Consumers favor Apple's rose gold iPhone 6s Plus with early preorders, Hong Kong sells out

Comments

• Reply 81 of 115
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

It was all I could do to not pick rose gold...my wife kept giving me look like, "no, you can't pull it off..sorry".

• Reply 82 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I know these are aluminum alloys, but considering the price of copper nowadays, does anyone know if that metal is in fact being mixed-in with the aluminum to produce the rose-gold model?  Just curious.  To me, it is a very nice color... I would consider it when it's time to upgrade my iP6+ in another year.

Until then, bring on the new iMacs... in maybe a rose-gold option?  :)

What do you mean about the price of copper? That it's at a 5-year low? http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/copper.aspx?timeframe=5y

How should it factor into the decision? I am not following your post.

• Reply 83 of 115
    Just want to say, I'm getting tired of the "S" suffix. And numbers for that matter. Just call the next iPhone, "iPhone." Plus is alright I guess. iPhone and iPhone plus. Though I guess for simplicities sake, they'd have to stop selling previous models as new. But still...
  • Reply 84 of 115
    nathanimal wrote: »
    Just want to say, I'm getting tired of the "S" suffix. And numbers for that matter. Just call the next iPhone, "iPhone." Plus is alright I guess. iPhone and iPhone plus. Though I guess for simplicities sake, they'd have to stop selling previous models as new. But still...

That's the key difference between the Mac and and iDevice lines. With the Mac they almost always stop stealing the old models as new which keeps it from being confusing. Sometimes they hold onto some aging Mac in the same lineup, like the MBP with the HDD and ODD, but there are key differences (do they refer to it as Retina MacBook Pro when they did that?).

But I am with you on going with simplicity in naming whenever possible. I assume Apple is, too.
  • Reply 85 of 115
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) :???: No one is going to think that an aluminum device is literally made of a gold and copper alloy.

2) This is what pink anodizing looks like.

But it's an XD...

The Rose Gold does have a pink tinge to it but is not straight out pink. It has the warmth of gold with the rose tinge to it.
  • Reply 86 of 115
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

People, please stop posting characterizations of what "rose gold" looks like if you've not seen the "rose gold" aluminum Apple Watch Sport in person, which is expected to have a color matching the "rose gold" iPhone. The rose gold Watch Edition is an entirely different color (mostly gold with a tinge of rose/pink) from the rose gold Watch Sport, which is decidedly pink (light pink, not a saturated pink). Most guys will not want to be seen toting a pink iPhone, and the rare bird buying a rose gold iPhone to match their rose gold Watch Edition is not going to be completely satisfied either, as the only thing the same about the two colors is their name.

• Reply 87 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

The Rose Gold does have a pink tinge to it but is not straight out pink. It has the warmth of gold with the rose tinge to it.

Of course, you're talking about the color of the rose gold Watch Edition, not the rose gold Watch Sport, which is just pink with no gold.

• Reply 88 of 115
    cpsro wrote: »
    Of course, you're talking about the color of the rose gold Watch Edition, not the rose gold Watch Sport, which is just pink with no gold.

There is no skullduggery or any other deception here. Rose gold is referring to the color gold, not the element. You may not be able to see the difference between pink and rose gold, but many, if not most, people can.

Also, an orange is a both a fruit and a colour. In fact, the colour of an orange was named after the fruit, not the other way around.
  • Reply 89 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What do you mean about the price of copper? That it's at a 5-year low? http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/copper.aspx?timeframe=5y

How should it factor into the decision? I am not following your post.

I didn't think the post was that cryptic.

Given that copper is currently cheap are Apple actually using that metal to provide the colouring, the substance used to actually colour real rose gold, or are they just using some, even cheaper, non-metal colouring.

• Reply 90 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

There is no skullduggery or any other deception here. Rose gold is referring to the color gold, not the element. You may not be able to see the difference between pink and rose gold, but many, if not most, people can. Also, an orange is a both a fruit and a colour.

Skullduggery has nothing to do with it. In person, the colors of the rose gold Watch Edition and Watch Sport look nothing alike. The Edition looks gold with tinge of rose/pink, while the Sport looks just pink (light pink). People who haven't seen them both in person have no solid basis for commenting about their similarity.

Okay, I'll ask the big question: Is Jony colorblind?

• Reply 91 of 115
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member

No I am talking about the sport. Which is the one I saw in the Apple Store. I said it had the warmth of gold. Not that it was gold colored. The metalicness of the rose color gives it a warmth that straight pink does not have. Some parts are polished and some matte and has a totally different feel from what a pure pink would feel like I think.
  • Reply 92 of 115
    Skullduggery has nothing to do with it. In person, the colors of the rose gold Watch Edition and Watch Sport look nothing alike. The Edition looks gold with tinge of rose/pink, while the Sport looks just pink (light pink). People who haven't seen them both in person have no solid basis for commenting about their similarity.

1) Of course they don't look the same, they are different materials, but the colour is clearly categorized correctly as rose gold.

2) Respectively, here are some examples of pink, fuchsia, and salmon colored anodizing Apple has released previously…

400 400 400

Okay, I'll ask the big question: Is Jony colorblind?

You might be.
  • Reply 93 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

No I am talking about the sport. Which is the one I saw in the Apple Store. I said it had the warmth of gold. Not that it was gold colored. The metalicness of the rose color gives it a warmth that straight pink does not have. Some parts are polished and some matte and has a totally different feel from what a pure pink would feel like I think.

The anodized aluminum Sport is matte, whereas the Edition is shiny, but this has little to do with the appearance of their respective colors, which are very different. In person, the "rose gold" Sport is light pink and has almost no warmth--I call it pink; the rose gold Edition is very warm in appearance--I'd call it a reddish shade of gold. On a retina display, Apple's website has the two watch models looking quite similar in color, but IMHO only the Sport edition is rendered anywhere close to accurate (as judged in person).

• Reply 94 of 115
    Quote:

1) Of course they don't look the same, they are different materials, but the colour is clearly categorized correctly as rose gold.

2) Respectively, here are some examples of pink, fuchsia, and salmon colored anodizing Apple has released previously…

You might be.

"What's in a name?" Pink by any other name looks just as feminine.

The color of the "rose gold" Watch Sport looks closest to the iPod on the left.

I'm not colorblind and I write from firsthand experience.

• Reply 95 of 115
    "What's in a name?" Pink by any other name looks just as feminine.

So this is a sexist issue for you? If it looks feminine to you you call it pink? :\
    The color of the "rose gold" Watch Sport looks closest to the iPod on the left.

It looks closest to the rose gold Watch Edition, but that is not to say they are identical. I see no cooperish tinge in the iPod above, and yet in the Watch Sport I saw plenty of it.

Note: I'm not saying that the anodizing has actual copper in it, I'm talking about about the colour.
    I'm not colorblind and I write from firsthand experience.

I don't think you're colorblind but I do hypothesize that you can't perceive certain variances in colours as well as others. These are senses we're talking about. You may be able to taste all the ingredients in wine, while I have no such palette outside of the standard bitter, sweet, sour, and salty.
  • Reply 96 of 115
    Quote:

I agree. It makes sense to have a new "unique to the casing design color," at least with the 'S' model, to help drive sales of this status symbol. I bet a lot of people don't care for gold or rose gold but bought it anyway because it's unique. It will likely hold its original value a little better than the others, too.

Then they hide it under their iPhone case.

• Reply 97 of 115
    solipsismy wrote: »
    That doesn't change anything he said. To me, that's a pink watch. Not that there's anything wrong it, I just don't care for either pink or gold, or bulky and heavy watches that do little more than tell time which makes that even less appealing than the rose gold iPhone 6S.
    Source? I certainly know a lot of people that use cases, but the number is far from 99%, and I also see a great many number of devices without cases. I certainly don't use one.

Pull your proverbial out of your bum. It's an exaggeration to make a point: Show me someone without a case and I show you an idiot complaining their phone is scraped. I dare you to sample 1000 people with a simple Yes/No.

This survey from 2 years ago says average % is 75%.

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/one-in-four-smartphone-owners-dont-use-a-case-to-protect-their-phone-according-to-npd/

I dare say it has only increased significantly. But more importantly is people taking the piss out of a conversation about their color limitations genetically while not addressing what will be the overall result: A phone covered in a case.
  • Reply 98 of 115
    Show me someone without a case and I show you an idiot complaining their phone is scraped.

1) So you're calling me an idiot. Got it.

2) Can you show me where I've complained about scraps?

3) I really don't get comments like yours where you insist because you do something that everyone else should. Why can't you accept there are people that do use cases and people that don't, that aren't "idiots"?
  • Reply 99 of 115
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    Never had a case on my iPhones. Never worried about scratches.

Will have a case on the 6s for the first time - the Apple leather case.
  • Reply 100 of 115
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,419member

Who said that pink is not for men?!?!?