New Apple TV uses USB-C for service, ditches optical audio out port

Comments

• Reply 21 of 189
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    jamesjpn wrote: »
    Whaaaat!?!  This blows, I have an optical cable from my Apple TV to my stereo and am constantly streaming music to it through iTunes.  I also listen to movies through my stereo.....  I don't get it.
    For stereo sound, you don't need Optical port.
  • Reply 22 of 189
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Adapt. Things will obsolete over time. It's just that Apple pioneer in doing that.
  • Reply 23 of 189
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    A strange omission for sure. Looks like I'll be rewiring everything.
  • Reply 24 of 189
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member

WOW!!!  - they made it worse, way worse. Useless in fact.

The optical out was the MOST used feature on the ATV. Everyone I know who has one uses it.

Competitors are laughing their asses off right now, and a few million developers just lost interest.

Absolutely stupid stupid stupid decision. 

I can see Tim getting fired over this. It's that stupid.

• Reply 25 of 189
    bitmod wrote: »
    The optical out was the MOST used feature on the ATV. Everyone I know who has one uses it.

Competitors are laughing their asses off right now, and a few million developers just lost interest.

Lol.
  • Reply 26 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

No. If playing just music, you don't need the TV on with the existing ATV, this new one you do need the TV on and you've got to have a TV that has optical (or otherwise) audio out. Pretty stupid really.

Not if you run HDMI through your receiver, you don't. AppleTV -> Receiver -> TV where the receiver not only handles HDMI switching, but audio processing as well. Leave the TV off and control ?TV with Siri or with the iOS Remote app.

• Reply 27 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ingenious View Post

Lol.

They are going to get absolutely roasted over this.

I expect they have a few million ATV's and AE's they want to blow out before they re-release this one with at least 1 functional audio port.

Garbage hardware for interesting software - not like Apple at all.

• Reply 28 of 189
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    djames4242 wrote: »

Not if you run HDMI through your receiver, you don't. AppleTV -> Receiver -> TV where the receiver not only handles HDMI switching, but audio processing as well. Leave the TV off and control ?TV with Siri or with the iOS Remote app.

And replace my perfectly functioning home theatre audio system with one that's got HDMI in? No thanks. I've never even seen a HDMI-in audio system...
  • Reply 29 of 189
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

No. If playing just music, you don't need the TV on with the existing ATV, this new one you do need the TV on and you've got to have a TV that has optical (or otherwise) audio out. Pretty stupid really.

Yes exactly. All of the ?TVs installed at my company are set up with optical audio out, so the TVs can remain in the off position for an audio only playback. 

• Reply 29 of 189
    So no 4K UHD or GigE, but we get a USB-C port in case it needs to be taken into for service. The former I'm alright with, but not having GigE which means the actual throughput over 802.11ac is faster than 100 BASE-T, although I'll still likely use Ethernet because of the lower chance for interference.
  • Reply 31 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Anyone with an older receiver, 2 channel receiver, older TV's, sound bars and home theater specific audio setups - are SOL.

That's a lot of SOL. 

It's not like people are running out and buying new receivers every day to work with a $100 fad gadget.

• Reply 32 of 189
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bitmod View Post

Right... YOu are completely off our rocker, buy the $20 dongle and save your sanity.

• Reply 33 of 189
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bitmod View Post

They are going to get absolutely roasted over this.

I expect they have a few million ATV's and AE's they want to blow out before they re-release this one with at least 1 functional audio port.

Garbage hardware for interesting software - not like Apple at all.

Give me a break, get a god damn adapter and stop whining.

• Reply 34 of 189

That USB C port is not just there for diagnostics. No Way. Apple has plans for that...be it pairing ?TV to a Mac or iOS device, or to some next generation display.

No one believes Apple will make a new stand alone display...I'm not one of those people. I think they will make an Apple branded mid-size 21-30" display soon.

• Reply 35 of 189
    They can't take away the DVDs player, no one will will buy a computer without a DVD player... Oh wait /s
  • Reply 36 of 189
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    welshdog wrote: »
    This will fix your lack of audio output issue: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10251

$47, and another box.

Yep, that's the cost of progress.

(Btw, the link posted to one on Amazon by a later poster -- which has four HDMI outs and everything else that the Monoprice one has -- is $32)
  • Reply 37 of 189
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    welshdog wrote: »
    This will fix your lack of audio output issue: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10251

$47, and another box.

Yep, that's the cost of progress.

(Btw, the link posted to one on Amazon by a later poster -- which has four HDMI outs and everything else that the Monoprice one has -- is $32)

Having to buy additional equipment is regress not progress.
  • Reply 38 of 189

So, it's not for you, is it? And You =/= World, are you? For example, it works perfectly for my use case -- so what?

Apple is still selling the $69 one, if I understood Eddie Cue. Be happy.
  • Reply 39 of 189
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Wow! some of these comments are hilarious!!!

To sum them up... "Apple just destroyed my life with a device I don't ever need to buy, because apparently my current setup is perfect!!!"

Yeah, you can just buy an older AirPort Express and hook it up to your stereo receiver. Then AirPlay audio to it from the AppleTV. Plus, you'll have the ability to AirPlay music from any iOS device or iTunes.

I have a few old AirPort Expresses connected to remote speakers around my apartment; living room, front porch, kitchen, bedroom, basement. When I watch a concert performance on my AppleTV I just set it to play on the living room stereo (bigger speakers).

• Reply 40 of 189
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

So, it's not for you, is it? And You =/= World, are you? For example, it works perfectly for my use case -- so what?

Apple is still selling the $69 one, if I understood Eddie Cue. Be happy.

Of course nobody equals the world, but they just crippled a pretty darn good device.