Consumers favor Apple's rose gold iPhone 6s Plus with early preorders, Hong Kong sells out

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Demand for Apple's new iPhone 6s and 6s Plus appears strong --?especially for rose gold models --?with shipping times quickly jumping as high as 4 to 6 weeks and some countries selling out less than a day after they went on sale.

Consumers who have yet to preorder their new iPhone will have to wait a minimum of two weeks if they want an iPhone 6s plus, according to a blog that tracks shipping times from the Apple online store. The smaller iPhone 6s shows greater availability, though many customers will be forced to wait for that model as well.

The rose gold versions have been the first to slip, suggesting that consumers are responding well to Apple's new option. In Canada, for instance, the only iPhone 6s models showing any delay at press time were the 64- and 128-gigabyte rose gold variants.

All models are delayed in China, with the iPhone 6s showing 2 to 3 weeks across the board and the iPhone 6s Plus clocking in at 3 to 4 weeks.

In Hong Kong --?where many Chinese buyers prefer to shop thanks in part to its relaxed tax regime --?the new iPhones hit 4 to 6 weeks less than an hour after they went on sale. They were completely sold out at press time, unavailable for pre-order or reservation.

The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are slated to arrive in Apple's brick-and-mortar retail stores on Sept. 25. Those interested in trading in their old iPhone to purchase a newer model have several attractive options available, and AppleInsider has prepared a comprehensive guide to the best deals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    No numbers = failure. /s
  • Reply 2 of 115
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Why is it called Rose Gold? I can see why it would be called rose coloured, or even "light pink," but where is the gold?
  • Reply 3 of 115
    We preordered from AT&T online. My wife's 6s 64GB Space Gray is due 9/24, and my 6s Plus 128GB Space Gray is due a month later. That's OK. I spent a LOT of time in line at the Apple Store last year for our 6's. These will be shipped directly to us.
  • Reply 4 of 115
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    ascii wrote: »
    Why is it called Rose Gold? I can see why it would be called rose coloured, or even "light pink," but where is the gold?

Because it is metallic and has the same 'richness' in metallic look as the gold version (vs the silver) and also because rose gold is a real kind of gold and this mimics that.

The new apple watch in rose gold is already in stores so I saw what it looks like and it is a rich metallic rose color. Most is the anodized matte metallic look (like the gold) with polished shiny edges.
  • Reply 5 of 115
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Because it is metallic and has the same 'richness' in metallic look as the gold version (vs the silver) and also because rose gold is a real kind of gold and this mimics that.

Yes, you are right, it's not just a colour but an actual alloy. They make it by mixing copper with the gold. Well you learn something new every day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_gold#Rose.2C_red.2C_and_pink_gold

• Reply 7 of 115
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The color sounds awful to me. Like anodized metallic salmon. I used to own a 'champagne' colored car. It was horrible. But that's just me - color is a subjective choice and I'll always respect other's choice. I might shake my head quietly. I mean, I used to drive a metallic beige car!
  • Reply 8 of 115
    So Apple stock dropped because media insisted that iPhone sales were tanking in China. Tim Cook writes a letter to reassure investors but media doubts legitimacy. Analysts say new phones were not enough to boost sales. iPhone sells out in China in less than a day. At what point do they give Apple credit for being the most lucrative business and investment around. I am sure we will hear that it sold out because they only made half of what they made available last year
  • Reply 9 of 115
    paxman wrote: »
    The color sounds awful to me. Like anodized metallic salmon. I used to own a 'champagne' colored car. It was horrible. But that's just me - color is a subjective choice and I'll always respect other's choice. I might shake my head quietly. I mean, I used to drive a metallic beige car!

It might be more than just a subjective choice, but how we interrupt the colors could be highly subjective. I'm personally not a fan of gold color for fashion, and while there are probably some cultural aspects to that, it could also be in how the cones in my eyes or parts of my brain that interrupt the data from the cones registers colors with a golden hue.

edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vision#Cone_cells_in_the_human_eye

rumormill wrote: »
    So Apple stock dropped because media insisted that iPhone sales were tanking in China. Tim Cook writes a letter to reassure investors but media doubts legitimacy. Analysts say new phones were not enough to boost sales. iPhone sells out in China in less than a day. At what point do they give Apple credit for being the most lucrative business and investment around. I am sure we will hear that it sold out because they only made half of what they made available last year

What makes it more ridiculous is the iPhone became the most profitable handset — not just smartphone — in the world in around a year or so after being on the market and despite that it's just continued to excel. Tim showed how iPhone sales in China, Apple's 2nd largest market after the US, are through the roof, which is absolutely remarkable.
  • Reply 10 of 115
    I canny get the apple website to allow me to order the iPhone 6s Plus. The iPhone 6s only pops up. I want to join the new upgrade program.
  • Reply 11 of 115
    paxman wrote: »
    The color sounds awful to me.

I thought that colors were to look at, but whatever...
  • Reply 12 of 115
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Beautiful color. When I first heard the rumor it just made sense.

This color is also being purchased to differentiate between models and in China the iPhone is a status symbol. Showing you have the latest model is part of that.

Genius.
  • Reply 13 of 115
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I got pink aka rose gold because why not? There's a couple new sport band colors that I wanted too but they show as not shipping for 4-5 weeks. Sigh.
  • Reply 14 of 115
    cali wrote: »
    This color is also being purchased to differentiate between models and in China the iPhone is a status symbol. Showing you have the latest model is part of that.

Genius.

I agree. It makes sense to have a new "unique to the casing design color," at least with the 'S' model, to help drive sales of this status symbol. I bet a lot of people don't care for gold or rose gold but bought it anyway because it's unique. It will likely hold its original value a little better than the others, too.
  • Reply 15 of 115
    rogifan wrote: »
    I got pink aka rose gold because why not?

Mine's copper. And I am sticking to that.
  • Reply 16 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rumormill View Post

This is the conversation that we have every time Apple comes out with the product. I am also getting tired of listening to the nonsense from ANALysts and Market media (especially the _icks and _itches on CNBC) Market only cares about speculative and near term growth companies. There is no longer any values in fundamentals (sadly). Even though last quarter, they missed by 1 million (like doing 50 million v/s 51 million), and that too also on some whisper number and not official estimate and they killed the stock. The market is no longer run by intelligent people - It is all algorithms, which is mainly number focused. This was obviously demonstrated by how the market reacted for stocks of the company who has nothing to do with the China situation (they were getting dumped with the rest). But, sadly enough, market is the only place where you can increase (and time to time decrease) your wealth and we are all sadly dependent on ANALyst.

Anyway, I am sure even with the positive tick on iPhone 6s sale, they will come up with same old reasoning or even come up with another completely lame thought, Apple is using their own money from from overseas to buy their own products and dumping them in the ocean to create artificial demand (I know it is stupid - No different then ANALyst and financial media)

• Reply 17 of 115
    I just wish the rose gold had a black front. Everything save the space black has that white front, which I do not care for.
  • Reply 18 of 115
    ascii wrote: »

Never been married before? Or your girlfriend never wanted a ring? Rose gold, Platinum, Silver, Gold, etc., all become well-versed when you have one or the other in your life.
  • Reply 19 of 115

Not astonished that the "new" color sells like crazy, but a bit astonished that the Plus version is again having worse availability (or higher demand) than Apple expected (or can produce). They also seem to be a bit short on 128 GB models for both models / all colors. I would understand if the Plus is harder to produce (for whatever reason), but making enough 128 GB models should not be an issue? Do they really think people with data allowances around 200 MB and 1 GB (the majority of affordable contracts in most countries) will all buy the 16 GB models and stream everything? Puzzles me a bit.

• Reply 20 of 115
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rumormill View Post

So Apple stock dropped because media insisted that iPhone sales were tanking in China. Tim Cook writes a letter to reassure investors but media doubts legitimacy. Analysts say new phones were not enough to boost sales. 

Well, they did not really succeed. Apple's stock did not drop more than all stocks overall. And clever investors know that the China situation has no effect on the Chinese people who can afford iPhones, any crisis is always paid for by the unwashed masses.

Of course the "S" models will boost sales, since the 4S the "S" years have always increased the user base faster, and there are much more people due for renewal than last year. And, with Samsung asking identical prices now (for remotely similar phones) and Android security horror stories all over the media daily... a child could predict how this will go. As always, this was a nice opportunity to buy more stock. I did.