Apple's iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus now available for preorder

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
As promised, Apple and its partner wireless carriers opened iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus preorders a minute after midnight on Saturday through their respective online storefronts, though Apple.com saw initial troubles.

The preorder process seems to be going somewhat smoothly at all outlets, though some customers shopping through Apple had to process their order from the Apple Store app, as the Web portal was offline for about 20 minutes after midnight. Apple.com last year experienced long delays due to server issues. Some AppleInsider readers reported preordering through carrier websites well before 12:01 a.m. Pacific.

Two-year contract pricing starts at $199 for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6s with 16GB of storage, $299 for 64GB and $399 for 128GB. The 5.5-inch iPhone 6s Plus sells for $299, $399 and $499 for 16GB, 64GB and 128GB of storage, respectively. Contract-free prices start at $649 for the iPhone 6s and $749 for the 6s Plus, with larger capacity models moving up in $100 increments.

It should be noted that the new iPhone Upgrade Program is only available in brick-and-mortar Apple Stores, meaning customers wanting to purchase a handset on launch day must reserve a unit through Apple's website now for pick up and payment on Sept. 25.

Apple is launching iPhone 6s and 6s Plus in 12 countries, including Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore, the UK, and the U.S. Last year's iPhone 6 launched in 9 countries, the most notable exception being China. Preorders are slated to arrive on Sept. 25, the same day Apple is expected to have stock at brick-and-mortar Apple Stores.

Finally, first party iPhone 6s accessories, including like-colored charging docks and fitted cases, are showing ship-by times of one to three days.

For buyers interested in trading in old iPhones to put toward a new model, AppleInsider put together a comprehensive guide detailing the best values from the industry's top companies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 151
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Done with the app: easy.

9/25 delivery.
  • Reply 2 of 151
    Reserved. Easy.
  • Reply 3 of 151

Ordered mine 10 minutes before 12am on Verizon. 

• Reply 4 of 151
    Done and done (a phone for different accounts for in-store pickup). For me that couldn't have been easier, but I'm hearing some are still getting the we'll be back soon page 15 minutes past midnight.
  • Reply 5 of 151
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I don't want one. It's too big for me to use one-handed. I'll wait for the iPhone 6C. Until then, I'll make do with my iPhone 5S, though I would really like Apple Pay support.
  • Reply 6 of 151
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

iPhone 6s Plus 128GB Space Grey went through smooth at about 8:05am, on the website surprisingly.

Due for delivery on 25th September.

• Reply 7 of 151
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Uh, arrival date is 9/25, not 9/19.

The iOS app was about 4 minutes late coming back alive but the order went smoothly and quickly. 128GB Rose Gold 6S plus on AT&T. 9/25 delivery according to the order.
  • Reply 8 of 151
    mcarling wrote: »
    I don't want one. It's too big for me to use one-handed. I'll wait for the iPhone 6C. Until then, I'll make do with my iPhone 5S, though I would really like Apple Pay support.
    You could get a Watch, that will add Apple Pay functionality to the 5s. The 5s Touch I. D. allows backward comparability that far.
  • Reply 9 of 151
    The utterly shallow and impatient person that I am, the 128GB rosé champagne 6s is preordered and promised for September 25. :D

(It would not let me do ApplePay or in-store pickup, for some reason!? Also, a new $15 activation fee).

Add: Apple is doomed™, as usual. No wait, too easy to order, so nobody must want the new iPhone 6s.
  • Reply 10 of 151
    Sprint cycles through a variety of errors; doesn't work. Why, oh why, is it always Sprint reminding me how dumb I am to be their customer?
  • Reply 11 of 151
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

You could get a Watch, that will add Apple Pay functionality to the 5s.

The Apple Watch supports Apple Pay without any need for an iPhone nearby.  The only reason the Apple Watch needs an iPhone at all is for software updates and data syncing.  One can leave the iPhone at home and Apple Pay still works fine using an Apple Watch.

I'll buy an Apple Watch when they are thinner.  I expect a 4" iPhone with a more up-to-date feature set than the iPhone 5S will be released first.

• Reply 12 of 151

Wow, apple website saying no option for discounted upgrade on my grandfathered unlimited subsidized plan. Only options was full price or NEXT. Had to order through ATT website! Anyone else get this? 

• Reply 13 of 151
    Doubt a 6c is coming.
  • Reply 14 of 151

Same here, 2 6s 64GB rose gold, 1 6s+ 128GB space gray - AT&T Next.

As usual these ANALyst don't know what they are talking about - this will be the new way upgrade your phone - if you are in the US on one of the installment plans, there is simply no reason not to upgrade to the latest and greatest every year.

• Reply 15 of 151
    mcarling wrote: »

The Apple Watch supports Apple Pay without any need for an iPhone nearby.  The only reason the Apple Watch needs an iPhone at all is for software updates and data syncing.  One can leave the iPhone at home and Apple Pay still works fine using an Apple Watch.

I'll buy an Apple Watch when they are thinner.  I expect a 4" iPhone with a more up-to-date feature set than the iPhone 5S will be released first.
    "One can leave the iPhone at home and Apple Pay still works fine using an Apple Watch." I didn't realize that. Interesting. I thought Apple Pay was tighter linked to Touch I. D. than that for some reason.
  • Reply 16 of 151
    The iPad version of the Apple Store app allows to make a reservation for in-store purchase.
  • Reply 17 of 151
    reklss41 wrote: »
    Wow, apple website saying no option for discounted upgrade on my grandfathered unlimited subsidized plan. Only options was full price or NEXT. Had to order through ATT website! Anyone else get this? 
    That was announced by AT&T last spring (?). Iirc if you're at your contract turnover you can get a discount and extend it via a purchase through AT&T, but not Apple [ETA: as you write you found you had to do]. They're being douchey that way. I bet that's part of the incentive for Apple to take the trouble to set up their upgrade program. A return of the "favor" so to speak.
  • Reply 18 of 151
    Easy Breezy! Picking it up Friday!
  • Reply 19 of 151
    Easy Breezy! Picking it up Friday!

You know that's in 2 weeks, not one week, right?
  • Reply 20 of 151
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by reklss41 View Post

I did not try but it was a news article a few weeks ago that AT&T pulled all 2 year contract phone sales options from Apple and was offering them only through their own stores/website.  So that is not new really.