Overhauled $149 Apple TV features App Store, Siri remote and cross-service content search

Comments

• Reply 141 of 330
    sog35 wrote: »
    For the last effing time:

TELL US EXACTLY WHAT YOU EXPECTED TODAY.  AND BE SPECIFIC.

Apple used to show new stuff that NO ONE expected.. That's how they got to be what they are today.
  • Reply 142 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I thought the issue with Toslink was it was limited to 1.5Mbps, and no one has produced a codec that will do 7.1 in that bit rate

It may well be a bandwidth issue...but regardless of if it's a bandwidth limitation or not, it still doesn't support it. :-)

• Reply 143 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

Do people really have big TVs in the living room? My living room is rules by by friends and family, music, and conversation. The TV is in the basement.

How is What Apple TV Can Be different from what X-Box Can Be? Apples products are better than Microsofts, but are the to companies now becoming very similar, following similar strategies? Execution is better at Appple, but strategy is the same. No surprises.

Yep, they do, and the average size for TVs continues to increase. The norm is for TVs to occupy the most heavily trafficked room in the house.

The set top box strategy by all these major players illustrates just how central the TV still is in most households. Control over the TV is a whole new distribution channel for whatever platform controls the TV. I've always said that the puzzle for the electronics industry has always been how to successfully navigate between the "lean forward" interactions with a PC versus the "lean back" interaction with the TV. The tablet is sort of a hybrid that solves some of these issues. But, that large screen is the interface puzzle that no one has been able to solve.

Today, Apple presented the interface. It's a novel approach that differs somewhat from the UIs used by MS, Google, Amazon, and the cable/sat companies. But, for Apple to truly disrupt the industry, it's all about the content, how it's delivered, and how much it costs. They have the hardware and the UI. But, we won't really see the impact until Apple reveals the content strategy behind it.

• Reply 144 of 330
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    woochifer wrote: »
    Older people are dying, yes. But, young people all have this habit of getting old.

That's one habit I've been trying real hard to kick.:lol:
  • Reply 145 of 330
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Yep, they do, and the average size for TVs continues to increase. The norm is for TVs to occupy the most heavily trafficked room in the house.

The set top box strategy by all these major players illustrates just how central the TV still is in most households. Control over the TV is a whole new distribution channel for whatever platform controls the TV. I've always said that the puzzle for the electronics industry has always been how to successfully navigate between the "lean forward" interactions with a PC versus the "lean back" interaction with the TV. The tablet is sort of a hybrid that solves some of these issues. But, that large screen is the interface puzzle that no one has been able to solve.

Today, Apple presented the interface. It's a novel approach that differs somewhat from the UIs used by MS, Google, Amazon, and the cable/sat companies. But, for Apple to truly disrupt the industry, it's all about the content, how it's delivered, and how much it costs. They have the hardware and the UI. But, we won't really see the impact until Apple reveals the content strategy behind it.

they don't quite have the hardware.....cough 4K, cough Dolby HD...

• Reply 146 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

just use a cable connected to your TV.  Or better use your Mac.

The penetration for 4k TV's is just too low right now.

Vizio has VERY inexpensive 4K sets, I have their P-Series...  

• Reply 147 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Except that part where Apple just announced 4K shooting iPhones. 

Dumb that we cannot see the full resolution of our new 4K iPhones on our new ATV.  FAIL Apple!

• Reply 148 of 330
    sog35 wrote: »
    Did anyone think the iPhone/iPad would bring an end to portable gaming in 2007?  

I am pretty sure EVERYONE did.
  • Reply 149 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Dumb that we cannot see the full resolution of our new 4K iPhones on our new ATV.  FAIL Apple!

Massive fail....I can't believe they missed this....

• Reply 150 of 330
    Quote:

Do we know for certain that Apple TV cannot support 4K? Maybe it'll just be a matter of a future software upgrade.

• Reply 151 of 330
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    dtrace wrote: »
    A dedicated controller, for starters.  Games that actually look like fun.  HomeKit.  Some kind of content update, aside from a re-skinned Netflix/Hulu.  At least one impressive app from the App Store at launch.  But heck...we have a screen saver that knows when it is day and when it is night.  Holy cow, no one was expecting that!  AWESOME SAUCE!!!

1. There in fact is a dedicated controller, and third-party companies have already started announcing other accessories.

2. It just came out, the games will follow. Duh!

3. Content? For those of us that have been following along closely, new content is hung up for awhile as major content providers haven't agreed to terms yet.

4. Home Kit - it is software! And guess what, just in case you missed it TVos is based on iOS, and anyone except a total moron would think that the Apple TV won't have the capability, let alone be upgradable to new features and functionality when they are available.

5. Anyone who has gone to the tech specs on apple.com will see that the new model includes a USB-C port for "service and support", along with a USB to Thunderbolt cable. Obviously there are capabilities that haven't been released yet.

So give it a rest with all your idiotic comments.
  • Reply 152 of 330
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

Next to no one has a 4K TV. Talk about dumb.... Let's file your comment there.
  • Reply 153 of 330
    Quote:

Vizio has VERY inexpensive 4K sets, I have their P-Series...  

In the UK, an increasing number of 4K sets are being sold. Netflix and Amazon 4K streaming is helping drive adoption and 4K Blu-ray will help drive new TV sales as well... It's not going to take a genius to start saying  why can't I display this great 4K footage on my phone on my TV..

• Reply 154 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

with respect, 4K is an increasingly growing market.

• Reply 155 of 330
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markcu View Post

with respect, 4K is an increasingly growing market.

http://4k.com/news/uk-4k-tv-sales-to-grow-five-fold-in-2015-5676/

http://www.twice.com/news/tv/global-4k-uhd-tv-shipments-700/55376

And while it relatively easy to shoot holes in any sales predictions, the drive towards higher resolution displays is unquestionable...after all can you buy an SD television now?  If you can they must be very very rare..

• Reply 156 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Actually UHD TVs already account for 14% of the market, and year-over-year sales have been doubling.

• Reply 157 of 330
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Quote:

A key feature that Apple dropped is the integration with iTunes Music and Radio. It's all Apple Music, and as someone who does not subscribe to Apple Music (and does not plan to anytime soon), this is a step back in functionality.

I'm not sure that's true. I'm rather hoping some of the "hands on" reports will clarify. I rather doubt it is gone, but you never know. Home share went away inexplicably with iOS8.4 - although it is supposed to be back in iOS9.

• Reply 158 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I'm not sure that's true. I'm rather hoping some of the "hands on" reports will clarify. I rather doubt it is gone, but you never know. Home share went away inexplicably with iOS8.4 - although it is supposed to be back in iOS9.

I would be massively surprised if it didn't link in to my iTunes here at home.

• Reply 159 of 330
    Quote:

Actually UHD TVs already account for 14% of the market, and year-over-year sales have been doubling.

It is the way forward...and costs will continue to drop..

• Reply 160 of 330
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markcu View Post

they don't quite have the hardware.....cough 4K, cough Dolby HD...

One issue with 4k devices is the number of early UHD TVs that lack HDCP 2.2 compliance. If Apple TV came with 4k support, it would certainly have to also be HDCP 2.2 compliant (per studio restrictions on 4k streaming content). Most home theater receivers more than 1.5 years old also cannot negotiate the HDCP 2.2 handshake. This is a matter of timing.

Also, I suspect that Apple's real end game for Apple TV is an over-the-top live TV service. And no broadcasters currently deliver UHD content, and that won't happen anytime soon. Broadcasters only finished the HD transition a few years ago, and most households still have issues with live HD streaming.

The lossless audio issue is just par for the course with movie streaming. No streaming service supports anything other than highly compressed audio. I don't even think anyone does DTS audio.