Apple unveils $799 12.9" iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil accessories

Comments

• Reply 101 of 235
    I am truly digging the iPad pro. I will be purchasing the keyboard and the stylus. This machine will improve so many things for me. The only question I have is whether the machine comes with the rumored USB-C port?

This is the machine for me. Passed up on the MacBook. For roughly the same cost as the MacBook with the Core M, the machine should be far more capable. I was looking at the Surface, but the battery life is quite significantly inferior to my current iPad Air in real time usage. The software availability for iOS is superior and there are some very nice games on iOS that have not made it to Windows.

Besides, there are a wealth of 3d party file managers for iOS.

A machine that's faster than 80% of the laptops sold in the past year with 10 hours of battery life, a real keyboard and an accurate stylus is pretty compelling. With all due respects to the Wintel advocates, I don't want Windows with and I don't need Intel and their horribly inflated CPU prices.
  • Reply 102 of 235
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

I've got a bit of an issue with their suggestion to charge the Apple Pencil through the iPad Pro. So you pop the end of the Pencil off and stick it straight in the Pro's lightening port? Um...well then you have it sticking out the bottom and it's liable to snap off. Plus it will look ridiculous! They should have added a silo within the body of the Pro to store and charge the pencil like other vendors do.

It's only on the bottom in portrait. To use the iPad Pro Smart Keyboard or Logitech's newly announced iPad Pro keyboard, the iPad Pro must be landscape; which puts the Lightening Port on the right side of the iPad as pictured here. (second pic)

• Reply 103 of 235
    First step towards recovery is admitting you are wrong, because you do NOT know... nor do I... what SJ would or wouldn't do at this time and space in the continuum.

Face it: you need professional help with Windows, and you're not likely to get it here.

[@]Vision33r[/@]
  • Reply 104 of 235
    herbivore wrote: »
    I am truly digging the iPad pro. I will be purchasing the keyboard and the stylus. This machine will improve so many things for me. The only question I have is whether the machine comes with the rumored USB-C port?

This is the machine for me. Passed up on the MacBook. For roughly the same cost as the MacBook with the Core M, the machine should be far more capable. I was looking at the Surface, but the battery life is quite significantly inferior to my current iPad Air in real time usage. The software availability for iOS is superior and there are some very nice games on iOS that have not made it to Windows.

Besides, there are a wealth of 3d party file managers for iOS.

A machine that's faster than 80% of the laptops sold in the past year with 10 hours of battery life, a real keyboard and an accurate stylus is pretty compelling. With all due respects to the Wintel advocates, I don't want Windows with and I don't need Intel and their horribly inflated CPU prices.

What were you planning to use the USB-C port for, because I didn't see one mentioned. Hoping not to bum your enthusiasm for the device though, because everything else you wrote says, you want, need and understand why you want an iPad Pro.
  • Reply 105 of 235
    conrail wrote: »
    But no trackpad.

Going from the keyboard to the touch screen over and over again is about as ergonomic as an ATM machine.

Sorry, but the truth hurts sometimes.
    . Get an "OCR" program, don't use the keyboard & write directly on the screen! mrphil49
  • Reply 106 of 235
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

store.apple.com doesn’t exist anymore. How are we supposed to browse things? And I guess they just won’t sell third party anything anymore?

Well, I simply click any of the ACCESSORIES' ICON, which appear at the top of the respective Mac, iPad and iPhone product pages. From there I can click "Browse all…"

Mac

iPhone

iPad

• Reply 107 of 235
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

A nice piece of kit for the right use cases - one of which is going to be all the new enterprise stuff Apple's working on with IBM, Cisco and others.  Plus users will have plenty of access to most of what anyone needs to do with MS Office and other apps.  Also should be great for a number of creative type uses.

Altho apps like Evernote and Google Photos are getting me out of the file management business in some respects, I'm still very Finder and Explorer dependent to get to what I want so dunno if an iOS device is a prime solution for me, however when you do the math on a fully specced iPP with the KB, pencil and LTE - $1079 + $169 + 99, that's $1347 for a machine that will do much of what a high end MB Air does and a number of cool or key (depending on your needs) things it doesn't (@ $1499 with an i7 and 8GB of RAM). 

It does make one wonder about the future of the MBA, which has already been much speculated about since the release of the new MB retina, and the dated screen res on the "Air line"......

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Seeing the Microsoft guys there and the nice features of the iPad Office apps, I have to wonder if something has changed at MS in their attitude towards Apple.  I bet the new leader has told his minions to stop treating Apple as an enemy and to find ways of cooperating with them, thus profiting.

I call you a little late to this party.  MS has already released something like 50 apps (or more) for Apple products, both OS X and and iOS based - and recently has been releasing its Apple versions generally before its Windows (and Android) ones.... ...and often as free versions at that.  

In fact it's clear (IMO) that MS and Apple are very much de facto allies against the Googplex for the time being.  (NTM that even Google sometimes puts out apps that are arguably better on iOS than on its own Android platform).  And Nadella's an entirely different fella than Bombastic B.

With Redmond going off the tracks in its mobile efforts over the last decade, hitching onto iOS has, in fact, been the only way it's stayed relevant in the mobile space which is eclipsing the PC-centric era. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

In my experience on this site, intelligent posts DO tend to encourage intelligent responses.

On occasion.  Or they encourage crickets.  Inflammatory stuff gets far more forum action.  Generally stereotypical heard a million times before reactions, but volume, yes...

• Reply 108 of 235
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Looks really slick! These are going to sell like hotcakes IMO. Kinda funny to think about all of the people laughing at MSFT charging $100 for their keyboard, then Apple goes and charges $169 for one.

It's always the Apple strategy to get ahead of the curve, the profit...

• Reply 109 of 235
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I agree that this will be big for enterprise.

I can already see me ditching my Macbook Pro in favor of this at the office.

Is this running iOS or OSX?  I can't ditch my mbp if this is running iOS.  

• Reply 110 of 235
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    captain j wrote: »
    So Apple basically copied the Surface Pro 3 with a keyboard cover and stylus.

The main problem with the Surface Pro is the OS. Then start comparing the hardware. Not even a close call. MS are backing the iPad Pro as they know it's the only way they have a chance of getting a small part of the mobile profits.
  • Reply 111 of 235
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

First step towards recovery is admitting you are wrong, because you do NOT know... nor do I... what SJ would or wouldn't do at this time and space in the continuum.

Face it: you need professional help with Windows, and you're not likely to get it here.

@Vision33r

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/jobs-if-you-see-a-stylus-or-a-task-manager-they-blew-it/

• Reply 112 of 235
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Please provide a link to an Apple made keyboard case prior to the Surface being released.
    Apple didn't make one, but they did patent the incorporation of devices into the cover of a tablet, including a keyboard, in 2010.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/13/apple-patents-smart-covers-for-devices/

My understanding, when I heard that MS were releasing such a cover for the Surface was that Apple had licensed the patent to them. (I could be wrong, but I'm sure I heard it somewhere.)

Of course, they did release an iPad keyboard with the original iPad, the iPad Keyboard Dock. I was kind of sad they didn't sell one to go with the iPad 2. Now, I don't really care enough.
    applebilly wrote: »
    Ug. No mouse? useless..
    And still no kickstand...massive fail.

Seriously, the iPad Pro looks great. Not sure it suits my purposes, but it's tempting. (I'd have to see if it fits in the Tablet pocket on my jacket first. Also, price may be a bit high due to the low value of our dollar at the moment.)
  • Reply 113 of 235
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    First impressions from Wired's David Pierce:

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/hands-huge-new-apple-ipad-pro-pencil-stylus/
    [QUOTE]During the keynote, Apple execs talked a lot about how difficult this screen was to create—but you’d never know. It’s smooth and fast; in fact, every part of the iPad Pro is smooth and fast. [B][U]The $99 Pencil stylus feels like a particular triumph: It is, bar none, the most fluid and lag-free stylus I’ve ever used.[/U][/B] The big, white cylinder is downright fancy; it feels like you should use it for calligraphy or signing the Declaration of Independence. But whether I was marking up an email in Mail, or doodling in Notes, it worked just incredibly well.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 114 of 235
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    drutkiew wrote: »
    Apple created the tablet market.  who copied who?  The entire industry copied Apple.

There were tablets before the iPad. Apple doesn't create things, they take a new approach to current devices.
  • Reply 115 of 235
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    So Apple basically copied the Surface Pro 3 with a keyboard cover and stylus.

The main problem with the Surface Pro is the OS. Then start comparing the hardware. Not even a close call. MS are backing the iPad Pro as they know it's the only way they have a chance of getting a small part of the mobile profits.

Good to see you posting again. I noticed your absence a few days ago.
  • Reply 116 of 235
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

First impressions from Wired's David Pierce:

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/hands-huge-new-apple-ipad-pro-pencil-stylus/

I'm sure a $100 pencil is nice for those that need it.  But in today's world of office workers, who still writes with a pen or pencil for a living?

It's a very niche market so I would expect fewer people would use it and more people now would call for a mouse or touchpad for use with iPad pro.

Personally I think the price point Apple is asking is very close to getting a 12" MB which give you a better keyboard and trackpad.

• Reply 117 of 235
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

And the Surface Pro wasn't?  The Keyboard cover that MS showed us nearly 3 years ago including a pressure sensitive stylus that is only $39

This is easily the worst show in recent memory and I'm so sad that the company that Steve built is now a blatant copy cat.

Not to mention they couldn't demo the iPad Pro with Apple built Apps but invited Microsoft to showcase Office on it.  Steve would never accept that.

And yet with the Surface Pro, MS couldn't get Adobe to revamp their whole line of applications to support the new stylus features offering very little incentive to use their stylus. As a matter of fact, they didn't even have their own software team investigate ways to better integrate the tablet experience for Office unlike the Mac Office team. MS beat Apple in hardware and didn't bother to provide decent tools for them. It's like designing a new hammer to drive in the same old nails. In Apple's case, not only did they release new hardware, they made them viable by providing new applications that actually enhanced the experience.

• Reply 118 of 235
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

I'm sure a $100 pencil is nice for those that need it.  But in today's world of office workers, who still writes with a pen or pencil for a living?

It's a very niche market so I would expect fewer people would use it and more people now would call for a mouse or touchpad for use with iPad pro.

Personally I think the price point Apple is asking is very close to getting a 12" MB which give you a better keyboard and trackpad.

... and no stylus ...

• Reply 119 of 235
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    vision33r wrote: »

Who wants to use a mouse with an iPad? Yuck.
  • Reply 120 of 235
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    I read that Microsoft licensed Apple technology to build the Surface

I wonder if they licensed the keyboard, which they've been sitting on since 2012

http://www.google.com/patents/US20140083883

Or maybe it was the keyboard connector.