Google Nexus event rumored for Sept. 29 with new phones, Android 6.0

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Really the only form of android phone I would buy anymore. My wife has a Galaxy S4 from tmobile that hasn't and probably never will see a lollipop update.

Android phones sold through carriers sure seem to suck big time. No way of 'rooting' that phone and updating it straight from a Google download? (I have no idea how their OS works...)

• Reply 22 of 34
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I wonder if analysts will deem this a failure as Googs won't release numbers.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    jungmark wrote: »

Nexus devices are not meant to be best-sellers, no one is expecting numbers. They were used to set the bar for the industry (less true today), and mainly to be the hardware platform to develop the next android. In fact nexus devices automatically receive updates as soon as released, without carrier intervention and it means several months before all other phones.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Why all the hate?
  • Reply 25 of 34
    ronmg wrote: »
    Rear mounted fingerprint sensors? Who the heck would want that?

Maybe someone that doesn't want to have huge top and bottom bezels on their phone.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Just another brick!
  • Reply 27 of 34
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    in the wall.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if they sold as few as a million of 'em.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    gilsond wrote: »
    Maybe someone that doesn't want to have huge top and bottom bezels on their phone.

Yeh, cause most people choose appearance over substance and functionality all the time.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Decreasing the bezels on iPhone can allow it to either have a smaller footprint with the same size display or have the same footprint with a larger display. That's not sacrificing functionality for appearance.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gilsond View Post

And someone who doesn't want it to work too well... Got that. Those are "special" people all right.

• Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMG View Post

Yeh, cause most people choose appearance over substance and functionality all the time.

Wait, isn't that the reason people buy Apple products to begin with?

• Reply 33 of 34
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    And someone who doesn't want it to work too well... Got that. Those are "special" people all right.

No kidding. I can't imagine a useful fingerprint sensor on the back. Either turning phone around all the time to find it or trying by feel and never getting your finger lined up right. Ugh. Touch ID is so awesome. Don't worry gilsond. Apple will solve the bezel problem next year when they put Touch ID behind the front glass. That combined with force touch will eliminate the home button.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMG View Post

No kidding. I can't imagine a useful fingerprint sensor on the back. Either turning phone around all the time to find it or trying by feel and never getting your finger lined up right. Ugh. Touch ID is so awesome. Don't worry gilsond. Apple will solve the bezel problem next year when they put Touch ID behind the front glass. That combined with force touch will eliminate the home button.

That's what I'm most excited about.  Qualcomm's already started working on a similar solution (as I'm sure Apple has too).