Apple cuts prices & upgrades iCloud storage plans, eliminates 500GB option

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StaceyMJ86 View Post

As soon as Apple switched to the new iCloud pricing I went and purchased a $50 iTunes card that I got on sale and let iTunes debit my $3.99 a month from that instead of my credit card.

Ah, good idea.  I bought a $100 iTunes card on eBay (digital redemption) from Paypal for $75 this week and another for $80 a month or two ago...   Good way to save on your iCloud costs!

• Reply 42 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Don't forget the OneDrive for all Office 365 customers is going unlimited.

https://blog.onedrive.com/office-365-onedrive-unlimited-storage/

Looks like unlimited is not officially available yet though. Scroll to the end of the Comments section on the page linked, and you will see quite a few commenters wondering when unlimited will be available (a year after the announcement now). Plus, it does not look like OneDrive for Business will qualify (so not all Office 365 customers).

That said, 1TB free with every account (consumer or business) is a pretty good deal, but as other posters have indicated, it is not a complete backup solution for iOS devices like iCloud is. I do wish that every iOS device owned came with its own 5GB iCloud allotment.

BTW, there is not yet a OneDrive for Business app for OS X (only the consumer OneDrive has an OS X app). However, the iOS app lets you connect to multiple OneDrive accounts, whether consumer or Business (I have connected both my personal account, and my company's Business account). I actually don't use it that often, but it seems to be reliable.

• Reply 43 of 61

I absolutely agree with you 100%. I use OneDrive for everything now. Even the free option is twice that of Google and 6 times that of Apple. Phone backups? Apple. All other content? OneDrive. And no restrictions on how many devices I use it or access it from.

• Reply 44 of 61

It works on every platform. The only thing you will back up to iCloud is your device settings, messages etc. OneDrive can handle everything else including auto backup of your photos. Oh and you can access everything from anywhere. Web Browser, PC, Mac, iPhone, Android etc.

• Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Ah, good idea.  I bought a $100 iTunes card on eBay (digital redemption) from Paypal for $75 this week and another for $80 a month or two ago...   Good way to save on your iCloud costs!

Best Buy always discounts iTunes cards for black Friday.  I stock up then for the year.

• Reply 46 of 61
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

Best Buy always discounts iTunes cards for black Friday.  I stock up then for the year.

I used to use theirs too but recently the best I saw was about 15% off.  The Paypal and others on eBay that happen periodically are usually better discounts -- 20-25%.   Whatever deals you can find are great.   A couple years ago I got them from Bestbuy.com and from Office max or depot (in store) on black friday.  

• Reply 47 of 61

And absolutely nothing changed for iTunes Match. Same 25,000 song limit. No option to upgrade.

Someone in Cupertino is fast asleep.

• Reply 48 of 61

Sog, don't take this the wrong way. Some points you make are very good, but sometimes you antagonise people with a callous remark. Case in point:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

but OneDrive does not automatically backup your phone/iPad like iCloud.

99 cents per month for 50GB is excellent. 

That is a perfectly reasonable response. But:

Quote:

If someone can't afford 99 cents a month they should be buying Android devices anyway.

This is totally unnecessary. 

A lot of your posts lose their value due to remarks like this and your perchance to issue ban challenges.

• Reply 49 of 61
    I think this is yet to happen outside the US ?
  • Reply 50 of 61
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Neither is "trumped" by OneDrive because OneDrive is an absolute mess.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    That is a perfectly reasonable response. But:

This is totally unnecessary. 

A lot of your posts lose their value due to remarks like this and your perchance to issue ban challenges.

Disagree. Complaining about $0.99/mon for 50 GB is very much an Android troll kind of thing to do.

And implying that poor people use android is statistically accurate.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

It's more competitive; however for the same $10 a month you can get five installs of Office 365 and 1TB of OneDrive space.

And then you're stuck with five installs of Office 365.

• Reply 53 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

Does iCloud file storage mimic a traditional file system that lets you use one folder to hold documents of different types: (a) written docs, (b) spreadsheets, (c) PDFs, etc.

For Apple's push into the enterprise, this absence within the iPad itself has always seemed a major impediment to me.  In a traditional Mac or PC file system, it's convenient to create a folder for a project (e.g., "New Kitchen") and then use that folder to store all artifacts related to that project. Since iOS traditionally allows access to documents via the app that created them (vs. via a general purpose file system windows), it seemed hard to combine artifacts in a single easily-accessible place.

Yes it does. With Apple's deals with Cisco and IBM, I think their push into the enterprise uses a different paradigm than required with traditional windows file management. If you need traditional workflows, go back to your traditional Macs and PC for the iCloud Drive. Simple!

• Reply 54 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Don't forget the OneDrive for all Office 365 customers is going unlimited.

https://blog.onedrive.com/office-365-onedrive-unlimited-storage/

And they still can't give it away!

• Reply 55 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

And absolutely nothing changed for iTunes Match. Same 25,000 song limit. No option to upgrade.

That song limit could very well be coming from Music labels

• Reply 56 of 61
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    elroth wrote: »

And then you're stuck with five installs of Office 365.
    :D
  • Reply 57 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Quote:

That song limit could very well be coming from Music labels

Since the limit at Amazon is 250,000 songs, I don't think it's an issue with the labels.

• Reply 58 of 61
    Quote:

Since the limit at Amazon is 250,000 songs, I don't think it's an issue with the labels.

Amazon could easily have a different agreement, but point taken

• Reply 59 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by magdog View Post

And they still can't give it away!

It doesn't work very well. OneDrive, that is. Syncing is garbage. I constantly end up with sync errors and duplicate fails and whole folders of "failed to sync" content. Its awful.

I've gone back to paying for Dropbox, even though my company pays for OneDrive. I can't deal with that shit. I need my files to sync, and reliably.

• Reply 60 of 61

I got an email from Apple that my iCloud storage has been upped to 1TB from 500GB.