just be a pretty feature phone.

No I am going to believe @dtrace over you in this instance.

I will pass on this version that offers me nothing new to my living room that I don't already have hooked up to my TV except for that copy of the WiiMote controller.

• Reply 72 of 330

This looks like a nice enough upgrade, but not groundbreaking until we see what app developers will do.  iPhone wasn't even a tenth the device it was to become until the App Store came along and cool apps came out.

What I really, really want is for geofencing to stop on the sports apps.  The MLB app will be cool (as it is on the iPhone/iPad), but it sucks that I can't watch Giants games, because I'm geo-blocked.  I'd drop DirecTV in a heartbeat if I could get Giants games, Sharks games and Formula 1 races on an Apple TV app.  That and Netflix and my TV needs are set.

• Reply 73 of 330
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Amazing update, exactly what I've been hoping for.

The storage options make sense. Storage is for Apps only. Unlike iOS devices that are portable and sometimes require stored media, the AppleTV is not. It stays one in place, streams content, and doesn't store it (or have any need to).

• Reply 74 of 330

Every year, Eddie Cue's belly hangs over his belt more and more.

• Reply 75 of 330
    Quote:

That would be tough.  Your local TV station is paying BILLIONS for the rights to show those MLB games.

How much would you pay to watch all the Giant games?  Would $40 for a skinny package be too much?

Couple of hundred bucks.

I'm paying about $1200 a year for DirecTV.  If I could get Giants for $200, Sharks for another $200, and Formula 1 for another $200, with $100 a year for Netflix, I'm still winning.

• Reply 76 of 330
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

No I am going to believe @dtrace over you in this instance.

I will pass on this version that offers me nothing new to my living room that I don't already have hooked up to my TV except for that copy of the WiiMote controller.

What do you have as your set top box?  A roku, old AppleTV?

A small computer and an xbox.

I know you are going to laugh and make fun and try to tear me apart and say I am not the target market so save yourself the trouble.

• Reply 77 of 330
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Come on, no company makes products just for hobby. You know best they do this for profit, and possibly to pave the ground for something that pays off big time. This new one is an evolution, not the revolution (yet).

I agree with the "hobby" thing - that's mainly marketing crap. "Hobby" simply meant that Apple's expectations for the device weren't as high as they were for their other products. The AppleTV (in its current form) had no where to go. It had always been designed as a simple means to get iTunes content onto the living room screen. Which was then expanded to support content from other sources.

But I have to disagree that this is simply an evolution of the device. It is in fact a completely new platform. And like every new platform, will take time to grow and expand and become the thing you were hoping for.

• Reply 78 of 330
    Quote:

The AppleTV skinny package suppose to be about $40 and would include all the broadcast channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) and 35 of the most popular cable channels (ESPN, TNT, HDTV, Food, ect).

My guess is that would cover all your local sports but not sure about Formula 1.

That would definitely be a step in the direction of me ditching DirecTV.

I want true a la carte TV.  It sucks that I partially pay for The History Channel, even though I literally never watch it.  I'm not that fussed about saving much money, I'd just rather the money I spend goes on what I watch, rather than a whole load of bullshit.

• Reply 79 of 330
    Simplified Siri voice search and downloadable third-party apps are the centerpieces of the brand new Apple TV, which also boasts a Bluetooth touchpad remote and an overhauled, colorful user interface.

Why can't Apple TV just work from an iPhone or iPad. Why am additional remote.
  • Reply 80 of 330

The best thing about 4K cameras is they produce better HD output.