Hands on: iPad Pro with Apple Pencil

Comments

• Reply 161 of 247
    solipsismy wrote: »
    "The accessory charges with a Lightning connector that plugs directly into the iPad Pro or an included dongle"

I wonder if the dongle is designed with USB-A on one end so you can plug it into an iDevice PSU.

????

But I'll let Jony describe it in his own words.... :D
  • Reply 162 of 247
    ????

But I'll let Jony describe it in his own words.... :D

There are multiple ways to create a dongle for charing Pencil. It can be Lightning(m)-to-Lightning(f) so it's an extension for plugging it into an iPad Pro, or you could make it so you can charge it off, say, one of the countless iPhone PSUs most of have in a drawer, which would mean USB-A(m)-to-Lightning(f).
  • Reply 163 of 247
    emoeller wrote: »
    "Over 20 years ago in 1994, Apple released its first Newton Message Pad, coining the term "Personal Digital Assistant" and introducing a pen-oriented user interface into the mainstream. Microsoft followed up with various Pen-oriented add-ons for Windows, and Newton was largely overshadowed by a much cheaper, simpler pen PDA from Palm."

Back in the day when I owned my first Apple II, Apple introduced its first "Apple Graphics Tablet" (1979, http://www.computerworld.com/article/2519943/apple-mac/face-off--1979-apple-graphics-tablet-vs--2010-apple-ipad.html )
    It cost about half as much as a new Apple II, but I scooped one up (about half a month's salary for me at the time) to help with digital input of geologic cross sections.  This was Apple's first use of a digitizer pen.

We've come a long, long ways....

You crazy Willis you!

Microsoft invented the pen and Samsung popularized it! Get with the program!

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 164 of 247
    cali wrote: »
    A dock for what? The Pencil?!?!!

Doesn't the thing charge in 3 minutes? Why would you need a dock?
    Unless I'm confused about charging time I can see a dock selling to the uninformed market.

No. I don't believe it does.

You'll need to ask Soli though for particulars.
  • Reply 165 of 247
    gumbi wrote: »
     I doubt it has anything to do with licensing terms.  It's probably the same reason that MS switched away from Wacom for there surface line - the way Wacom digitizers work causes you to have a thicker display layer and therefore a thicker device.  Also, a bit more parallax effect because of it.  ?

I imagine it is about reducing parallax (can't be totally eliminated) and most importantly saving on weight and thickness.  Also, the only really cool feature that the pencil has is the tilt control, that isn't really a thing with a Wacom type stylus.

You're talking about the one for the Surface, right?

On Wacom Tablets and Cintiqs tilt has been adjustable and working for many many years.

Just FYI.
  • Reply 166 of 247
    ireland wrote: »
    I'm sure Adobe is looking closely at porting Photoshop to iOS for this device. People could literally sit in the park with this and Pencil and do their work. And given the right price point I'd say they'll hit the ball out of the park.

More importantly... and this would send our new friend [@]Glasses Man[/@] into an unspeakable rage if it happens:

What *if* Microsoft decides to release Project Gustav aka Fresh Paint for the iPad Pro?

From TechMIX 2010 with Bill Buxton and artist Nick Kamuda.

Really cool thing about Gustav is watch how Nick Kamuda uses multi-touch, the pen, and his finger (sometimes his thumb) for smudging... just like a real artist would on paper or canvas.

[VIDEO]

Edited to add: there's a video at an MSDN site that unfortunately for many wouldn't be able to watch it because you need the Flip4Mac (WMV) extionsion installed (don't do it). It only shows Kamuda painting on a Wacom tablet with the pen and finger-painting on the precursor to the Surface.
  • Reply 167 of 247
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    ignomini wrote: »
    What about handwriting recognition? For those of us who never learned to touch type, adding recognition to the notes app would have been a big deal. I'm not artistic enough to have any other use for the pen.

I highly doubt you will get usable handwriting recognition on an iPad. I am not artistic either but I do write mathematical papers and this would seem to fit the bill. Handwriting recognition works ok on a Surface with One Note as long as you are writing text. The moment you deviate from ascot you run into problems. It may be that there will be some kind of handwriting recognition in the system ( OSX seems to have a type of recognition and some apps on the IPad also have it). Both handwriting and voice recognition have to be really accurate in order to avoid spending more time editing the results than just typing them.
  • Reply 168 of 247
    emoeller wrote: »
    "Over 20 years ago in 1994, Apple released its first Newton Message Pad, coining the term "Personal Digital Assistant" and introducing a pen-oriented user interface into the mainstream. Microsoft followed up with various Pen-oriented add-ons for Windows, and Newton was largely overshadowed by a much cheaper, simpler pen PDA from Palm."

Back in the day when I owned my first Apple II, Apple introduced its first "Apple Graphics Tablet" (1979, http://www.computerworld.com/article/2519943/apple-mac/face-off--1979-apple-graphics-tablet-vs--2010-apple-ipad.html )
    It cost about half as much as a new Apple II, but I scooped one up (about half a month's salary for me at the time) to help with digital input of geologic cross sections.  This was Apple's first use of a digitizer pen.

We've come a long, long ways....

Very nice. I didn't even know that they had a tablet before.
  • Reply 169 of 247
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    mrr wrote: »
    OK Apple. THANK YOU for finally not forcing us draw with our fingers any more.

PLEASE incorporate the Apple Pencil into the next gen of the ENTIRE line of iPhone and iPad.

I highly doubt that will happen. The pencil would seem to be aimed at a very small market. Handwriting seems to have gone out of style and there are only so many serious artists around. There are also even fewer mathematicians and other theoretical hard scientists. The typewriter seems to have taken over unfortunately.
  • Reply 170 of 247

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, ArsTechna didn't clarify what that "dongle" does. It may just be Apple's term on the on-pencil connector. My hope is that it pairs the male Lightning connector on the Apple Pencil with regular USB power, so you can charge it in the absence of an iPad. If that's lacking, Apple will get complaints.

I checked. Apple's product page for the pencil makes no mention of any additional cable:

http://www.apple.com/apple-pencil/

At present, Apple doesn't seem to have a tech spec page for it that would list what it ships with. I've contacted someone in Apple's press division for an answer.

• Reply 171 of 247
    Even if Apple screwed up and intended to charge it solely via the iPad, after all the people talking about it I bet they ship it with a stand (goes in between your charger and iPad).
  • Reply 172 of 247
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I highly doubt that will happen. The pencil would seem to be aimed at a very small market. Handwriting seems to have gone out of style and there are only so many serious artists around. There are also even fewer mathematicians and other theoretical hard scientists. The typewriter seems to have taken over unfortunately.

While I doubt it would come to iPhone (seems way to far from Apple's approach to make it operate as "one-handed" as possible) - I can see it coming to future versions of the Air (or perhaps even Mini) with time.  If you want the product line to continue, you of course need to encourage upgrades, and this is one way of doing it.  I think this new iPad Pro is just awesome on features/functionality, but am not sure the sheer size of it would make it as versatile as I find the Air 2, for me.

I know many people in the "general business" world that use those general touch stylus for talking notes, making diagrams, etc, on iPad Air/Mini, because they prefer that to typing (takes two hands) or just are used to that form of note taking.  I think anyone with kids would find uses for it, as would those using it for education purposes

Enabling the Apple Pencil with the more accurate touch screen would be a great future upgrade for the rest of the iPad line.  I would upgrade from my Air 2 in a heartbeat.  

• Reply 173 of 247
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

You're talking about the one for the Surface, right?

On Wacom Tablets and Cintiqs tilt has been adjustable and working for many many years.

Just FYI.

?

That maybe true with the higher end stuff - I haven't had much experience with that, so color me wrong there :)  But, yes, I've never seen that particular feature on the surface (I have an original pro with the Wacom digitizer)...

• Reply 174 of 247

Let it charge for 15-30 seconds while you get up to stretch or use the facilities...I'm pretty sure it's not necessary to leave it in for hours dangling around as you seem to be suggesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

A concern that's been brought up by people I've talked to is the charging method for the Pencil. It just seems like an accident waiting to happen, having it sticking out of your iPad.

• Reply 175 of 247

You could also be clumsy and knock the iPad off the table.  Or even worse, slip and somehow impale yourself on the Apple Pencil...wow...Apple really doesn't care about safety...

While a possibility...I don't think it's going to happen so much to be an issue....

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) Charging doesn't work that way.

2) That's the thing, you could come back and bend it. A coffee break doesn't exactly make people less forgetful or clumsy.

• Reply 176 of 247
    9secondko wrote: »
    It would be great if the Pencil had a sensor that let the iPad know when the eraser side was touching the screen. Instead of selecting the eraser tool in software. It would be like drawing and erasing with a real pencil. I actually thought it had this function until I saw the opposite end of the pencil tip was just a plug to power it up.

What a waste.

Would really cause the Pencil name to be meaningful.

I've been waiting for this kind of iPad for years and the lack of an eraser on the end irritates me enough to consider waiting for a different stylus that has one. My Wacom intuos and styli are wonderfully natural and it's rather dumb that Apple claims to have developed this for artists, yet didn't put an eraser end on it. Wacom's styli aren't cheap, but they're excellent. I'm not afraid of paying $50 more for full functionality.
  • Reply 177 of 247
    If someone is that careless than they don't need to have nice things and they probably deserve what they get. Myself included
    misa wrote: »
    The problem is that (like anything else plugged into a port) there is easily too much leverage given to the pencil. So simply trying to pull it from the iPad Pro might snap off the lightning connector, rendering it incapable of charging forever-more. Like, as much as Wacom is overpriced nonsense, their batteryless design eliminates this AND makes it possible to use multiple stylus without having to pair another one.

Like I don't think it's too much of a big deal, one would have to be very careless to break it off. A more pressing need is the lack of any way of attaching it to the iPad Pro, thus the pencil gets shoved in a purse if one doesn't have an iPad Pro cover designed for it.
  • Reply 178 of 247
    You aren't required to plug it in to the iPad. It will have a charging cable.
    Additionally, why does it 'require' an 'eraser'? Its not an actual pencil. Requiring someone to flip the pencil around in order to use it like a traditional eraser is absurd. Just change the selection tool to eraser mode and boom....eraser.
    9secondko wrote: »
    Agreed. They should have used the keyboard contacts to connect to Snd charge the pencil.

So much missed opportunity. Though it's still amazing.

Touch charging and an actual digital eraser are two HUGE missing features. Hopefully they get baked into version 2.0
  • Reply 179 of 247
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DiegoG View Post

You aren't required to plug it in to the iPad. It will have a charging cable.

Additionally, why does it 'require' an 'eraser'? Its not an actual pencil. Requiring someone to flip the pencil around in order to use it like a traditional eraser is absurd. Just change the selection tool to eraser mode and boom....eraser.

Did you actually use a stylus for drawing yet?

I find flipping the stylus for erasing with it's other end faster than selecting the erase-tool.

• Reply 180 of 247
    Yes. I use a stylus quite often. And I still do a lot with pencils and erasers. Granted I use a malleable gum eraser mostly so I never "flip" a pencil to erase anything. Haven't for years. Selecting the erase tool is no different than changing the color or thickness, etc. it's not a pencil regardless of its name. It's a pointing implement with 'options'. While I'm sure it would be a nice option to be able to flip it I would guess that the amount of people that are stuck in that habit were too few to warrant the inclusion of that feature. As noted previously...it's not like apple is just guessing or throwing darts at a wall when it comes to design.

Did you actually use a stylus for drawing yet?
    I find flipping the stylus for erasing with it's other end faster than selecting the erase-tool.