Apple's new 12.9-inch iPad Pro has 4GB of RAM, doubling iPad Air 2

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2015
Apple's new iPad Pro may have 4 gigabytes of RAM, the most ever for an iOS device, Adobe inadvertently revealed in a press release, which has since been edited to remove the claim.

The release previously stated that the Pro is "great for creative workflows with a high res 12.9" touch screen display at 2732 x 2048 pixels, A9X chip, and 4GB RAM," G for Games noted on Thursday. A later check showed however that Adobe edited the sentence to strip out references to both RAM and the A9X.

The latter is a major marketing point for the tablet, but Apple typically avoids disclosing how much RAM it uses in mobile devices. When that data does come out, it's often in early leaks or post-launch teardowns.

Four gigabytes would be the most RAM in any iOS device to date, double the amount in the iPad Air 2. The quantity is in fact the same as the base configurations of the MacBook Air, which would help Apple's ambitions of making the Pro as fast as many laptops.

Adobe was a prominent player during Apple's iPad Pro announcement on Wednesday. The company took to the stage to show off several Creative Cloud apps on the tablet, including the new Photoshop Fix.

The Pro itself is only due to ship sometime in November, starting at $799 without the Pencil or Smart Keyboard accessories.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    Makes sense, I suspect a tear down will reveal they've gone to LPDDR4 which is more power efficient.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They are really serious about it being a computer replacement.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    Oh, good. This means that the iPad Pro might be the first iDevice in which your one open Mobile Safari browser tab won't reload when you switch to another app and back again.

Amazing.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I can understand Adobe editing out the 4 GB of ram reference, but why remove the A9X? That's been revealed and confirmed by Apple already and it's not exactly a secret.

As for the iPad Pro, it looks real sweet! I'm glad that it's just a bigger iPad, with some extra, cool features. I'm not an artist, but that Apple Pencil seems to work really nice. Personally, I wouldn't get the extra keyboard, but I don't mind that it's available for those who might want or need it. I also like how the quad speakers work. :smokey:

• Reply 5 of 64
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    I was really hoping for the guts of the iPad Pro in the smaller screen size of the iPad Air2.
    Oh well. Maybe next time.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    The more I saw it the more I want it. The weight is a problem though. I'm really like my iPad Air 2 weight.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They are really serious about it being a computer replacement.

My immediate thought too. I'll be purchasing. I'd like to see Mathematica on it, even just a shell. Apps can be written for the watch under Mathematica - http://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2015/04/instant-apps-for-the-apple-watch-with-the-wolfram-language/ ;:) 

• Reply 8 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Oh, good. This means that the iPad Pro might be the first iDevice in which your one open Mobile Safari browser tab won't reload when you switch to another app and back again.

Another poster here harps on this same subject... I guess I don't understand why this is so important to you.

As a user, I've noticed this maybe twice in four years, and even then, only when I was in an uncharacteristically slow bandwidth environment.  In both of those cases, the refresh took maybe about 5 seconds, instead of the quarter-second it normally takes.

In both cases, I believe it was a YouTube video I was trying to watch via Safari (I've never bothered with the mobile app).

• Reply 9 of 64
    That'll give the device a long life, if true.

And certainly the A9X is a hint to the future of Apple's high performance SoCs and potential Mac usage instead of Intel CPUs. I don't think Apple would have called out the performance of x86 devices in the keynote unless they were now on that path.

It will be interesting to see performance benchmarks of A9X versus Core M, the chip used in Surface Pros and ultra-thin Windows laptops. I suspect the A9X is going to be faster (mainly due to how cut down the Core M is).
  • Reply 10 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

That'll give the device a long life, if true.

And certainly the A9X is a hint to the future of Apple's high performance SoCs and potential Mac usage instead of Intel CPUs. I don't think Apple would have called out the performance of x86 devices in the keynote unless they were now on that path.

It will be interesting to see performance benchmarks of A9X versus Core M, the chip used in Surface Pros and ultra-thin Windows laptops. I suspect the A9X is going to be faster (mainly due to how cut down the Core M is).

After seeing the A9X, I'm more inclined to think we'll OSX on ARM and have it renamed to macOS.

• Reply 11 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Amazing.

Odd. I don't have that problem when I'm actively working between Safari and another app on my iPhone 6. 

• Reply 12 of 64
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    Another poster here harps on this same subject... I guess I don't understand why this is so important to you.
    Because it is a royal pain in the ass. Further the loss of data that sometimes happens is a massive productivity killer.
    As a user, I've noticed this maybe twice in four years, and even then, only when I was in an uncharacteristically slow bandwidth environment.  In both of those cases, the refresh took maybe about 5 seconds, instead of the quarter-second it normally takes.
    The reloads are often coming from locally stored data and might be more accurate described as redrawing the image of the web page. The bandwidth of the Internet connection has little impact here.
    In both cases, I believe it was a YouTube video I was trying to watch via Safari (I've never bothered with the mobile app).

Obviously you don't use your machine on demanding web pages. By the way iOS is getting much better with respect to reloads and app data loss. This is a two way street and often apps themselves are at fault, so I don't want to leave the wrong impression here. However RAM could be very helpful in reducing these problems.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

I was really hoping for the guts of the iPad Pro in the smaller screen size of the iPad Air2.

Oh well. Maybe next time.

Yeah, I really like the size of the air. Hopefully the Pencil will be compatible with the Air next year. 

Current setup =

iPad3 Wacom Intuos stylus. 

an air3 and ApplePencil would be a sweet upgrade.

• Reply 14 of 64
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    pscooter63 wrote: »

It's a big deal in sites that do not have a REST interface. Information displayed on a page should NEVER change unless:
    a) the user intentionally refreshes the page
    b) the page is programmed to auto-refresh and the user didn't disable that in some preferences

The way iOS works, you switch to another app or tab, come back and the information displayed may no longer be the same.

e.g. online order, check e-mail for confirmation message, didn't arrive, go back to Safari in an effort to write down order confirmation number, but
    WOOPS, since Safari has to reload the page you end up on the web shop's home page, your confirmation number is gone...
    Good luck calling customer service without it.

Given what people post here, I get the impression nobody knows how work on computers is supposed to flow, and they just accept horrible behavior as "the way things are"...
  • Reply 15 of 64
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    What I really want is an adaptive UI: OS X when used with keyboard and pencil, iOS when used without; combined with truly universal apps...
    ...totally doable. Apple could ditch the MacBook Air range, and increase profits because their A-series CPUs are much cheaper than buying from Intel.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

The refreshing happens to me every app every day. It's so annoying and like someone already mentioned, you can lose information if you're u go in and out of apps for some reason. 1GB is not enough anymore. I was going to upgrade my iPhone 6 Plus to the 6S Plus if it had 2GB but not now. Really no reason to for my needs. Although I really want the better camera. So I still might.

• Reply 17 of 64
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I don't understand why people want to use OS X on an iPad. How about Apple make iPad software more powerful instead.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Nobody can defend the RAM in iOS devices. And there's obviously a reason Apple refuses to tell us RAM when they tell us everything else about the internals. If the new iPhones don't have at least 2GB RAM I'll keep my existing 6 for another year.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    matrix07 wrote: »
    The more I saw it the more I want it. The weight is a problem though. I'm really like my iPad Air 2 weight.

Kiss the iPad Air 2 and Mini goodbye, but don't worry, they will be replaced someday by 7.9" and 9.7" iPhones 8 and 8 Plus. Because this phablet craze has no upper limit. /s
  • Reply 20 of 64
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I can understand Adobe editing out the 4 GB of ram reference, but why remove the A9X? That's been revealed and confirmed by Apple already and it's not exactly a secret.

As for the iPad Pro, it looks real sweet! I'm glad that it's just a bigger iPad, with some extra, cool features. I'm not an artist, but that Apple Pencil seems to work really nice. Personally, I wouldn't get the extra keyboard, but I don't mind that it's available for those who might want or need it. I also like how the quad speakers work. :smokey:
    if a person plans to get the 12" MB, now think again with 128GB iPad Pro + keyboard at almost $200 cheaper.