If you buy AppleCare+, Apple's new iPhone Upgrade Program is a great deal

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This. I think it all comes down to what is most convenient for you given how you use it and how you'd like to pay for it.

For someone like me, who does not ever get an AppleCare plan except for my Macs and who has no plans to switch from ATT, the ATT 20-month or 24-month interest-free loan plan works out the best and the easiest.

Everyone has to make their own choices, of course. Having said that, Consumer Cellular uses AT&T's connections, so the service is identical to what you get with AT&T as your carrier. What is different is that CC does not charge an activation fee, and they offer the iPhones on a two year, no interest purchase plan. For example, the iPhone 6 16 GB model can be bought for $50 upfront, and 24 payments of $25, or $650. The 6+ is $150down and 24 X $25. Other models, with more storage, priced accordingly. Usage plans with CC are less expensive than AT&T's also. But, if you need your iPad to work via cellular then CC is not for you. My iPad works great via Wi-Fi, but I admit to missing the cellular capabilities since moving to CC. Contrary to the hype, Wi-Fi is not available everywhere, a fact that might affect buyers. 

• Reply 42 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topsider View Post

do you have to pay carrier monthly fees on top of these payments?

Yes, this is just a payment plan for the hardware itself. The data plan is additional.

• Reply 43 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zandermannnn View Post

Does this still make sense if you don't care about having an unlocked phone? You will be paying back the full price of the phone and not the subsidized price.

Maybe this is obvious or i'm missing but for me it still doesn't make sense

Carriers are phasing out subsidized pricing, and incentivizing people to pay full price for the phone with cheaper monthly data plans. Not all customers can get a subsidized phone anymore, and in a few years, no one will be able to. The industry is changing.

• Reply 44 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bscooper547 View Post

i think the numbers are incorrect. I called AT&T to see how their Next plan prices out compared to the Apple Upgrade program. The iPhone 6s Plus with 128 GB is $44.95 on the Apple upgrade site over 24 months. AT&T says the Next 20 plan price for the same model is $2.00 less per month and can be traded every year.If you want to own it outright, it is yours in 20 months, so there are 4 less payments. So that is roughly a $180 savings.The phone is locked with AT&T, but if you want to change carriers, you can pay the remaining installments.

I don't see a "Next 20" plan from AT&T. They offer 24, 18, and 12 month installments. The Next 24 plan takes the cost of the phone and divides it, interest free, over 30 monthly payments. With this plan you cannot upgrade your phone for two years (hence the name 24). Apple's plan includes AppleCare+ and lets you upgrade after 12 monthly payments.

• Reply 45 of 118
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nhughes View Post

I don't see a "Next 20" plan from AT&T. They offer 24, 18, and 12 month installments. The Next 24 plan takes the cost of the phone and divides it, interest free, over 30 monthly payments. With this plan you cannot upgrade your phone for two years (hence the name 24). Apple's plan includes AppleCare+ and lets you upgrade after 12 monthly payments.

The Next 12 is the 20 month plan I believe.   Next 18 is 24 month plan.   Next 24 is 30 month plan.  IIRC

So there is no plan called "Next 20" but there is a 20 month plan.   I think the terminology was just messed up

• Reply 46 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

The Next 12 is the 20 month plan I believe.   Next 18 is 24 month plan.   Next 24 is 30 month plan.  IIRC

So there is no plan called "Next 20" but there is a 20 month plan.   I think the terminology was just messed up

Correct. AT&T named them in a kind of confusing way. Next 12 is the plan I used here to compare to Apple's plan. If you're buying AppleCare+, then Apple's plan is clearly superior to AT&T Next 12.

• Reply 47 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nhughes View Post

Correct. AT&T named them in a kind of confusing way. Next 12 is the plan I used here to compare to Apple's plan. If you're buying AppleCare+, then Apple's plan is clearly superior to AT&T Next 12.

Just to clarify: Apple's plan is superior only if you are actually going to turn the phone back in after 12 months.  If you plan on paying it off, the AT&T Next 18 is the same number of payments plan as the Apple plan and the final cost is about the same as well (after factoring in AppleCare+, activation fee if any, etc)

• Reply 48 of 118
    I think I would just upgrade every 24 months instead of every 12 so that I could keep my old one and sell it for what would feel like a ~200 dollar profit every two years.
  • Reply 49 of 118

Ultimately the deciding factor for me is wether I can create a monthly plan for the two cell phones my wife and I have that's as much or cheaper than what I'm currently paying for AT&T Next 30. I'm not sure I'll be able to because I think AT&T is giving me something of a better deal on my data plan by having a "lease" agreement through them versus if I just bring my own unlocked phone.

• Reply 50 of 118
    Quote:

Just to clarify: Apple's plan is superior only if you are actually going to turn the phone back in after 12 months.  If you plan on paying it off, the AT&T Next 18 is the same number of payments plan as the Apple plan and the final cost is about the same as well (after factoring in AppleCare+, activation fee if any, etc)

These are all interest-free loans, so yeah, if you pay to completion, it's meaningless.

• Reply 51 of 118
    What about people already 1 year into an existing 2-year contract? Is there a way for people like me to take advantage of this Apple Upgrade plan? For example...
    Is there anything keeping me from selling my existing iPhone 6 and then taking advantage of the Apple Upgrade Plan to get a new iPhone 6S? Then using the funds from the sale to apply it to the plan or something?
  • Reply 52 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DamonF View Post

You're going into the store for the loan documentation.  They need your signature.

Why? It's 2015, not 1915. It has been decades since I signed a tax return with my signature. Three years ago, I obtained a construction loan and permanent financing for my new home in Texas through a bank in Alabama without every seeing a human or picking up a pen.

• Reply 53 of 118
    Quote:

One thing to note is that if you do AT&T Next you don't pay the activation fee. With this you do. So there is $35 or $40 difference.

I would like to do this without activating a new line. I have my current AT&T phone on AT&T Next, and I want to keep it and pay it off, but I'd like to buy the new phone and switch my SIM around. This deal makes it look like you HAVE to activate it on a carrier. Which I don't want to do as I want to move my existing SIM over. Have to ask Apple about this one.

Since I do app dev work, I can't have too many phones lying around or being passed down to family members, etc.

Following is my understanding, but you might want to check it. I am considering taking advantage of Apple's Upgrade plan. Currently we have a Family Share Plan, two of the phones are on AT&T Next installment Plans and two or not. They have been paid off. I am going to buy two phones from Apple using the new upgrade plan and just going to swap out the SIM cards. And once the other phones that I have on AT&T Next is paid out, I will switch that one over too. Effectively I am doing BYOD with AT&T. I don't think there is anything wrong wit this approach. The benefit is that I am getting unlocked phone and who knows, in future I might just jump over to T-Mobile.

• Reply 54 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lance G. View Post

What about people already 1 year into an existing 2-year contract? Is there a way for people like me to take advantage of this Apple Upgrade plan? For example...

Is there anything keeping me from selling my existing iPhone 6 and then taking advantage of the Apple Upgrade Plan to get a new iPhone 6S? Then using the funds from the sale to apply it to the plan or something?

Ha! That's creative thinking! It depends on how much iPhone 6's are selling for right now and how much you'd need to pay off your contract.

So looking at my own case... I have an AT&T Next 24 Contract that ends June 6, 2017. I can either pay AT&T $400 dollars to be able to trade my phone in or $550 dollars to own my phone.

So I guess if I was able to sell my current iPhone 6 for $550 dollars I could use that money to buy out my contract and then bring a new unlocked Apple financed phone to my existing plan. But I doubt I'd get 550 dollars for my current phone.

• Reply 55 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

Why? It's 2015, not 1915. It has been decades since I signed a tax return with my signature. Three years ago, I obtained a construction loan and permanent financing for my new home in Texas through a bank in Alabama without every seeing a human or picking up a pen.

Not only that, but, the iPhones and iPad that I got to date, from Apple and AT&T, did not require my physical appearance. Both Apple and AT&T pre-qualified me via online. Which probably has zip to do with this new Apple deal, unfortunately.  It might be the bank that Apple is using that is making these demands. 

• Reply 56 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Following is my understanding, but you might want to check it. I am considering taking advantage of Apple's Upgrade plan. Currently we have a Family Share Plan, two of the phones are on AT&T Next installment Plans and two or not. They have been paid off. I am going to buy two phones from Apple using the new upgrade plan and just going to swap out the SIM cards. And once the other phones that I have on AT&T Next is paid out, I will switch that one over too. Effectively I am doing BYOD with AT&T. I don't think there is anything wrong wit this approach. The benefit is that I am getting unlocked phone and who knows, in future I might just jump over to T-Mobile.

The problem with this is that, according to what Apple has said, their plan requires carrier activation. They just don't had you the phone for you to move the SIM over.

• Reply 57 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance G. View Post

I'm on the same boat. Just checked with AT&T, it seems you need to pay off the 2-year contract first (~$200). 

• Reply 58 of 118

Personal example of buying a new iPhone every 2 years through AT&T at the subsidized price:

iPhone 6s $199

+ AppleCare+ $129

= $328 at time of purchase

Monthly service $80

x 24 months

= $1,920 over two years

So, it costs me $2,248 per two year contract period. Assuming I sell the phone for $199 after two years, the total cost would be $2,049.

If I use Apple's iPhone upgrade program:

iPhone 6s and AppleCare+ $32.41 per month

x 24 months

= $777.84

Monthly service $80

x 24 months

= $1,920 over two years

So it costs me $2,697.84 per two year period. Assuming I sell the phone for $199 after two years, the total cost would be $2,498.84 - about $450 more than buying it through AT&T at their subsidized price. What am I getting for this extra $450? A new iPhone halfway through that two year period and another year added on to the loan.

I see this as a win-win for the carrier and Apple, but NOT for the consumer.

• Reply 59 of 118
    ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

I think I would just upgrade every 24 months instead of every 12 so that I could keep my old one and sell it for what would feel like a ~200 dollar profit every two years.

Come to think of it. This might be a bad deal. Cause if I'm paying 36 dollars for 12 months just so that I can sell the thing in another 12, I'd have to make at least 432 dollars on the sale of my phone to break even.

Wow, that actually makes this Apple deal look pretty compelling because it basically cuts the price you pay for your phone in HALF. Is that right? Am I missing something? Sure, if you give up on iPhones and pay off your last one for the full 24 months you don't save on half the cost, but am I ever going to give up on upgrading my iPhone? I don't think so.

• Reply 60 of 118
    Quote:

The problem with this is that, according to what Apple has said, their plan requires carrier activation. They just don't had you the phone for you to move the SIM over.

I will have to check, but I don't see that Apple really cares who my carrier is. Apple is not giving me any discount to buy the phone. I am just getting interest-free loan. Actually Apple is getting an AppleCare+ customer (so it is a plus for them, which could be additional earnings for them). I think they are just calling it Apple iPhone Upgrade plans because for ability of doing upgrade for next-phone (iPhone 7 or letter). Matter of fact, they might I just called it Apple iPhone Purchase Plan.

Don't forget Apple is doing this for their own benefit. They want people to keep upgrading to their phone and not other phone, especially when the mobile carriers are trying to push other phones, especially the whole subsidy model is no longer being offered.