Say goodbye to Quantum

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
According to <a href="http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/020801/tech_quantum_ceo_1.html"; target="_blank">this article</a>, Rick Belluzo, the man who has sent HP, SGI and even Microsoft tilting at phenomenally expensive windmills, has now assumed control of Quantum.

He replaces their CEO of eighteen years, who, admittedly, wasn't exactly setting the company on fire. The company, once a large hard drive supplier, now makes enterprise-grade tape backup machines and storage servers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The name is familiar, but could you refresh my memory. Judging by my vague memory and your thread title, I take it his name signifies bad things historically.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    ohhh, Quantum...

I remember having some of their disks in some of my old macintoshs...

now they're leaving us...

*sniff**buhhuhhuhu* &lt;-- screaming

[ 08-01-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    For those of you who have forgotten or weren't there to remember, Quantum was one of Apple's main suppliers of internal SCSI drives. I always liked them and found them to be pretty reliable. I'm using one right now in my 8600, actually. It's too bad they stopped producing consumer ware.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Yes, I had one in my 8600 also (a Quantum Fireball, IIRC) but it died two years ago. Fortunately, I already had a second drive in there and was able to salvage everything before the drive completely stopped working.

The SCSI drive that shipped with my dual 500 is also a Quantum. It's the Quantum Atlas 10K II. It has performed extremely well for me and I have never had any problems with it.

LOL, I like what <a href="http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/00q3/000920/"; target="_blank">Tom's Hardware</a> has to say about the 10K II:

"This 10,000 rpm is not suited for desktop computers. Due to the high revolution speed, both drive temperature and vibrations are quite high and will certainly put your nerves to the test. In return you will get an excellent workstation or server drive with high capacity and high performance."

Yeah. :cool:
  • Reply 5 of 7
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    Quantum's hard drive division was sold to Maxtor in <a href="http://www.techweb.com/wire/finance/story/INV20001004S0012"; target="_blank">2000</a>.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    macguymacguy Posts: 22member
    Yeah, I remember they were one of the first companies that started shipping those 40GB Hard Drives that at the time seemed so silly.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The thing I know Belluzo best for was getting SGI in bed with MS, and trying to kill IRIX and move to NT. I'm pretty sure he was also responsible for the sale of key IP to Microsoft.

This tack quickly sent the company spiraling from troubled to dying; they've only just begun to recover. Anyway, shortly after selling SGI out to MS, Belluzo accepted a position at MS (imagine that!).