Hands on: iPad Pro with Apple Pencil

Comments

• Reply 21 of 247
    bkerkay wrote: »
    For the people commenting on the charging of the the Pencil and it's an accident waiting to happen of it breaking off.  According to Apple's website, the Pencil lasts for 12 hours. 15 seconds of charging, gives you 30 minutes of usage. So you can fully charge the Pencil in 6 minutes. Put the iPad Pro down, plug in the Pencil, go make a cup of coffee. Come back, you're good for another 10-12 hours.  I don't see the problem.

1) Charging doesn't work that way.

2) That's the thing, you could come back and bend it. A coffee break doesn't exactly make people less forgetful or clumsy.
  • Reply 22 of 247

Really excited about this iPad Pro and especially the Pencil!

All week I have been working on a bunch of large Photoshop image photocompositions using my Wacom Intuous tablet as the main input device. Can't tell you how much I would love to take this kind of work onto an iPad device…it would be a game changer in my work.

It was encouraging to see the demo showing the editing of the 50 megapixel image in the video. The images I am working on are in that size range, if not a bit bigger in some cases. If editing images using nondestructive PSD layered workflow is now possible in iOS, I am that much closer to complete location independence in my work.

I'm a bit disappointed that Adobe has not made a full-featured port of Photoshop for iOS yet. But if they build a suite of iOS apps that can edit PSDs and allow for round-tripping with regular desktop Photoshop, I could be convinced that solution is just as good. Maybe its an even better strategy to divide specific tasks or workflows into individual mini-task-specific-Photoshop apps to avoid the overwhelming UI that might result from a monolithic full Photoshop port.

• Reply 23 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

2) That's the thing, you could come back and bend it. A coffee break doesn't exactly make people less forgetful or clumsy.

1) Then how does charging work?

2) That's why people can't have nice things. 

• Reply 24 of 247
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwolf View Post

Does anyone know whether Apple has included a storage location for the pencil? Looking at the iPad Pro pictures, I don't see one. On the foldable keyboard accessory perhaps? Would be a shame to lose a $100 "pencil" :-(

Expecting a storage location on the iPad Pro for a "pencil" would be like expecting to find a storage site for a desktop mouse on a laptop computer!

• Reply 25 of 247
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    That 'pro' is also a 'con' because it means people won't be used to it sticking out of their iPad. That said, for all the concern, it's an extremely minor consideration even if it does readily jump out at you.

I suppose. But I see this more as a unnecessary worrying. Kind of like before the event all these tech writers were so concerned about fourcd touch and is Apple making iOS too complicated, too confusing etc. Then of course they see Apple's implementation and get some hands-on time and they think it's really cool.
  • Reply 26 of 247
  • Reply 27 of 247
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

How would you come back and bend it? I'm trying to understand how someone could bend the pencil/lightening connector. What in the world are they doing with the device?
  • Reply 28 of 247
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    I wonder how many people are going to break them?

I expect a third party company to sell a charging solution for this.
  • Reply 28 of 247
    Quote:

I assume 3rd-party pen support is available, but remember the apps have to support the pen's functions, which means it will need APIs and possibly new frameworks for developers to use so iOS for iPad Pro can use them. Hopefully we find out shortly what the full range of capabilities are. My guess is Wacom will have to build a new pen to support iPad Pro.

Totally agree. Apple is clearly using a different technique for their pen(cil). Wacom pens have never needed power…apparently a double edged sword for them, because it seems that marrying Wacom pens with screens have resulted in mostly-less-than-portable solutions thus far.

But, Wacom seems to be realizing that they are not just in the market of computer input device anymore, supplying manufacturers of (and building their own) pen-driven tablet computers.

Makes me think they might be interested in developing a high-end input device for iPad Pro.

(fingers crossed)

• Reply 30 of 247
    rogifan wrote: »
    How would you come back and bend it? I'm trying to understand how someone could bend the pencil/lightening connector. What in the world are they doing with the device?

Are you honestly saying it's impossible for anyone to bend or break a thin, 7" object by accident?
  • Reply 31 of 247

I was just basing my comment off of Apple's website... with the little info they currently provide. I can't imagine the battery being too big in the Pencil. 

• Reply 32 of 247
    polymnia wrote: »

Totally agree. Apple is clearly using a different technique for their pen(cil). Wacom pens have never needed power…apparently a double edged sword for them, because it seems that marrying Wacom pens with screens have resulted in mostly-less-than-portable solutions thus far.

But, Wacom seems to be realizing that they are not just in the market of computer input device anymore, supplying manufacturers of (and building their own) pen-driven tablet computers.

Makes me think they might be interested in developing a high-end input device for iPad Pro.

(fingers crossed)

It'll be interesting to see how this works out for Wacom, what other tablet (and smartphone) OEMs do, and if Apple will grow the digitizer into other devices. I've always like the Samsung Galaxy Note for having a digitizer and Samsung having built APIs for developers, but it was never going to catch on that way. I hope see this become a big part of all Apple devices, but my guess is, based on the prices of the iPad Pro, that the digitizer may still be too pricey for awhile…. potentially a long while.
  • Reply 33 of 247
    bkerkay wrote: »

I was just basing my comment off of Apple's website... with the little info they currently provide. I can't imagine the battery being too big in the Pencil. 

I understand, as you stated that's where you got those numbers from, but as that site shows — and I'm sure you can verify with a device sitting near you — that a lithium-ion battery will charge very quickly at first and then the speed slows down. This is why they can get the 30 minutes after just 15 seconds of charging. I'd say it would probably take less than a half-hour to charge, so one can do it on their lunch break and be fine.
  • Reply 34 of 247
    Quote:

I'd say it would probably take less than a half-hour to charge, so one can do it on their lunch break and be fine.

And for all we know... it might come with a female Lighting charging cable.  And the "recharge" on the iPad Pro, my be for quick emergency cases, to get another 30-60 minutes of usage. 

• Reply 35 of 247
    Quote:

It'll be interesting to see how this works out for Wacom, what other tablet (and smartphone) OEMs do, and if Apple will grow the digitizer into other devices. I've always like the Samsung Galaxy Note for having a digitizer and Samsung having built APIs for developers, but it was never going to catch on that way. I hope see this become a big part of all Apple devices, but my guess is, based on the prices of the iPad Pro, that the digitizer may still be too pricey for awhile…. potentially a long while.

The price will likely stay high for the foreseeable future. The battery & Bluetooth dependency will ensure that.

Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed that battery & bluetooth is required for the pencil. I suppose Wacom probably has most of the good tech for battery & radio-free pens locked up in their patent portfolio and the two companies cannot come to terms on licensing that tech.

For a guy like me, who uses this kind of tool for work, price isn't the huge concern. I'm happy to pay for pro level tools. My hope is that what has been developed will support a pro level workflow.

• Reply 36 of 247
    Anyone know what it feels like to drag the Pencil across the screen? Is it super slippery?
  • Reply 37 of 247
    polymnia wrote: »

The price will likely stay high for the foreseeable future. The battery & Bluetooth dependency will ensure that.

Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed that battery & bluetooth is required for the pencil. I suppose Wacom probably has most of the good tech for that kind of thing locked up in their patent portfolio and the two companies cannot come to terms on licensing that tech.

For a guy like me, who uses this kind of tool for work, price isn't the huge concern. I'm happy to pay for pro level tools. My hope is that what has been developed will support a pro level workflow.

Not being in a career that can really utilize that tech I'm only familiar with Wacom's wares and what they've done in broad strokes, but I look forward to seeing how the reviews come in. I agree that in-and-of-itself Pencil being powered and needing BT isn't as good, but what if that powered Pencil means there is an accelerometer for detecting angled strokes and if that means it can more accurately gauge where elements are on the screen. Wouldn't it then be worthwhile?
  • Reply 38 of 247
    Are you honestly saying it's impossible for anyone to bend or break a thin, 7" object by accident?

Not to beat this particular subtopic into the ground, but are you suggesting that, while connected and charging, the two devices together might not rest uniformly on a flat surface?

(No lens bulge comments, please [wink].)
  • Reply 39 of 247
    Are we sure the ONLY way to charge the pencil is plugging into the iPad? That seems more like an emergency thing when you're on the road or lose power in the middle of working.

I wonder if Apple will include a cable or adaptor that lets you charge the pencil like your iPhone. Like a desktop dock/stand that also charges.
  • Reply 40 of 247
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    Not to beat this particular subtopic into the ground, but are you suggesting that, while connected and charging, the two devices together might not rest uniformly on a flat surface?

I haven't suggested anything about its thickness, and Apple's website doesn't have specs. My guess is that it's probably as thick or slightly thinner than the iPad Pro. But why assume both devices would be resting on a flat surface, as opposed to, say, the iPad Pro on a desk and Pencil plugged but hanging off the end.

Are we sure the ONLY way to charge the pencil is plugging into the iPad? That seems more like an emergency thing when you're on the road or lose power in the middle of working.

I wonder if Apple will include a cable or adaptor that lets you charge the pencil like your iPhone. Like a desktop dock/stand that also charges.

Apple is typically really good about showing the common way they want/expect you use something, even charging, so I'm going to say the Pencil is it. Plus, an included dongle would just look inelegant, even if it slightly more safe for that 1 in a billion accident.