Apple takes online storefront offline ahead of iPhone 6s, reveals new greeting [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Apple's online storefront, now integrated into product pages, went down just before 6 p.m. Pacific as the company prepares for what is expected to be an onslaught of iPhone 6s preorders.

As with every new product launch, Apple's online store went down for maintenance ahead of Saturday's iPhone 6s preorder kickoff. New for 2015, however, is a revamped away message that has been changed from the terse "We'll be back" to "We can't wait to show you what we have in store."

Apple's iPhone 6s and 6s Plus will go up for preorder in just a few hours, bringing with it one of the biggest "s" updates in Apple's history. The upcoming smartphone not only includes CPU enhancements and camera buffs, but a completely new form of pressure-sensitive input in 3D Touch and Taptic Engine feedback. Other additions include a chassis made from 7000 series aluminum, a faster Touch ID system, support for LTE Advanced, 802.11ac with MIMO, Bluetooth 4.2 and more. Apple also introduced a new rose gold color option.

In preparation of iPhone 6s, AppleInsider created a handy preorder guide to make sure buyers are ready when Apple's system goes live at 12:01 a.m. Pacific.

Update: It appears Apple's entire consumer-facing website is suffering from issues potentially related to tonight's iPhone 6s sales debut, as Apple.com is returning an access denied error.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member

GIVE ME!

• Reply 2 of 13
    Do we anticipate it coming up before the 12PM PDT starting time?

I haven't yet pre-entered my order info; I planned to do that tonight before the sale begins.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    AT&T told me earlier that their online preordering starts at 12:01 am CENTRAL time. They ship the phones directly, and for Next customers you have 10 days to ship your trade-in phone back with a prepaid label. Hopefully, they'll have the models and colors we want.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Whole website is down, DENIED ACCESS
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    The iOS Apple Store iPhone app message is more terse.

Mobile.....
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

Do we anticipate it coming up before the 12PM PDT starting time?

I thought it's supposed to come up at 12AM (midnight), not 12PM (noon)?

• Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zigzaglens View Post

I thought it's supposed to come up at 12AM (midnight), not 12PM (noon)?

Yes, you're right.  My error.  Thanks!

• Reply 8 of 13

Just preordered mine. Preorders are live on Verizon now. 

• Reply 9 of 13

just pre-ordered mine as well - apple store app.  T-Mobile, 128 gb 6s+ in space grey.

• Reply 10 of 13

Just reserved my phone from the store app as well. No luck on the website.

• Reply 11 of 13
    roakeroake Posts: 809member

I tried the Apple.com site, the Apple Store app, and the ATT.com site.

The Apple Store app was the first to be responsive, but seemed to have errors.

The first where I could place the actual order was on the Apple.com site.  Gold 6S+ 128gb delivering 9/25.  I paid the full price up front.

The, finally the ATT site came up.  Seems that you can get the same phone through AT&T, keep your grandfathered plan (I have unlimited plan), and sign a 2-year deal to lower the price by $500.  I went ahead and ordered here as well (I simply used another of the phones on my account to upgrade).  Says delivery 10/16, however.

My question is this... why was the 2-year contract not an option through Apple.com like it was every previous year?

I'm hopeful that I can work all this in such a way as to get the phone with the $500 contract, and also have it 9/25.  I'll be getting a refund on one of the phones.  I have a couple weeks to think about it. 

Unrelated, but I just noted that our local Apple Store has sold out of all 6S Plus 128gb model reservations, and are out of Rose Gold and Space Gray 64gb versions.  All flavors of 16gb are available.

In the 6S models, only the 128gb Rose Gold is sold out.  Everything else is available for reservation.

• Reply 12 of 13
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    roake wrote: »
    I tried the Apple.com site, the Apple Store app, and the ATT.com site.

The Apple Store app was the first to be responsive, but seemed to have errors.

The first where I could place the actual order was on the Apple.com site.  Gold 6S+ 128gb delivering 9/25.  I paid the full price up front.

The, finally the ATT site came up.  Seems that you can get the same phone through AT&T, keep your grandfathered plan (I have unlimited plan), and sign a 2-year deal to lower the price by $500.  I went ahead and ordered here as well (I simply used another of the phones on my account to upgrade).  Says delivery 10/16, however.

My question is this... why was the 2-year contract not an option through Apple.com like it was every previous year?

I'm hopeful that I can work all this in such a way as to get the phone with the $500 contract, and also have it 9/25.  I'll be getting a refund on one of the phones.  I have a couple weeks to think about it. 

Unrelated, but I just noted that our local Apple Store has sold out of all 6S Plus 128gb models, and are out of Rose Gold and Space Gray 64gb versions.  All flavors of 16gb are available.
    AT&T pulled the contract option off Apple some time ago, around June 5. I don't recall if they said a "why" in their announcement.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-removes-option-to-buy-iphone-via-at-t-two-year-contract/#!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sd-diver View Post

just pre-ordered mine as well - apple store app.  T-Mobile, 128 gb 6s+ in space grey.

Update.  After being on hold for 45 minutes, I got through to T-Mobile to check out the jump on demand.  Same phone as above, but instead of$1024.92 after tax, it cost me $199.99 up front and $24/mo for 18 months.  At that point, I pay $263.50 and it's mine.  Total cost: $895.49.  A savings of $129.43.  Guess I'll be canceling my Apple Store order.  Now to see if T-Mobile will just let me pay the whole amount now...