Rumor: Apple to launch 21.5-inch iMac with 4K Retina display in October

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Tim Cook outright said that Apple regards the bigger iPad as the future of personal computing. And they released a physical keyboard for it too. I wonder how long until the Mac is simply discontinued?

I have no idea.

But the next iMacs will be unveiled next month, and I'm almost certainly buying one.

• Reply 42 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I bet the Mac won’t see 2021.

Have you watched the news lately? Much of the planet may be in danger of not seeing 2021.

• Reply 43 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Yes, it's in a 7000-seat theatre. It's also being streamed to Windows users for the first time.

It's about the TV. Everyone watches TV. Apple has had high hopes for TV for a decade, and it's finally time.

When you go after Big Cable and Nintendo at the same time, it's helps to make a big splash.

The Mac updates will wait a month, unless the new iMacs 'hook' into the TV universe somehow.

In case anybody is still listening, apparently Apple completely rebuild the interior to cut the seating down to about 2000 and filled the rest with hands-on areas (ok, maybe they still hid some empty space with this). It then added 1500 Apple employees to about 500 invited people.

• Reply 44 of 58
    noirdesir wrote: »

In case anybody is still listening, apparently Apple completely rebuild the interior to cut the seating down to about 2000 and filled the rest with hands-on areas (ok, maybe they still hid some empty space with this). It then added 1500 Apple employees to about 500 invited people.

You mean Taylor didn't come? ;)
  • Reply 45 of 58
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    frank777 wrote: »

Have you watched the news lately? Much of the planet may be in danger of not seeing 2021.

Have I missed a sudden headline about an impending nuclear war?
  • Reply 46 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Tim Cook outright said that Apple regards the bigger iPad as the future of personal computing. And they released a physical keyboard for it too. I wonder how long until the Mac is simply discontinued?

Quote:

Tim Cook on iPad Pro (during Keynote):

"iPad Pro is the clearest expression of our vision of the future of personal computing."

Tim Cook on the future of the Mac (recent Buzzfeed interview);

http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkowski/twenty-minutes-with-tim-cook#.ho7n0ldk9a

"Two last questions as we turn the corner onto Fifth Avenue: The first — how close are we to a time when people are going to stop buying home computers and laptops and use only tablets? Will they give up their Macs for the iPad Pro? “I think that some people will never buy a computer,” Cook says. “Because I think now we’re at the point where the iPad does what some people want to do with their PCs.” Cook is quick to point out, however, that this doesn’t foreshadow the end of the Mac. “I think there are other people — like myself — that will continue to buy a Mac and that it will continue to be a part of the digital solution for us,” he adds. “I see the Mac being a key part of Apple for the long term and I see growth in the Mac for the long term.” "

Are they contradictions?

• Reply 47 of 58
    Quote:

I don't care how big the room is. Apple is not going to introduce new iPhones, iPads, iMacs, MacBooks, Mac Pros and El Capitan all at one event.

An October event is all but guaranteed.

Apple's chosen to make El Capitan available via press release.

No Skylake hardware announcements yet, but for now it is beginning to look like I was wrong about an October Mac event.

• Reply 48 of 58

Apple's chosen to make El Capitan available via press release.

No Skylake hardware announcements yet, but for now it is beginning to look like I was wrong about an October Mac event.

Darn. So no "One more thing" Apple Car this year I suppose. Apple is doomed!

/s :)
  • Reply 49 of 58

Apple introduced the 5K iMac and an upgraded Mac Mini on the same day of Yosemite's release last year.

On a Thursday in mid-October.

So perhaps they've decided to release El Capitan earlier this year just because it was ready, or maybe they want to release a .1 update before releasing the new Skylake Macs in mid-to-late October.

The lack of rumours at this stage is troubling though. I'm waiting for the fall upgrades to purchase, so maybe I'm just getting antsy.

• Reply 50 of 58
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

If we are around in 2021 there will still be Mac OS systems around. Think of iPads as personal computers and Macs as professional computers. Considering that Macs offer Apple increasing sales in a world where PC sales have plummeted I don't see any reason to get rid of Macs.
  • Reply 51 of 58

This is so true! Further it isn't clear who would come out a winner if the mindless have their way. One of the problems with having a no first strike policy is that it allows the more wicked governments out there to ramp up their capabilities to the point that they are a threat to everybody. Instead of a couple of small nuclear wars we are looking at a massive one.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    winter wrote: »
    Have I missed a sudden headline about an impending nuclear war?

All you need to do is to read the headlines on a daily basis. We haven't been this close to nuclear war for at least 5 decades.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

...there will still be Mac OS systems around.

Sure. OS XI systems, but that’s still “Mac OS”.

When I say there won’t be Macs, I mean to say that Apple will be on to its third naming convention by then. First the Apple, then the Macintosh, next the... Jonathan? Not mouse and keyboard, but desktop multitouch.

• Reply 54 of 58
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

I’m of a few minds about what’s going on in the world, but the fundamental point of being a superpower is not to meddle in everyone’s affairs. Its so that people will leave you alone. I’ve been in opposition to American foreign policy for over 100 years now. We need to go full on isolationist again. In addition, we need to level the Federal Reserve and return to the silver standard. Let the rest of the world destroy itself if it wants. What do we care, unless we’re directly attacked and out on an adventure to directly annex some more land to the United States? Why do we have to care about anyone but America?

But the US economy is so big, that even purely domestic decisions effect other countries. e.g. if the US Federal Government decided to lower the domestic fuel excise from 18c/gallon to 10c it might cause consumption of fuel to go up in the US which in turn would leave leave less supply for the rest of the world, causing prices to go up in other countries. Whereas if a smaller country (e.g. New Zealand) did that, world prices probably wouldn't change.

As long as your economy is so big that even purely domestic decisions can change prices elsewhere, other countries are going to mess with you, regardless of what you do or don't do militarily. There is simply no policy decision you can take, or foreign relations posture you can adopt that will result in you being "left alone."

• Reply 55 of 58

I like political discussions as much as anyone, but keep them in the PO forum.

The 4K Retina iMac must not be drowned out by politics, especially when some of us are waiting to buy this year's upgrade, and the media event (if there is one coming) hasn't been announced yet.

• Reply 56 of 58
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member

I am waiting a new  I Mac Retina 27 inch, and many people are waiting for the retina 4K 20 inch

I would love a 24 inch 4 K retina , but there isn't any news

• Reply 57 of 58

I like political discussions as much as anyone, but keep them in the PO forum.

Of all the political discussion that stays up in the regular forum, it seems really odd that our posts would be edited like that...

My best friend’s after an iMac this year, so I guess I now care about the launch of the new generation. I wonder if the retina 21.5” release will begin the push downward of retina model prices (and overall).

Have the chips slated for it been announced yet?