Apple issues first public beta of iOS 9.1 in run-up to official 9.0 release

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Apple on Thursday released the first public beta of iOS 9.1, allowing the public to get an early peek at features like expanded Unicode support.

The release is identical to developer code seeded on Wednesday. To download the public beta, testers must only be registered with Apple's Beta Software Program for iOS and OS X.

So far the only iOS 9.1 feature available to everyone appears to be support for Unicode 8. This includes a greater range of emoji characters, such as a lion, a taco, and prayer beads.

iOS 9.1 is also believed to be the default install on the iPad Pro, since in August, analytics firm Appsee tracked a device with the operating system that also matched the tablet's resolution. That presumably means that 9.1 will have hooks for bigger screens, the Apple Pencil, and Smart Connector peripherals like the Smart Keyboard.

If so the update should reach all iOS users no later than the Pro's November launch.

Apple has yet to ship the final version of iOS 9, which is only due on Sept. 16. That update will make numerous additions, such as context-sensitive search and Siri functions, and various levels of multitasking for iPads. Only the iPad Pro, Air 2, and Mini 4 will support running two apps simultaneously.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    If you're in the Public Beta you'll go from PB3 of 9.0 to PB1 of 9.1. So far it's pretty stable.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    There is also a small update to Watch OS2 beta on the developers site, to 325c
  • Reply 3 of 10
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Somethings odd here. There were more comments before, and I had added one. Now, there are two before this post. What happened?

Anyway, I just did the update on my iPad Air 2. As noted, this is a public beta to 9.1. But 9.1 is for the Pro, supposedly. So far so good. But Apple likes to keep everyone on the same update. So what's going to happen September 16 when 9.0 officially is out, and can be downloaded? Do I downgrade to the official 9.0, or do I stay with the 9.1 beta?

Imagine that everyone will get the 9.1 update at the same time in November, even though phones and some iPads won't be able to use some of these Pro features.
  • Reply 4 of 10

Updated to iOS 9.1 PB but it's been pretty buggy so far. AirPlay doesn't work at all. Issues with Photos as well when sending in an iMessage.

Can I easily update to 9.0 next Wednesday? What's the procedure? I deleted the beta profile. Is that all I need to do?

Thanks.

• Reply 5 of 10
    So far battery life for me under 9.1 is far better than on 9 beta
  • Reply 6 of 10

So I jumped from the last public release of v8 to the pb 9.1 on my iPhone 6.

So far, so good.

My observations:

++ I already love the "back to..." feature on the top left of the screen. Very, very convenient. And it is another step to making the overall experience more fluent, and less hopping-from-app-to-app-through-app-switcher-like. Just from this I imagine 3D touch to be a major improvement.

+ I like the new search. Much faster opening recently used apps and contacting recent people. Also, the quick news is nice

+ Mail finally seems to fetch new mail regularly again (with 8.4 it sometimes got stuck, and I had to close and reopen mail to get it fetching new mail again, which was kind of a bummer)

o I had no speed issues before and I did not notice any major speed improvements

o same for battery

- touchID sometimes simply refuses to work and I have to use that old-fashioned and clumsy "slide to unlock" ;-)  Really amazing, how fast we get used to such small things that once they do not work, it feels a significant step back, although, slide to unlock inconvenient, seriously?

- missing the new News app. Not available here, in Germany - for how long?

-- I so far hate the new app switcher. I do not care for seeing the whole app at the price of seeing less apps open. I preferred the told way. Much faster, IMO.

Btw.: On the occasion I made the switch to a hard linked backup folder on my Mac, moving them form my SSD to the internal HDD. Should have done this before...

• Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Somethings odd here. There were more comments before, and I had added one. Now, there are two before this post. What happened?

Anyway, I just did the update on my iPad Air 2. As noted, this is a public beta to 9.1. But 9.1 is for the Pro, supposedly. So far so good. But Apple likes to keep everyone on the same update. So what's going to happen September 16 when 9.0 officially is out, and can be downloaded? Do I downgrade to the official 9.0, or do I stay with the 9.1 beta?

Imagine that everyone will get the 9.1 update at the same time in November, even though phones and some iPads won't be able to use some of these Pro features.

You would need to manually restore to 9.0, wiping out everything, and then add apps back from a backup or the app store. Or, you stay at 9.1

• Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor James View Post

Updated to iOS 9.1 PB but it's been pretty buggy so far. AirPlay doesn't work at all. Issues with Photos as well when sending in an iMessage.

Can I easily update to 9.0 next Wednesday? What's the procedure? I deleted the beta profile. Is that all I need to do?

Thanks.

You're going to have to erase  & restore via iTunes.

• Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

If you're in the Public Beta you'll go from PB3 of 9.0 to PB1 of 9.1. So far it's pretty stable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

So I jumped from the last public release of v8 to the pb 9.1 on my iPhone 6.

So far, so good.

... Much faster, IMO.

My friends, we have different definitions of "stable" and "good."

My particular problem was the inability to use it for longer than 3 minutes before it refused to accept taps or keyboard input (no third party keyboards installed.) It was essentially frozen, other than the sleep/wake button working.

• Reply 10 of 10
    vmarks wrote: »
    My friends, we have different definitions of "stable" and "good."

My particular problem was the inability to use it for longer than 3 minutes before it refused to accept taps or keyboard input (no third party keyboards installed.) It was essentially frozen, other than the sleep/wake button working.

I'm curious how the stability in a phone varies so strongly. I'm using it quite a lot during the day. And in contrast to computers there's not so many third party software or peripherals or hardware findings that can have an impact.