Apple's iPad Pro Smart Connector open to accessory makers, Logitech Create keyboard coming in Nov.

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2015
Aside from its larger 12.9-inch Retina display, the biggest external design change on the iPad Pro is a new port dubbed the Smart Connector. Apple has revealed that third-party accessory makers will be able to create their own accessories for the Smart Connector, and the company even worked with accessory maker Logitech for one set to debut this November.

In showcasing the iPad Pro's Smart Connector on Wednesday, Apple spotlighted its own first-party Smart Keyboard accessory. Designed like the company's current Smart Covers, the Smart Keyboard unfolds to present a thin, full-size keyboard.

With the cover doubling as a stand, the iPad connects to and powers the keyboard via the Smart Connector port. But other accessory makers will also be able to utilize this new, versatile port, which Logitech plans to take advantage of in November with Create for iPad Pro.

The new Create keyboard will be available for iPad Pro on its launch day, and the device was actually developed in collaboration with Apple, allowing the company to unveil the smart keyboard product immediately on Wednesday.

Like Apple's offering, the Logitech Create is powered by the iPad Pro via its Smart Connector, which means it never needs to be charged. And because it has a direct magnetic connection to the hardware, there's no need for Bluetooth pairing either.

For now, Logitech is being coy about features of its Create keyboard. The website only features one image that offers a glimpse of how the device will appear, suggesting it will be a thicker, sturdier, more laptop-like base when paired with the iPad Pro.

But the fact that third-party accessory makers will have access to the Smart Connector from day one opens a whole world of possibilities for the iPad Pro. For example, companies could make iPad Pro docking stations that not only provide a connected physical keyboard, but also recharge the tablet without the need to plug in a Lightning cable.

For now, it remains unknown what kinds of restrictions Apple will place on officially sanctioned Made for iPad Pro accessories that utilize the Smart Connector. But it's possible that different and more versatile types of accessories, beyond keyboards, could take advantage of the magnetic connector.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

There seem to be a variety of possibilities that could be almost revolutionary for this device class....  ...the most obvious would seem to be musical keyboards (or other instrument-like input devices), DJ boards, video editing set-ups etc.

Very cool if all this and more comes to be...

• Reply 2 of 22
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

There seem to be a variety of possibilities that could be almost revolutionary for this device class....  ...the most obvious would seem to be musical keyboards (or other instrument-like input devices), DJ boards, video editing set-ups etc.

Very cool if all this and more comes to be...

?

Yes, that's one more thing that Apple can copy from MS (see surface music kit).

• Reply 3 of 22
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

Bets as to what this will show up on next?

• Reply 4 of 22
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    gumbi wrote: »
    ?

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft and Apple cross-licensed this. Like not to point out the obvious, but "proprietary" ports goes back to horrible PC's made in the throughout the 80's and 90's.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gumbi View Post

?

Right, because Microsoft is the leader in digital audio production and Apple is just an also-ran :no:

• Reply 6 of 22
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

?

First of all, Garageband for iOS was out long before Surface Music Kit.

And by "one more thing" I assume you mean the keyboard? Apple first introduced a keyboard accessory for the iPad in 2010, long before the Surface ever surfaced. There were also many 3rd party keyboard covers readily available for iPad before the Surface.

So, nice try troll.

• Reply 7 of 22

Currently I'm using an Air with a Zagg keyboard folio. I love the combination, but the best thing about this particular duet is that the Zagg folio is hinged so you can set the angle of the iPad in relation to the keyboard, and that makes it very "lap-able." Given Logitech is already developing one for the new iPad Pro (though it doesn't appear to be hinged), I'm hopeful we'll see more (Zagg would be good, I love my current folio of theirs) with hinges too such that this will be for me even more exciting than it appears already.

The MacBook earlier this year caught my attention, but the iPad Pro with a good keyboard, given the advancements in iOS and the chips, this really could be my portable machine. Very interesting keynote today.

• Reply 8 of 22
    I wonder if there's any hope for a white keyboard.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    The Create looks more like my cup of tea than Apple's floppy soft keyboard.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

?

And the iPad Pro will outsell the Surface by millions upon millions. How does that make you feel? Sad I hope. The only topic you like to talk about is Microsoft and how superior they are, but you’re here on an Apple centric forum. Sounds like fear to me.

• Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

?

Really? This "music kit" is a sad excuse for a wanna-be DJ toy. . . That UI?  Really?  No, this is going to be a PRO, as in PROfessional device, as in Synthesizer, DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), with a MIDI controller potential beyond that of which has already begun and taken the music industry by storm.  Did you happen to go to NAMM last year? ...Where at least 1/2 of the software section of the show was somehow involved with iPads in one way or another, NOT surface!  Like one of the other commenters said, . . . nice try, but wake up to reality and I encourage you to go to the next NAMM show and see the truth before your very eyes and ears. :)

• Reply 12 of 22
    Who cares if Logitech makes a keyboard, or another pen... I just need a mouse. Until you can hook up a mouse ... this piece of junk is just a more unwieldy iPad. This is what mediocrity looks like.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    applebilly wrote: »
    Who cares if Logitech makes a keyboard, or another pen... I just need a mouse. Until you can hook up a mouse ... this piece of junk is just a more unwieldy iPad. This is what mediocrity looks like.

Crawl back to Redmond, troll.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/13/apple_licensed_iphone_ipad_patents_to_microsoft_with_anti_clone_restriction

I'll just leave that here for you.  FYI, their licensing agreement included Apples patents on their magnetic accessory system (Smart Cover).  This would include the keyboard that the surface tablets used.

• Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Crawl back to Redmond, troll.

Yesterday's keynote really brought them out in droves. Sigh, big effing sigh.

• Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

Yeah, more like a giant groan.

• Reply 17 of 22
    I look forward to the shipping of 3rd party Smart Connector port peripherals in 2019.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Thats what fear does to some people, I'm afraid.

Still, I'm hoping that someone will come up with a pen that charges from the smart connector, rather than sticking out the side of the iPad
  • Reply 19 of 22
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

First of all, Garageband for iOS was out long before Surface Music Kit.

And by "one more thing" I assume you mean the keyboard? Apple first introduced a keyboard accessory for the iPad in 2010, long before the Surface ever surfaced. There were also many 3rd party keyboard covers readily available for iPad before the Surface.

So, nice try troll.

?

No, I meant the concept of replacing the keyboard with 3rd party accessories that can be application specific...

• Reply 20 of 22
    why don't we just get along and have a common connector for all