wtf happened to nvidia today?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
so i'm eating lunch and watching the stock ticker, and i see that nVidia is down $5, and is now trading at $11.

what the hell heppened to them today that they lost over 30% of their stock value? non of the stock sites i looked at had an nVidia specific stories.

anyone know what's going on with them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    NASDAQ stocks have been going down for months. Just another high tech company being sold off by investors. Most of the stocks are way overvalued anyway. Apple isn't doing too well either. Lots of bargains coming along in the next month or so.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    but dropping 30% in a morning?

i asked around, turns out their having fab problems with their new chips, and ati's new products are pretty good.

that's still heavy hit.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 3 of 9
    They warned earns will be off the next quarter due to a write-off of chips in inventory. They need to handle product transitions better. Perhaps a rebate is in order. Buy a Mac with a nVidia card and receive up to $5.00 back. That'll sale'm.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    You don't win the GPU battle witht he best high-end stuff. You win with the best OEM solutions. With both a 9000 and 9700, ATI is set to win both counts, but even if nVidia release a much stronger high-end card, it is unlikely that they will have the product to compete at the mid-level/OEM level. ATI should make a lot of money over the next 24 months.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    animaniacanimaniac Posts: 122member
    The said that earnings would be just barely on the upside or more likely just break even. The street was expecting $0.40 per share, and they guided them towards $0.00-$0.10 per share for the coming quarter. That's pretty bad news.

[ 07-31-2002: Message edited by: Animaniac ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    CodeWarrior and Animaniac are right.

Don't you people read The Register? (please don't tell me that you only check AI!)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    animaniacanimaniac Posts: 122member
    [quote]Originally posted by Yevgeny:

<strong>CodeWarrior and Animaniac are right.

Don't you people read The Register? (please don't tell me that you only check AI!)</strong><hr></blockquote>

CNBC baby!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Apparently they had a lot of chips that were supposed to go into the XBox, but since MS made some security changes to the XBox those chips became unusable.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    jchenjchen Posts: 70member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>You don't win the GPU battle witht he best high-end stuff. You win with the best OEM solutions. With both a 9000 and 9700, ATI is set to win both counts, but even if nVidia release a much stronger high-end card, it is unlikely that they will have the product to compete at the mid-level/OEM level. ATI should make a lot of money over the next 24 months.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well nVidia themselves do not produce the boards, they simply sell the GPU's to vendors who produce the cards (VisionTek, Abit, Gainward, etc). Just like they don't make nForce boards, they sell the main components (Northbridge, Southbridge, IGP) and then someone like Gateway or HP will buy the boards off someone else.