Hands on: iPad Pro with Apple Pencil

Comments

• Reply 141 of 247
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ireland wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me to see such a dock this year.

A dock for what? The Pencil?!?!!

Doesn't the thing charge in 3 minutes? Why would you need a dock?
    Unless I'm confused about charging time I can see a dock selling to the uninformed market.
  • Reply 142 of 247
    Quote:

Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

The price will likely stay high for the foreseeable future. The battery & Bluetooth dependency will ensure that.

Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed that battery & bluetooth is required for the pencil. I suppose Wacom probably has most of the good tech for battery & radio-free pens locked up in their patent portfolio and the two companies cannot come to terms on licensing that tech.

For a guy like me, who uses this kind of tool for work, price isn't the huge concern. I'm happy to pay for pro level tools. My hope is that what has been developed will support a pro level workflow.

I doubt it has anything to do with licensing terms.  It's probably the same reason that MS switched away from Wacom for there surface line - the way Wacom digitizers work causes you to have a thicker display layer and therefore a thicker device.  Also, a bit more parallax effect because of it.  ?

I imagine it is about reducing parallax (can't be totally eliminated) and most importantly saving on weight and thickness.  Also, the only really cool feature that the pencil has is the tilt control, that isn't really a thing with a Wacom type stylus.

• Reply 143 of 247
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

I'm a bit disappointed that Adobe has not made a full-featured port of Photoshop for iOS yet. But if they build a suite of iOS apps that can edit PSDs and allow for round-tripping with regular desktop Photoshop, I could be convinced that solution is just as good.

I'm sure Adobe is looking closely at porting Photoshop to iOS for this device. People could literally sit in the park with this and Pencil and do their work. And given the right price point I'd say they'll hit the ball out of the park.

• Reply 144 of 247

My opinion and perspective comes from the view of a creative / Industrial Designer and how I would use this device.  I've got a question that I can't seem to find anywhere

Does the new Pencil have palm rejection or palm block like a Wacom Cintiq / Surface Pro Ntrig? This platform looks really promising but this is a feature that I always worked around in the past while drawing on an iPad.  Some of the video's seem to show people resting their hands on the screen while sketching and others don't.  It may seem trivial to most but when you are really diving into a project it's very important.

I actually went to the darkside and purchased the original Surface Pro then upgraded to the Surface Pro 3 because Apple didn't make the hardware I needed as at the time which includes needing to sketch, render and communicate visual ideas quickly and accurately on the go - this could possibly bring me back into the fold for my portable needs.  (I'm all apple at my desktop workstation BTW using Wacom Cintiq monitors).

Other notes and wishes by me - longtime digital doodler:

It would've been cool to have at least one button to call up quick commands while sketching (eraser, switch tools, ect) - hunting for on-screen buttons slows down the creative process while you are focused and working on ideas.  I know it doesn't look as nice but Wacom's stylus use buttons for this reason and, contrary to the article, the Surface Pro 3's stylus makes this very handy as well - it's really not as complicated as the author of this article makes it sound.  While you are sketching your index finger naturally rests on the button and when you need to call up a command it's right there.

I wish they would've found a way to have the pen "snap" to the magnetic side port of the iPad for charging and storage.  The lightning connector is cool but having this option as well would help me know it's charging while putting it into a bag heading to an on-site meeting.  It wouldn't change the aesthetic of the iPad if you didn't purchase the accessory but it gives it added functionality and convenience if it was purchased.

What does the "nib" of the pencil feel like?  Does it have a slight "tooth" while working on the screen or does it make an annoying clicking sound of plastic against glass while sketching.

Again,  I'm not a typical user but would consider myself more of a digital sketching artist / designer nerd so my questions come from that point of view.  I guess I'll have all of these questions answered when it's released in November :)

• Reply 145 of 247
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

A dock for what? The Pencil?!?!!

Doesn't the thing charge in 3 minutes? Why would you need a dock?

Unless I'm confused about charging time I can see a dock selling to the uninformed market.

From a third party. We're assuming it takes 6 minutes to charge, but that is not conclusive yet. People may not wish to plug into their iPad to charge for one reason or another. Chill out.

• Reply 146 of 247
    ireland wrote: »
    We're assuming it takes 6 minutes to charge, but that is not conclusive yet.

1) Who's assuming that?

2) It's absolutely conclusive that it takes longer than 6 minutes to go from 0% to 100% if Apple is claiming it can go from 0% to 4.17% in 15 seconds.
  • Reply 147 of 247
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ignomini View Post

What about handwriting recognition? For those of us who never learned to touch type, adding recognition to the notes app would have been a big deal. I'm not artistic enough to have any other use for the pen.

Egg Freckles?

• Reply 148 of 247
    gumbi wrote: »
     I doubt it has anything to do with licensing terms.  It's probably the same reason that MS switched away from Wacom for there surface line - the way Wacom digitizers work causes you to have a thicker display layer and therefore a thicker device.  Also, a bit more parallax effect because of it.  ?

I imagine it is about reducing parallax (can't be totally eliminated) and most importantly saving on weight and thickness.  Also, the only really cool feature that the pencil has is the tilt control, that isn't really a thing with a Wacom type stylus.

That makes sense. Improve upon wacom's rocky entrance into pen-on-display offerings. Maintaining thinness and reducing parallax are worthy reasons to develop new tech.

I do think it's worth noting that Wacom tablets have been sensitive to tilt, orientation as well as pressure for as long as I've used them. This is why I keep bringing them into my comments—to my mind Wacom is the best at digitizing the motions and subtle manipulation techniques of drawing. They seem to have stumbled a bit adapting these core competencies onto tablet displays, though. Parallax & thickness aren't problems on a deskbound Intuos tablet.
  • Reply 149 of 247
    crowley wrote: »
    ^ it'll be like an iPhone lollipop!

One of those all day suckers. :lol:
  • Reply 150 of 247
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm always amused when people says a company should've done A instead of B. As if these things don't get prototyped like crazy before a final design is settled on. Of course that doesn't mean that companies can't make mistakes but my god this product isn't even shipping yet and already people are pissing on it saying Apple should have done this, or done that instead. image

I agree with what you are saying here.

But you are often doing the same thing.  You had multiple posts on the forum where you were critical of the (rumoured) 6s features weeks ago, long before the product was revealed.  You are often critical of Apple features & services the day after announcement.  

Glad that sometimes you can see that it one should actually use a product before commenting on it. 

• Reply 151 of 247
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dabe View Post

Expecting a storage location on the iPad Pro for a "pencil" would be like expecting to find a storage site for a desktop mouse on a laptop computer!

HAHA...the pens diameter appeared to be more than the iPad Pro thickness anyway.

• Reply 152 of 247
    OK Apple. THANK YOU for finally not forcing us draw with our fingers any more.

PLEASE incorporate the Apple Pencil into the next gen of the ENTIRE line of iPhone and iPad.
  • Reply 153 of 247
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Will it charge off my iPhone?

• Reply 154 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

It would be great if the Pencil had a sensor that let the iPad know when the eraser side was touching the screen. Instead of selecting the eraser tool in software. It would be like drawing and erasing with a real pencil. I actually thought it had this function until I saw the opposite end of the pencil tip was just a plug to power it up.

What a waste.

Would really cause the Pencil name to be meaningful.

If you consider a real wood, graphite and rubber eraser pencil, you will notice that the graphite is a sharpened point and the eraser has a stubby flat profile. You can draw extremely fine detail, but you can only erase broad areas. With the Apple Pencil you can erase with the same level of precision that you can draw.

You make a good "point" about the shortcoming of rubber erasers...

When I did hand drafting, I needed one of these (often used in conjunction with an electric drafting eraser):

• Reply 155 of 247
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/62671/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Pretty much what happened. This was made three years ago
  • Reply 156 of 247
    Is the Pencil on size in diameter from top to bottom or does it taper down? Any idea the diameter at it's widest point?
  • Reply 157 of 247
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    larrya wrote: »
    In fairness to the OP, this is a portable device, not a desktop computer. The Surface has a slot, as does the Note. It's a thoughtful touch of the sort we used to expect from Apple.

Considering it's an optional accessory, the majority of users would have an empty slot to collect dirt and dust. I'm sure third party covers may have a pouch/slot for it.
  • Reply 158 of 247
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    sirlance99 wrote: »

Pretty much what happened. This was made three years ago

T'is funny, but no one claimed Apple invented it. They just spoke a little about how awesome it is.
  • Reply 159 of 247
    inkling wrote: »
    Alas, this new release has helped me realize just what bothers me about iPads, particularly the larger ones such as my iPad 3 and the new iPad Pro.

They're not like desktops or laptops, which are designed to be placed on tables. They're not like smartphones, which fit (most of them) in a hand. No, there's nothing inherent in their design that makes them safe to handle. A few cases have a simple handle into which you can slide your hand. Most don't. Someone needs to address this problem with a really clever case with a handle that is actually functional.

Something similar is true with the Apple Pencil. Someone needs to market a short male-to-female extension cable, so it doesn't stick out dangerously. It might also include a USB connector, so we could use the large batteries in iPads to charge other devices.

We're touching on one of my chronic gripes with Apple. The company doesn't understand the lives most of us lead. Not only are Apple's non-retail employees paid well, when something they own that Apple makes breaks, they can replace it for free or at a discount. The result is a host of products that are easily damaged but difficult to repair, particularly their laptops. Most irritating.

Did you read the Ars review yet?

Apparently according to them, the Pencil comes with a cable.

Article here: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/hands-on-with-the-ipad-pro-its-keyboard-and-its-pencil/

The $99 Apple Pencil will appeal to those who want more precision, those who like to handwrite their notes, or artists and illustrators. The accessory is made primarily of white plastic that actually looks more like an Apple accessory from a decade ago during the company's "white plastic" phase. The pen is light and easy to hold but a bit glossy and slippery and it doesn't fit in particularly well with the rest of the iPad's design.

That aside, while we were scribbling with it the pen seemed to work more or less as Apple described. It responded to light and firm presses, and as we tilted the pen the lines we were drawing changed. Palm and wrist rejection also seems to work well—at one point an Apple rep running a demo laid his entire forearm on the iPad's screen without affecting the pencil. Apple includes an undisclosed number of replacement tips for the pencil, since they'll wear down over time (the representative we talked to compared it to a ballpoint pen refill), and Apple will also sell replacement tips separately.

The accessory charges with a Lightning connector that plugs directly into the iPad Pro or an included dongle—this connector is used to pair the Apple Pencil with the iPad Pro the first time you use it. The connector is hidden under a removable magnetic cap at the top of the device. Apple says the pencil should last about 12 hours, and that in emergencies 15 seconds of charging can provide about 30 minutes of use.

[@]SolipsismY[/@]Also of note: the nibs actually are textured and create a small amount of drag so that it's NOT like writing with a ball-point pen on glass. ^^^

*** Yeah.... that's we come here to AI so that we can link to articles that finish doing their "hands on" reporting for them :p
  • Reply 160 of 247
    Did you read the Ars review yet?

Apparently according to them, the Pencil comes with a cable.

"The accessory charges with a Lightning connector that plugs directly into the iPad Pro or an included dongle"

I wonder if the dongle is designed with USB-A on one end so you can plug it into an iDevice PSU.