Overhauled $149 Apple TV features App Store, Siri remote and cross-service content search

Comments

• Reply 81 of 330
    He said the Apple TV Remote can turn on the TV, adjust its volume, and even switch an A/V receiver's input "via CEC." What's CEC?
  • Reply 82 of 330
    The new ATV is NOT 4K (2160P) capable according to the specs. FAIL Apple!

http://www.apple.com/tv/compare/
  • Reply 83 of 330
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

For the last effing time:

TELL US EXACTLY WHAT YOU EXPECTED TODAY.  AND BE SPECIFIC.

If I let go of my expectations, then I am happy with the new AppleTV. I can understand the incentive for the App store/gaming. It will be a money maker.

However, I, like others did expected more. Why? Because it is been many years of waiting for this hobby to become a game changer. When Jobs said we've finally cracked it, that gave many people the impression it would be a game changer. We waited and waited and waited longer for it to be revealed. Many attributed the delay to difficult negotiations with content providers as the reason. Once this nut was cracked, we would have the announcement.

Yet, this was no game changer. Granted, the agreements with the content providers are still on the horizon and maybe that will make a difference. However, for me, I think the AppleTV must move up a level in the hierarchy of interface navigation. As with the CarPlay, it is still a sub level. They need to have the Apple GUI be the the main control for the tv itself, including any peripherals like a dvd player (if anyone still has one). HomeKit seems to promise possibility for that. But, that was not mentioned today was it.

So I guess what I and others are disappointed about is that this was supposed to "change the way we watch tv," and it didn't. All we really got was a new remote, Siri and a new interface, oh and games. Nice stuff, but certainly it doesn't change the way I watch tv.

• Reply 84 of 330

I am positive AppleTV will be better than most cable boxes out there. Even the latest Xfinity box always crashes, nice On Demand features but will see what tvOS brings.

• Reply 85 of 330
    mjtomlin wrote: »

I agree with the "hobby" thing - that's mainly marketing crap. "Hobby" simply meant that Apple's expectations for the device weren't as high as they were for their other products. The AppleTV (in its current form) had no where to go. It had always been designed as a simple means to get iTunes content onto the living room screen. Which was then expanded to support content from other sources.

But I have to disagree that this is simply an evolution of the device. It is in fact a <span style="line-height:1.4em;">completely new platform. And like every new platform, will take time to grow and expand and become the thing you were hoping for.</span>

That's why I wrote "yet". I do see potential in the new ATV. It is just not there yet to be the interruptive product. As mentioned before we need apps, controllers, home kit accessories etc. ATV is ready and can say "bring it on". But just now, right now, I don't see the reason for upgrading my 4th gen yet. Even the remote: in the end my iPhone does this and allow even keyboard input. I'm sure, one year from now that may change, though.
  • Reply 86 of 330
    sog35 wrote: »
    Ever heard of Google?  They make a ton of hobby products.

The AppleTV was a hobby.  

Jesus, sog, don't compare Apple to Google now. That's like comparing nearing my favorite Italian restaurant to a frozen pizza.

The ATV was not a hobby. They just didn't know where to take it to make it a breakthrough product so it went like the iPod at some time: too much to kill, too little to live. That being said: I already love my 4th gen and I'm sure the new one will be great - eventually.
  • Reply 87 of 330
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Based on the performance graph from A8 to A9 shown during the iPad intro, I feel releasing the aTV without the best graphics performance available was a mistake. A higher performance GPU makes it easier for big companies like EA to port games to the aTV.

You can't really base anything off that performance graph though, can you? That graph compares devices that have to be conscious of energy usage. A device plugged into the wall does not need to be tuned for energy efficiency, as such, the CPU/GPU clock speed can be increased dramatically.

• Reply 88 of 330
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    I never said they were announcing a TV package the last few days.  It was common knowlege that the TV package was still under negotations.

With the A8 chip HomeKit is a given.  Its going to happen but they don't have time to cover everything.

Dedicated home controllers will come out soon enough by 3rd party.

Why wouldn't existing iOS game controllers work right now? I imagine they probably do.
  • Reply 89 of 330

I like what I saw, but I don't believe this will work for me - or for millions of others as the rural bandwidth is too slow.  I have 10Mb/s and it doesn't even really allow me to stream iTunes movie rentals, let alone view live TV.  This is especially true during peak TV viewing hours (early to mid-evenings), when the bandwidth drops to half my normal rate or less.  After trying to rent Lucy (and failing several times to view it successfully, I finally just bought it and downloaded the whole thing before I could watch it uninterrupted.  

I also don't understand the 32Gb vs 64Gb memory?  Nearly all of my experience with Apple TV is slow streaming.  Will the extra memory allow pre-downloads of full content or is this for apps and gaming?

• Reply 90 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, I don't know about that. A portion of the sales of goods through Apple TV will all go to Apple. Shopping on the TV is huge business.

no they don't.  Apple's in app purchases where they get a cut are only for digital content.

• Reply 91 of 330
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

I'm blown away. Can't wait to get one of these. I'll really use it, and looking forward to seeing what the devs do with tvOS. And $149 is a bargain. But October? Yeesh. It's like AW all over again. Take my money, damn you!

Sog35 is right on all points. This is really a great product right now, and it is going to get better. They will sell a buttload of these for the holidays.

Slightly o/t: today's show was great; really dug all of it. But...2 hours? Wow. I was sort of curious to see how many people in the audience were hanging their wrists vertical at 10min to the hour to get their "stand" goal circles.

I do admit the iPadPro was cool, but maybe it needed it's own event in October, if for no other reason than to cut this one down to an hour. Yes, the app store capability is on ATV is cool, and needed demo, but Gilt? People really shop like that?

• Reply 92 of 330
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    techno wrote: »

If I let go of my expectations, then I am happy with the new AppleTV. I can understand the incentive for the App store/gaming. It will be a money maker.

However, I, like others did expected more. Why? Because it is been many years of waiting for this hobby to become a game changer. When Jobs said we've finally cracked it, that gave many people the impression it would be a game changer. We waited and waited and waited longer for it to be revealed. Many attributed the delay to difficult negotiations with content providers as the reason. Once this nut was cracked, we would have the announcement.

Yet, this was no game changer. Granted, the agreements with the content providers are still on the horizon and maybe that will make a difference. However, for me, I think the AppleTV must move up a level in the hierarchy of interface navigation. As with the CarPlay, it is still a sub level. They need to have the Apple GUI be the the main control for the tv itself, including any peripherals like a dvd player (if anyone still has one). HomeKit seems to promise possibility for that. But, that was not mentioned today was it.

So I guess what I and others are disappointed about is that this was supposed to "change the way we watch tv," and it didn't. All we really got was a new remote, Siri and a new interface, oh and games. Nice stuff, but certainly it doesn't change the way I watch tv.

Good lord, you only watch TV one way, with your eyeballs. What on earth were you expecting??? A neural implant? The new Apple TV lays the foundation. The search is pretty awesome. Once it's fully built out and content is properly categorized and tagged, search will absolutely change the way you find content to watch. But you'll still watch with your eyes.

And please, leave Jobs out of it. He's dead and gone. That "cracked it" quote needs to die too.
  • Reply 93 of 330
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    No Home Kit, Ha to the mutha f'ing HA.

As does my Xbox One. Sog had me worried for a second. :lol:
  • Reply 94 of 330
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Gilt - She seemed excited with the app. :smokey:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The fashion and shopping stuff is the clearest sign that Steve is gone. That's something that should have been said "no" to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

I think you missed my point.  Watch that part again closely.

I am surprised no one else picked up on this....it was obvious from the start...

• Reply 95 of 330
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

This was the product announcement I was looking forward to the most...so a little disappointed, it could of used an A8X for quite a bit more oomph and not a lot more money. But overall its a worthwhile improvement over ATV3 and at that price I'll probably get one. There's definitely potential here. Actually this is the first generation of a new product line, so as with Apple tradition the second-gen version might be worth waiting for more...iPad 2 big improvement over iPad 1, iPhone 3G big improvement over original iPhone etc...The star of the show today for me was the iPad Pro though. Definitely the iPad I've been waiting for!

• Reply 96 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

You are definitely not mainstream.  Mainstream does not connect a computer to their TV set.

Not a dig at you, just the facts.  I'm not mainstream either but I'm realistic.  I'd rather have a $399 AppleTV but I know how Apple operates.

It would actually be easy. Apple already has the UI and ecosystem in place. The game developers would simply have to code for another console made by Apple, then Apple just supplies the hardware needed. Right now gamers have two real options Xbox One and PS4. Both are trying to do multimedia, Xbox One comes with a limited amount of Apps to download, Internet Explorer and online content. All Apple really needs to do is increase the hardware specs on Apple TV. 

• Reply 97 of 330

So the remote is cool, but now I would be back to at least two remotes to control many activities (harmony + ATV remote or iPhone/iPad). Bah ...

DTS would have been nice as well. Still waiting for ANY streaming player to include it. Still not sure what I want to do (other than wait longer to see what others come up with).

/sigh

• Reply 98 of 330
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

The AppleTV skinny package suppose to be about $40 and would include all the broadcast channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) and 35 of the most popular cable channels (ESPN, TNT, HDTV, Food, ect).

My guess is that would cover all your local sports but not sure about Formula 1.

That would definitely be a step in the direction of me ditching DirecTV.

I want true a la carte TV.  It sucks that I partially pay for The History Channel, even though I literally never watch it.  I'm not that fussed about saving much money, I'd just rather the money I spend goes on what I watch, rather than a whole load of bullshit.

You should watch Vikings. That alone is worth the little bit you pay for History Channel.
  • Reply 99 of 330
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    All I wanna know now: is Jen married? :p
    Hands off!

I hate the app model but whatever she's selling, I'm buying. She could have presented a pineapple with cocktail sticks shoved in it and I'd have been sold!
  • Reply 100 of 330
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    1. It is better than the current appletv on several fronts.
    2. It creates more reasons for tv show producers to get on apple TV. They can sell apps related to their TV shows for example.
    3. A few people will play games, perhaps even ad sponsored games. Ios and AX processors can scale and improve MUCH faster than the playstation iterations. Underestimating apple in this regard is a mistake.
    4. At least some of the apps will be useful, but many you wont care about due to redundancy on your phone.
    5. Clearly many were wishing for a full scale 4k gaming behemoth... I am one of those people. I feel like apple should have taken this bull by the horns. With metal/swift, they are ready to do this if they had game studio enthusiasm. I suspect they need to convince game developers that they can get a large established base of hardware.

I envision the huge and success ios games will be ported to apple tv so that you can continue a game you were playing on your phone...