New Apple TV uses USB-C for service, ditches optical audio out port

Comments

• Reply 121 of 189
    jbdragon wrote: »
    bitmod wrote: »

Anyone with an older receiver, 2 channel receiver, older TV's, sound bars and home theater specific audio setups - are SOL.
    That's a lot of SOL. 
    It's not like people are running out and buying new receivers every day to work with a $100 fad gadget.

Actually that's a $149 or $199 fad gadget!!!  $100 would have been nice.  You have options.   Here's a couple of them.
    http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10251
    http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5557

All that money you've saved over the years NOT upgrading your hardware.  Well the price to pay is a small black box that costs under $50.  Problem solved.

Do you work for that company? :lol:
  • Reply 122 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

That USB C port is not just there for diagnostics. No Way. Apple has plans for that...be it pairing ?TV to a Mac or iOS device, or to some next generation display.

No one believes Apple will make a new stand alone display...I'm not one of those people. I think they will make an Apple branded mid-size 21-30" display soon.

Just like on the older AppleTV's, I'm sure it's there so you can plug it into  your computer and use iTUnes to fix a failed Update for example.  Not a big deal.

What? 21-30" Apple TV?  You're kidding right?   Even my OLD Tube TV was 31", and you think Apple will come out with some new TINY TV?  Profit Margins are tiny on TV's.  They take up a lot of Space.  Plus people tend to hold onto them for many, many years.  My 24" 16x10 computer display I have, I've had for many years.  My 2 50"  1080P Panasonic Plasma's I've had for many years and hope to have for many more as they have a great picture.  If I can get 10+ years out of them, great.  There is NO WAY Apple would ever get into this market.  What makes the best sense is what Apple is doing now. Selling a small Box called AppleTV that works on any and ALL TV's out in the market.  you can Velcro the thing on the back of your HDTV if you want and now it's out of site.  Almost like a SmartTV, but better.

21-30" isn't even a Mid size display anymore.  It's a SMALL Display these days.  Those are normal size display range for computers.

• Reply 123 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Having to buy additional equipment is regress not progress.

Look at it this way.  Because you are so far behind the times in not upgrading any hardware, You've saved money, and now the price to pay is getting a small Box that costs under $50.  Or don't buy the new AppleTV.  The current one will still be sold in the stores as the low end version.  The one you currently have won't magically stop working.  Look at it this way.  Now you've saved $149-$199 NOT buying a new AppleTV plus more for a Box to get optical out!!!

• Reply 124 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carson O'Genic View Post

Thanks for the Amazon link.  I need this as well.  I bought a receiver with HDMI for my suround sound system, but once I got all the pieces together I found out that the HDMI inputs only carry video and the audio has to come in separately.  Not exactly the HDMI I was hoping for.  Either way I'd run into port overload with the other gizmos so a switcher box is need and a lot cheaper than a new receiver. 

What?????  NO, YOU ARE WRONG!!!!  HDMI carries both Digital Video and up to 7.1 Digital Surround sound!!!   There is a older standard called DVI.  it's the same Digital Signal, but Video only.  So you could for example plug a HDMI to DVI cable into a old HDTV that only had DVI, and then needed another connection for the Audio.

HDMI had BOTH!!!  If you have a Surround sound Receiver with HDMI In ports, You plug all your devices into that using HDMI and that's it!!!!!  Then a single HDMI cable from the receiver to your HDTV.  The Receiver takes the Audio it's getting from the HDMI and outputs it to the speakers connected to it.  The HDTV's speaker you just turn OFF!!!

• Reply 125 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

For these outraged with omission of optical port, revamp your home theater. Technology will change over time and old tech will be ditched. Btw, learn to configure your home theater the right way. You don't need any optical port.

If you're not upgrading your other hardware then you need the Optical port.  All that money you saved by not upgrading your hardware, I think you can afford a small black box for under $50 to get you a optical connection.  Here's a couple options.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10251

• Reply 126 of 189
    Couldn't read through all of the comments to see if anyone else already noted this: the new Apple TV will support Dolby Digital 7.1, whereas the 3rd generation supports just 5.1.
  • Reply 127 of 189
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    Ditching optical out is a logical step. The future is things like Sonos Playbar rather than a dedicated receiver.

The 10/100 Ethernet and lack of 4k do surprise me though and this price point.

Sonos uses...wait for it...a single optical cable.
  • Reply 128 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saintstryfe View Post

Most newer TVs will combine the Audio inputs to a single AUX or Optical out. This does suck for those with older TVs without it though.

Don't use the Optical out on your HDTV for all your devices!!!  Because it more then likely has DRM (Digital Rights Management)  The optical port on HDTV's is mainly for the built in HD TV tuner in the TV to feed 5.1 Surround to your Receiver!!!  It will downgrade the audio for any HDMI devices you try feeding though that also because of HDMI's DRM!!!  I learned this in the past when I tried it and saw on my Display that I wasn't getting what I should have and then did some research.

So trying to watch a DVD for example and going through my TV's Optical port, the best I could get was Dolby Pro Logic II.  Basically fake surround sound.  Look it up on the Internet.  I SHOULD have been getting Dolby Digital!!!  True 5.1 Surround sound.  So if you're doing this. You're not getting the best Audio you can.  If it's just Music, you're OK, but if you're watching Movies and trying to get 5.1, Change your setup.   Get a Black box!!!  In this case, a HDMI switch with a optical out port on it.  Plug everything into the Box and a single HDMI cable to your HDTV and the Optical on the Box to your Surround sound receiver or Sound bar or whatever you have.  That would be the better way.  The BEST of course is a new Surround sound receiver with HDMI ports in it, which also supports newer better Audio formats used for like Blu-Ray.  Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio.  Instead of the older Dolby Digital and DTS.

• Reply 129 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

Makes no sense.  The USB-C port is in the back making it kind of not practical, and many have their AppleTV's hidden.  Maybe like me Velcro to the back of the HDTV or something. Out of site!!!

Which is why the adapter would be long enough to be practical. I guess it doesn't make sense. I'm sorry for even bringing this up. You must really like this thread.

• Reply 130 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BumpMan View Post

Why are we using USB C for power in the MacBook but not using it for power in the ?tv?

You know, I didn't think about that, but you have a good point.  Maybe Apple has future plans for that port?  A Example would be a Camera to plug in. maybe a Kinect type thing, giving you say Facetime support!!!  So Apple wants to keep that port open?

• Reply 131 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

HDMI devices have been available for over 10 years, toslink is old, doesn't need supported anymore. Next you'll want Apple to include DVD drives with all their computers.

Maybe go back to Floppy discs!!!

• Reply 132 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

HDMI devices have been available for over 10 years, toslink is old, doesn't need supported anymore. Next you'll want Apple to include DVD drives with all their computers.

I agree. I don't get all these people whining about the new Apple TV not having an optical port. I didn't realize people even still used those. 

• Reply 133 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new Apple TV looks largely the same as its predecessors, but its ports around back have been revised, removing optical audio output, and using USB-C for restoring the device through its service port.

Hmmm Why not an iSight Camera? That way it can be placed on top of the TV for Facetime. What do you guys think?

• Reply 134 of 189

How could they not include a SCSI port?   Guess I won't be buying.

• Reply 135 of 189
    Worst product update ever. Siri on the new Apple TV is basically just a virtual salesperson who helps you search for new content to buy. The games look especially lame. What would have made this worthwhile is a browser and support for a Bluetooth keyboard. But instead, the new features are mostly about new ways to get you to spend money.
  • Reply 136 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Worst product update ever. Siri on the new Apple TV is basically just a virtual salesperson who helps you search for new content to buy. The games look especially lame. What would have made this worthwhile is a browser and support for a Bluetooth keyboard. But instead, the new features are mostly about new ways to get you to spend money.

1. Wrong. You can search for anything and you choose to buy or not. For instance, you can search Netflix, Hulu or iTunes and either pay a subscription or purchase the content.

2. They were showing sample games. It's up to app developers to make great content for the device and trust me, they will.

3. It has an App Store.  A developer can easily make a web browser app.

4. The current AppleTV supports Bluetooth keyboards and the new one will too.  It also supports third-party controllers.

5. I think you're ridiculous in that statement. You choose whether to spend money or not. Why don't ya get yourself a pair of rabbit ears?

• Reply 137 of 189
    popnfresh wrote: »
    What would have made this worthwhile is a browser and support for a Bluetooth keyboard.

That is the epitome of what is wrong with how most companies have tried to modernize the living room. If you want a browser then use AirPlay from an iDevice or Mac, or you could plug in a "PC" directly and use your BT keyboard. There are even media apps that are designed for that very thing. The average user isn't going to web crawl through the Internet that way.
  • Reply 138 of 189
    solipsismy wrote: »
    popnfresh wrote: »
    What would have made this worthwhile is a browser and support for a Bluetooth keyboard.

That is the epitome of what is wrong with how most companies have tried to modernize the living room. If you want a browser then use AirPlay from an iDevice or Mac, or you could plug in a "PC" directly and use your BT keyboard. There are even media apps that are designed for that very thing. The average user isn't going to web crawl through the Internet that way.

All these people that want a browser are tight wads that think they can get a computer for under $200.
  • Reply 139 of 189
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    All these people that want a browser are tight wads that think they can get a computer for under $200.

I'm sure they can find an old WebTV on eBay or Goodwill for a steal.
  • Reply 140 of 189
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's not for a lot of people. It doesn't have to be an elaborate set up. People with sound bars are screwed, and that's probably a huge chunk of people that own an ATV.

My ATV 3 is connected via an optical to my amp. However, my TV has a digital coax out and it indeed passes the HDMI audio out to my amp that way so, it's all good.