Apple's new 12.9-inch iPad Pro has 4GB of RAM, doubling iPad Air 2

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 64
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

     

    My point is related to numbers and medium. Just because you hear it on a tech blog doesn't mean it's a serious issue, it's just a problem over which *some* techies are currently foaming at the mouth. Most people don't give a rat's arse what techies find annoying, so my point is that it's not as big a deal as the internets would have you believe. And for those that do find it an issue, it's never as big an issue as you read here by some. According to mouth foamers it's a problem that requires everyone to stop the spinning the planet, while the rest of the world look up from their desks and go, "ho-hum, we're working around that, no big deal," and get back to work.




    The anecdotes that sprang to mind didn't strike me as either foaming at the mouth or even slightly unreasonable so I think your perception is inaccurate.

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cropr View Post

     



    Hardware looks great, but I am worried about the limitations of iOS in the enterprise.  As long as there is no decent file manager on iOS for the data files, (not for the the internal OS stuff because that is irrelevant) I remain skeptical about deep penetration in the enterprise.  In the past I tried to use an iPad only for managing my company, but it was virtually impossible to get organized.  The one folder deep per app approach failed miserably for the 600 files I needed to access on a daily basis. Give the iPad Pro OSX and I am sold.


     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post





    Please forward this to Tim Cook. If there is one thing I hate about iPad (something I generally love to use) is that file handling simply sucks. As such it can't even remotely replace a laptop.

  • Reply 42 of 64
    File handling isn't a tech blog complaint. It's a complaint for anyone creating a lot of content on their iOS device. That's something Apple should WANT to make comfortable.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

     

    The anecdotes that sprang to mind didn't strike me as either foaming at the mouth or even slightly unreasonable so I think your perception is inaccurate.


    And I think not, but then again, I win. :p

  • Reply 44 of 64

    Brings back the conversations from two years ago when Apple introduced the A7. "64-bit? On a 1 GB device? IT'S JUST A MARKETING GIMMICK!"

     

    And here we are two years later, with the retirement of the iPhone 5c and the iPad mini, Apple has transitioned its entire lineup to 64-bit along with all the developer tools and app updates.

     

    Now with the iPad Pro, Apple has introduced a 64-bit 4 GB device, and the entire ecosystem is ready for it. A platform transition in only two years is remarkable when you think of how long ago the 64-bit transition started with desktop PCs.

     

    It was clear even two years ago that the A7 was the leading edge of a longer term platform strategy. Even without a large amount of RAM, the transition to the newer ARM code base improved performance in the short term, while seeding the ecosystem with 64-bit apps that can take full advantage of larger RAM capacity when those devices become available. And now with 4 GB RAM devices getting introduced, there are no arbitrary limits to what these devices can do, and no need to wait for 64-bit apps to come out, because the groundwork has already been laid out.

  • Reply 45 of 64
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    No other phone I use does this.

    Sounds like you just solved your own problem. So just use your "other phone."
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Funny how nobody got on Apple for using the word Pro, but lambasted Samsung for using Plus.
  • Reply 47 of 64

    The File system debate will become more important down the road because iPad is primarily a consumption device so Apple was leaning on the cloud and vendor to handle file and data.  The problem with this and I often had to deal with this is the data sits on someone's cloud and I can't get that data to open with another app or convert the data.  Which is why most folks end up going to Dropbox since they provide the most viewers and tools to access your data.  

     

    What some people hate is an app only saves to their own private cloud and no 3rd party cloud and you are forced to spend $$ and that's how they make money.

     

    I don't like limited options, I like 3rd part cloud support for all apps so I can inter-exchange the data easier.

  • Reply 48 of 64
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,509member
    It's your unicorn. For some it's IGZO. For others it's SkyLake. A few others want Santa to put OLEDs in everything. Still others expect 500ppi displays. Or thick and heavy bricks because there's no other way known to man to get more battery life. But most consumers just want to use their device to do something in their digital world. They're not chasing spec unicorns. This is why techies hate hate hate Apple, but consumers love them.

    Objection: for some, it's an iMac, Macbook or Macbook Air refresh. Or Thunderbolt monitor.

    Apple can no longer refresh these unless they can do a retina display. That means using a backplane technology that hardly anyone cares or knows about, oxide TFT, or IGZO. What prople want are the dense pixels, not the technology behind them.

    I care because of the explanatory power of the shrunken backplane. Why the refreshes are taking so long, why the devices that do make it into production are so light, beautiful, thin and efficient—the IGZO backplane.

    Please do not skip over causation. Doing so is a major source of insanity in these times. Do you want a job working for Gibney?
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

     

    Never have this issue on OSX or Windows. You might get your PC/Mac checked. 

     


     

    Sorry, I didn't explain my shift in context very well: I've professionally tested web and native apps, full-time, for the last 15 years, and wrote code for 12 years before that.  In other words, people pay me to break their stuff.

     

    Confess all the blind faith in your software you want, but I speak as one who lives in the dark side of it.

  • Reply 50 of 64
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

    Oh, good. This means that the iPad Pro might be the first iDevice in which your one open Mobile Safari browser tab won't reload when you switch to another app and back again.

     

    Given that even the first iPad doesn’t have to consistently do this…

  • Reply 51 of 64
    dysamoria wrote: »
    Frankly, giving full size computers such a glut of memory ends up allowing developers to waste resources and develop bloated applications, so tons of RAM isn't a panacea. Same as for CPUs; the faster they get, the sloppier the code is from many developers. Adobe is a major culprit in this area.

    Accidental post. Deleted.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mike1 View Post



    I was really hoping for the guts of the iPad Pro in the smaller screen size of the iPad Air2.

    Oh well. Maybe next time.



    An iPad Air 3 with ? pencil will make my ever present Moleskine redundant. Perfect weight & size for sketching on the go.

  • Reply 53 of 64
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post





    Fully agreed. This is exactly the kind of user experience annoyance stuff that irritates the hell out of me, which apparently tech people are conditioned to not notice, because computer tech is somehow exempt from the rules (apparently all rules).



    My iPhone 4 suffers this on a lot of pages, especially now that the web is all about loading as much TRASH as possible into a website. Even mobile pages are utterly full of bloat and time-wasting nonsense scripting. But even simple websites with less crap do this. Several of the bill paying websites I use do this. I want my confirmation number, but I've forgotten to copy it and switch to a different app. I switch back and the damn page reloads. Multitasking SHOULD = "nothing changes in an app while switching tasks unless the user explicitly invokes said change".

     

    Well, if a page takes half a gig to load and almost maxes out your CPU (wish that was a joke!) then maybe the problem is there. I can't believe the shit code so called web coders puke out! I've got nearly 30 years of experience in tech, so I've seen a lot of puke coders who think their hot shit.

     

    With IOS devices having no disk, and its storage not really suited to caching web sites, the sites are either in memory or dumped.

    With web site taking more space every second, should Apple ad 1G of Ram every year to accomodate those craptastic sites?

     

    BTW, Android phones with 3 times the memory, are even worse than IOS in regards to those ever bulging web sites.

  • Reply 54 of 64
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

     

     

    Well, if a page takes half a gig to load and almost maxes out your CPU (wish that was a joke!) then maybe the problem is there. I can't believe the shit code so called web coders puke out! I've got nearly 30 years of experience in tech, so I've seen a lot of puke coders who think their hot shit.

     

    With IOS devices having no disk, and its storage not really suited to caching web sites, the sites are either in memory or dumped.

    With web site taking more space every second, should Apple ad 1G of Ram every year to accomodate those craptastic sites?

     

    BTW, Android phones with 3 times the memory, are even worse than IOS in regards to those ever bulging web sites.


    I've recently blown through my data cap for several months, the biggest usage is for Safari even though I spend maybe 1% of my reading time in there. 

  • Reply 55 of 64
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,313member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

     

    Brings back the conversations from two years ago when Apple introduced the A7. "64-bit? On a 1 GB device? IT'S JUST A MARKETING GIMMICK!"

     

    And here we are two years later, with the retirement of the iPhone 5c and the iPad mini, Apple has transitioned its entire lineup to 64-bit along with all the developer tools and app updates.

     

    Now with the iPad Pro, Apple has introduced a 64-bit 4 GB device, and the entire ecosystem is ready for it. A platform transition in only two years is remarkable when you think of how long ago the 64-bit transition started with desktop PCs.

     

    It was clear even two years ago that the A7 was the leading edge of a longer term platform strategy. Even without a large amount of RAM, the transition to the newer ARM code base improved performance in the short term, while seeding the ecosystem with 64-bit apps that can take full advantage of larger RAM capacity when those devices become available. And now with 4 GB RAM devices getting introduced, there are no arbitrary limits to what these devices can do, and no need to wait for 64-bit apps to come out, because the groundwork has already been laid out.


     

    Nah, that sounds like being smart and long term planning, I mean, who does that? Surely Apple wasn't being that clever thinking that far ahead. People want their RAM NAO;)

  • Reply 56 of 64
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    noirdesir wrote: »
    I've recently blown through my data cap for several months, the biggest usage is for Safari even though I spend maybe 1% of my reading time in there. 
    You should really start using an app like Feedly or Flipboard. You get to read all of your Web site articles without downloading any of the unnecessary data surrounding it. I still prefer reading my sites this way even though I have an unlimited Data connection, your data accumulation would be split into more than half of what your using now.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

    You should really start using an app like Feedly or Flipboard. You get to read all of your Web site articles without downloading any of the unnecessary data surrounding it. 



    Or News, Apple’s new killer.

  • Reply 58 of 64
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     



    Or News, Apple’s new killer.


    I still prefer Flipboard when using a tablet and Feedly for my phone. Apple's News app really didn't add anything new that improved on the way I read my news. I also did a test to see which app used more data overall when viewing the source, Wired. Apple News was lower than Flipboard but that was to be expected,Feedly on the other hand collected almost half of what Apple News used, so it's still the better app to use on a phone if data is an issue. Still a nice app overall though.

  • Reply 59 of 64
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Funny how nobody got on Apple for using the word Pro, but lambasted Samsung for using Plus.
    Heard of the Mac Pro? The MacBook Pro? Yeah they've been around for years.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,980member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Funny how nobody got on Apple for using the word Pro, but lambasted Samsung for using Plus.
    Heard of the Mac Pro? The MacBook Pro? Yeah they've been around for years.

    Not for the iPad. My point is that it is stupid to criticize anyone for using common words in a name.
Sign In or Register to comment.