Overhauled $149 Apple TV features App Store, Siri remote and cross-service content search

Comments

• Reply 161 of 330
    I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but what is the memory used for and why buy the larger 64GB version? Is this primarily for caching streaming TV and storing downloaded shows?
  • Reply 162 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

One issue with 4k devices is the number of early UHD TVs that lack HDCP 2.2 compliance. If Apple TV came with 4k support, it would certainly have to also be HDCP 2.2 compliant (per studio restrictions on 4k streaming content). Most home theater receivers more than 1.5 years old also cannot negotiate the HDCP 2.2 handshake. This is a matter of timing.

The lossless audio issue is just par for the course with movie streaming.

HDCP 2.2 is a requirement for physical media (new 4K blu-ray) but it isn't a requirement for streaming. (Netflix and Amazon already stream in 4K.) I could (maybe) forgive the lack of lossless audio for streaming but not everything I want to play is streamed.  If I buy from iTunes then I download the movie...no issues with bandwidth then (apart from the original download size) Or maybe I want to play 4K video from my new iPhone??

I want apple TV to have the capability to be on par with my blu-ray player (1080p or 4K when it arrives) and this new one won't do that (even at 1080)

• Reply 163 of 330
    markcu wrote: »

I would be massively surprised if it didn't link in to my iTunes here at home.

The spec sheet on their webpage says it drops iTunes music and iTunes Radio replacing it with apple music. Regarding streaming from your local library that's not clear yet. While Apple likes to sell subscriptions I'd be surprised if they'd drop local streaming support. Actually, I'd be pissed. .
  • Reply 163 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LewieE View Post

I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but what is the memory used for and why buy the larger 64GB version? Is this primarily for caching streaming TV and storing downloaded shows?

I suspect it's to store the apps that will be available from the new ATV app store.

• Reply 165 of 330

• Reply 166 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

The spec sheet on their webpage says it drops iTunes music and iTunes Radio replacing it with apple music. Regarding streaming from your local library that's not clear yet. While Apple likes to sell subscriptions I'd be surprised if they'd drop local streaming support. Actually, I'd be pissed. .

agreed..

• Reply 167 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markcu View Post

agreed..

the web page also says:

Listen to millions of songs, including your complete personal music collection, on the best speakers in the house.

So I'm hoping it really means that, and it's not dependant on Apple Music.

• Reply 168 of 330

I'm hoping the Apple TV streaming service has the networks split off into their own pay Tier so you don't waste money on them if you can get them with an HD antennae for free.  Then I hope they have as many sports as possible in their own Tier also, and they need both ESPN stations and Fox Sports 1 and 2 for me to be happy.

Then on the normal tv channels...they need all that Sling TV has but add in Sci-Fi, Discovery, BBC America, and I will be happy.

All channels need cloud DVR support like Playstation Vue already has...but ideally the shows are there for you to watch and fast forward on demand for a month or so...ideally the entire current season would be available as long as you have been a subscriber.

• Reply 169 of 330
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    sflagel wrote: »
    Apple used to show new stuff that NO ONE expected.. That's how they got to be what they are today.

No, they got to where they are by producing products people actually wanted to buy and use, and that are much better than other offerings out there. The fact that you already know what they are going to launch is because there are now so many leaks, and people trying even harder to get info in advance. Apple continues to push state of the art in design, execution, quality, performance, support and customer satisfaction. Period.
  • Reply 170 of 330
    So it uses an A8... maybe not even the A8X?

Wouldn't it have made more sense to start on the A9X, so game authors would have the absolute latest to work with?

The A8's no slouch, don't get me wrong, but 2x that performance would put them well into high-end console range.
  • Reply 171 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

So it uses an A8... maybe not even the A8X?

Wouldn't it have made more sense to start on the A9X, so game authors would have the absolute latest to work with?

The A8's no slouch, don't get me wrong, but 2x that performance would put them well into high-end console range.

I suspect all the A9's are destined for iPhones.... A8's given their relative maturity should also be more cost effective

• Reply 172 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is a great foundation to build the one box that rules the living room.

It ain't perfect but a great start.

In the next 12 months I hope to see:

1. Dedicated game controllers

2. Live TV package

3. More Homekit features

The new Apple TV will rule the living room by the end of the year! There's probably at least a 10 million strong active, installed base (with 25 million Apple TVs sold to date, that seems like a reasonable, if not conservative number), most of whom will likely want to upgrade this fall. Now with apps, casual gaming, siri, search, Apple Music, etc.. this will convince a lot of people to get their first Apple TV. On top of this, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple starts actively promoting it for the first time, which should also increase adopters. This is a huge advancement in the UI, and a terrific foundation.

My one significant gripe is lack of a home kit app. I follow apple obsessively and I'm still not sure how we're supposed to use siri/Apple TV to control home kit devices. Seems like a strange omission, and missed opportunity. There must be something holding it up (I can't imagine that it's not going to happen eventually).

The screen saver videos look fantastic. I hope that there will be a screen saver option for this app (one of the earliest iOS apps):

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wa-kingyo-goldfish-pond/id328011357?mt=8

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No Home Kit, Ha to the mutha f'ing HA.

This is just sad (assuming you're a grown adult).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Wow. That's. Wow.

Huh.

So almost two years later, Apple releases the Amazon Fire TV with a better touch remote but no dedicated game controller.

I think they just buried Steve once and for all.

Wow, thats a doozy of a troll post. All in one post you managed vague incredulity, disappointment, mentioning a competing product, inserting a 'but it could be better' comment, and showing the typical lack of class by brining up Steve Jobs' death. Congrats!

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Dumb that we cannot see the full resolution of our new 4K iPhones on our new ATV.  FAIL Apple!

I don't see the point of 4k for quite a while. TV programming is barely caught up with 720p, let alone 1080p, let alone bandwidth issues. Even at best 4k is only going to be a subtle enhancement unless you like sitting particularly close to a large TV. I think the main reason Apple even included the capability in the iPhones is to shut up the haters and trolls from making ignorant comments. Although it apparently didn't stop you..

• Reply 173 of 330
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Do we know for certain that Apple TV cannot support 4K? Maybe it'll just be a matter of a future software upgrade.

According to the Apple TV spec page, the new Apple TV features HDMI 1.4a

This will support 4k up to 30 frames per second at 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 color (not sure at the moment). I don't believe it can support HDCP 2.2 copy protection, HDMI 2.0 is required for that.

So if the new iPhone 4k video is 30 frames per second, you would be able to play it on the new Apple TV, as you would 24p 4k movies downloaded from the ITMS should they announce the service, and should the service not require HDCP 2.2 authentication (which has become the standard for any 4k content to this point and forthcoming with UHD Blu Ray.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_1.4

• Reply 174 of 330
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    This is just sad (assuming you're a grown adult).

It was nothing more than a jab at Sog pertaining to a discussion we were having on another thread.
  • Reply 175 of 330
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Not impressed! After all the hoopla about SJ decoding and transcending the TV experience, this is all Apple can come up with? It does nothing new that dozens of other TV brands didn't acomplish years ago and the design is a ugly bloated version of Apple TVs 6 year old design. OSTV looks early like the dated OS old Apple TV had that was behind the times years ago. And no 4K? The fact Apple would release this makes me wonder if it hasn't lost its way. Would have been better to release nothing IMO. A total FAIL!
  • Reply 176 of 330
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Not impressed! After all the hoopla about SJ decoding and transcending the TV experience, this is all Apple can come up with? It does nothing new that dozens of other TV brands didn't acomplish years ago and the design is a ugly bloated version of Apple TVs 6 year old design. OSTV looks early like the dated OS old Apple TV had that was behind the times years ago. And no 4K? The fact Apple would release this makes me wonder if it hasn't lost its way. Would have been better to release nothing IMO. A total FAIL!

How insightful.

• Reply 177 of 330
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So your expectations was based on a quote over 10 years old?  Are you serious?

What were you expecting a time machine?  A cure for cancer?

And 4k is NOT mainstream.  Less than 1% of the population has a 4k TV with a device that can play true 4k content.  Hell most cable TV in the US is not even 1080p.  Netlfix 4k isn't even real 4k either.  Do you realize how MASSIVE a true 4k movie would be?  We are talking close to 100 GB.  Does that sound like something that can easily be streamed or downloaded to a device?  LOL.  You have no idea what you are talking about.  4k is at least 2 or 3 years away from being mainstream.  And at least a decade before cable/sat TV shows true 4k video.

Are you mad? I watch 4K all the time, primarily on Netflix and You Tube. And of course I'd expect a groundbreaking interface from Apple, not a rehash of the static "hobby" interface it hasn't updated in years. And what's with the ugly product design that looks like two old Apple TVs glued together? This is a half cocked release to put it mildly. And BTW, it takes minutes to DL a 100GB file, not hours!

• Reply 178 of 330
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 wrote: »
    You are not watching true 4k video.  You are watching an incredibly compressed stream.
    https://www.4kdownload.com/howto/howto-download-2160p-ultra-hd-video-from-youtube

Netflix may be different
    http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/why-netflix-in-ultra-hd-will-ruin-tv-1241142
  • Reply 179 of 330

So the old AppleTV had a touch remote and Siri?  And universal search?  And Apps?  

My Samsung 8550 has voice control, a touch remote, and laser pointer. And apps!  All built into a slick 4K package. The tables have turned! Apple TV is now playing catch up with the likes of Samsung and Sony TV and based on my personal experience -- which you haven't experienced obviously -- Apple TV has failed miserably. I love Apple more than you do because I'm not blinded when their products miss. The new Apple TV is a miss, that's my opinion.

• Reply 180 of 330
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    sog35 wrote: »
    You are not watching true 4k video.  You are watching an incredibly compressed stream.  True 4k is 100GB on a disc.  The 4k video you watch streamed to your device isn't even as good as a Bluray disc.

Are you using the same theory as the iTunes videos aren't true 1080p video, they are an incredibly compressed stream?