New Apple TV uses USB-C for service, ditches optical audio out port

Comments

• Reply 41 of 189
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    bitmod wrote: »
    WOW!!!  - they made it worse, way worse. Useless in fact.
    The optical out was the MOST used feature on the ATV. Everyone I know who has one uses it.

Competitors are laughing their asses off right now, and a few million developers just lost interest.
    Absolutely stupid stupid stupid decision. 

I can see Tim getting fired over this. It's that stupid.

Really? Overreacting much?
  • Reply 42 of 189
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yep, that's the cost of progress.

(Btw, the link posted to one on Amazon by a later poster -- which has four HDMI outs and everything else that the Monoprice one has -- is $32)

You can even find those things cheaper than that if you're ready to dig a bit.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/hdmi-to-coax-audio.html for example

They're 3$ a pop if you're ready to buy 500 ;-).; more typical $20.

• Reply 43 of 189
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Having to buy additional equipment is regress not progress.

And how much equipment did you already buy for this perfect setup you have? And that wasn't progress to you? I'm a sound engineer and I never really understood why the need for optical out. Just get a receiver that supports what you are looking to do.
  • Reply 44 of 189
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jkichline wrote: »

And how much equipment did you already buy for this perfect setup you have? And that wasn't progress to you? I'm a sound engineer and I never really understood why the need for optical out. Just get a receiver that supports what you are looking to do.

I don't have a perfect set up. I have the optical out connected to a sound bar/subwoofer combo, and I'd bet there are more ATVs set up that way than not.
  • Reply 45 of 189
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    bitmod wrote: »
    WOW!!!  - they made it worse, way worse. Useless in fact.
    The optical out was the MOST used feature on the ATV. Everyone I know who has one uses it.

Competitors are laughing their asses off right now, and a few million developers just lost interest.
    Absolutely stupid stupid stupid decision. 

I can see Tim getting fired over this. It's that stupid.
    no it's not. Please, don't make me laugh.
  • Reply 46 of 189

Of course nobody equals the world, but they just crippled a pretty darn good device.

I thought you'd read what I posted. But obviously not.

So, to repeat: it is not for you, is it?
  • Reply 47 of 189

Thanks for the Amazon link.  I need this as well.  I bought a receiver with HDMI for my suround sound system, but once I got all the pieces together I found out that the HDMI inputs only carry video and the audio has to come in separately.  Not exactly the HDMI I was hoping for.  Either way I'd run into port overload with the other gizmos so a switcher box is need and a lot cheaper than a new receiver. 

• Reply 48 of 189
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Except, of course, when it's not. Whenever you buy a new device to fit into an existing set up there are usually times when you're going to have to find a way to make it work, if you want it that bad.

I had a friend who bought an AppleTV 2, and guess what? His TV didn't have HDMI. Are you saying Apple should've kept the older component jacks just so he could update to a newer AppleTV? Or do you think Apple made the right decision in going with HDMI only?

• Reply 49 of 189
    Thanks for the Amazon link.  I need this as well.  I bought a receiver with HDMI for my suround sound system, but once I got all the pieces together I found out that the HDMI inputs only carry video and the audio has to come in separately.  Not exactly the HDMI I was hoping for.  Either way I'd run into port overload with the other gizmos so a switcher box is need and a lot cheaper than a new receiver. 
    here you go.
  • Reply 50 of 189
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Of course nobody equals the world, but they just crippled a pretty darn good device.

I thought you'd read what I posted. But obviously not.

So, to repeat: it is not for you, is it?

It's not for a lot of people. It doesn't have to be an elaborate set up. People with sound bars are screwed, and that's probably a huge chunk of people that own an ATV.
  • Reply 51 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Except, of course, when it's not. Whenever you buy a new device to fit into an existing set up there are usually times when you're going to have to find a way to make it work, if you want it that bad.

I had a friend who bought an AppleTV 2, and guess what? His TV didn't have HDMI. Are you saying Apple should've kept the older component jacks just so he could update to a newer AppleTV? Or do you think Apple made the right decision in going with HDMI only?

I agree; I can't use this existing AppleTV with my set-up, but my set-up sucks and was poorly thought out and my receiver only has one optical port and no HDMI-in ports (its also a Blu-Ray player. Its a crappy system in a box).  So I'm bummed that I can't use it but I'm not crying foul over it, nor do i consider it a "fail" overall.

(if it were more compelling I'd consider getting a new receiver, but its not worth the extra expense to upgrade.  This is perhaps the only area it is disappointing in, knowing that there must be a number of people who won't bother upgrading.  But my bet is next revision, in a year or two, it might be quite a bit more powerful)

• Reply 52 of 189
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    So no 4K UHD or GigE, but we get a USB-C port in case it needs to be taken into for service. The former I'm alright with, but not having GigE which means the actual throughput over 802.11ac is faster than 100 BASE-T, although I'll still likely use Ethernet because of the lower chance for interference.

I'd wager more people use optical audio than the ethernet port. Hell, I'd bet £1000 on more people using optical than USB-C!
    mjtomlin wrote: »

HDMI is necessary for HD video, which at the time was a fairly big selling point on the ATV2. It was a box for HDTVs, not SDTVs, so the ports weren't necessary. The box was also smaller and some ports had to go. This time the box is bigger, yet the ports are reduced. Optical out (or at least some form of audio out) is necessary, since many people have separate speaker attached to their TVs (as built in TV speakers usually suck). And as I said before, you now have to have the TV on the whole time you just want to use the device to stream music over Airplay. Stupid.
  • Reply 53 of 189
    mjtomlin wrote: »

Exactly. For instance, in my case, I have a fabulous sound system, but it is 24 years old. There's no way I am going on give up on it, at least, for as long as I can. The new TV that I have only has an optical out (as does my AppleTV), so I had to get an ugly, clunky digital-to-analog converter and live with that, or jettison my sound system.

I sucked it up and chose the former option.
  • Reply 54 of 189
    It's not for a lot of people. It doesn't have to be an elaborate set up. People with sound bars are screwed, and that's probably a huge chunk of people that own an ATV.

And you, the passive-aggressive anti-Apple regular here, know more than Cook & Co. do.

You're better than that. Be serious.
  • Reply 55 of 189
    jamesjpn wrote: »
    Whaaaat!?!  This blows, I have an optical cable from my Apple TV to my stereo and am constantly streaming music to it through iTunes.  I also listen to movies through my stereo.....  I don't get it.

Ditto. Many high quality sound bars, that many use in place of feeble built-in TV speakers, use optical audio inputs. I was all set to buy the new ?TV until I heard this. My wires are buried in the wall so replacing optical with something else is a no go.
  • Reply 56 of 189
    For these outraged with omission of optical port, revamp your home theater. Technology will change over time and old tech will be ditched. Btw, learn to configure your home theater the right way. You don't need any optical port.
  • Reply 57 of 189
    applefan84 wrote: »
    You shouldbe able to forward the sound output from your Apple TV to an Airport Express, which has an optical out port. You then plug whatever speakers you want into the Airport Express.

This is currently possible with the 3rd Gen Apple TV so hopefully they keep that feature.

By forward do you mean via Wi-Fi? If so, won't that increase the likelihood of keeping sound in sync with picture?
  • Reply 58 of 189
    Ditto. Many high quality sound bars, that many use in place of feeble built-in TV speakers, use optical audio inputs. I was all set to buy the new ?TV until I heard this. My wires are buried in the wall so replacing optical with something else is a no go.
    Then stay with old ATV. You will have to change your wires some time later anyway.
  • Reply 59 of 189
    In the era of Bluray and 4K video, some people still don't understand that optical can't carry the HD sound such as Dolby Digital +, TruHD or DTS HD...and still hanging on with a lossy connection such as Toslink...
  • Reply 60 of 189
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Exactly. For instance, in my case, I have a fabulous sound system, but it is 24 years old. There's no way I am going on give up on it, at least, for as long as I can. The new TV that I have only has an optical out (as does my AppleTV), so I had to get an ugly, clunky digital-to-analog converter and live with that, or jettison my sound system.

I sucked it up and chose the former option.

Well that's just it, isn't it? Anyone who likes their current set up and wants to upgrade any part of it has to accept that they might have a problem. All these things change as they're updated and newer models may not work as older models did. If you really want to make it work, you'll find a way, even it means buying some little doohickey.

Honestly, is having an adapter or converter box shoved behind everything that big of a pain? Not really.

Of course I have an extremely simple "TV" setup; LCD TV, sound bar, and Apple TV. (No cable. No antenna.) My stereo receiver sits under the end table next to the couch, out of sight. My computer sits in my office. Everything is connected wirelessly.