Apple says iPhone 6s launch on track to break record 10M sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52

As an AAPL investor, I'm happy with this news & this morning's stock rise.

But I agree with some comments above about the addition of China this year.  The retail industry talks about "same-store sales".  In the case of iPhone 6s, I'm curious about "same-country sales"; was there actually an increase in demand, or is the the higher aggregate number simply a reflection of adding 3 more countries?  None of us knows (yet).

In the meantime, I'll be happy with the AAPL rise!

• Reply 22 of 52
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What the article above says about "three days of availability" is completely meaningless. All that matters is what Cook specifically said, and what he had in mind when he said it (he obviously has some type of calculation in mind base on pre-orders and subsequent first weekend sales, about which we have no clue). He simply said  that this year's numbers (whatever it is that he was referring to) are better. Period. Either you believe him or not.

No, he said that they WILL BE BETTER. 

The first weekend of sales starts next week Friday, the 25th. 

• Reply 23 of 52
    I'm trying to convince myself that an upgrade is not necessary! I don't care much about more megapixels and 3D Touch... :)
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

No, he said that they WILL BE BETTER. 

The first weekend of sales starts next week Friday, the 25th. 

OK, "Will be." That's what was implied.

Big deal.

• Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

True, but who gives a damn what the media says. I know 3 people at work who are getting this JUST for the improved seflies (better camera and flash). Personally I hate selfies, but I realize that they are important to an awful lot of people.

Also I think the holders out for a new version of the smaller IP5 form factor will give up waiting and just go with the now standard larger sizes.

• Reply 26 of 52

I am not surprised that Apple will break the sales records given that China is a launch country. It is a smart move to make China part of the launch wave and also will decrease the cost for early adopters in China as there will be no "grey market tax". More money for these folks to invest in more Apple products!!

Post launch Twitter just exploded with people gushing over the Rose Gold iPhone and I would suspect that Apple has done their homework and not restricted supply here.

All in all it is a compelling offering for the 4/5S holdouts that are not afraid of a larger iPhone.

• Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:

You're reading too much into it (as al the media and the analysts are) when you have simply no basis to. Apple did not use the word "sell-through" anywhere. You're welcome to speculate, but don't pass it off as what "they" said (I am not sure if you mean Cook or AI).

What the article above says about "three days of availability" is completely meaningless. All that matters is what Cook specifically said, and what he had in mind when he said it (he obviously has some type of calculation in mind base on pre-orders and subsequent first weekend sales, about which we have no clue). He simply said  that this year's numbers (whatever it is that he was referring to) are better. Period. Either you believe him or not.

Whenever Apple mentions sales, they are referring to sell-through. They only consider it a sale when the product has shipped to the customer, so any pre-orders that cannot be fulfilled by the end of the quarter will not be logged as sales in this quarter.

For Apple to beat last year's sales record, they need to 1) make more than they did in the same quarter last year, 2) be able to deliver more than they did last year, and 3) receive enough orders to be able to sell and deliver more than they did last year. Tim probably saw to it that they took care of #1 and #2, but he had to wait to see that customer response was significant enough to cover #3. Adding China and two other countries to the mix no doubt helped guarantee that, but I'm not sure the bottleneck has ever been customer demand for a new iPhone model. They may already have enough pre-orders and available stock to break last year's record, but that will technically only happen (be recorded as sales) when they ship the phones. Since they've basically sold out of all 6s+ models as far as I can tell, Tim could probably already tell you exactly how many of those they would sell (i.e. ship to customers) next weekend, but they still have some 6s stock, so until they sell out of those or the weekend ends (whichever comes first), they won't know the grand total.

• Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

They may already have enough pre-orders and available stock to break last year's record, but that will technically only happen (be recorded as sales) when they ship the phones. Since they've basically sold out of all 6s+ models as far as I can tell, Tim could probably already tell you exactly how many of those they would sell (i.e. ship to customers) next weekend, but they still have some 6s stock, so until they sell out of those or the weekend ends (whichever comes first), they won't know the grand total.

Or, it's possible -- and I think more likely -- that, despite what might remain in stock, Apple has already pre-sold enough 6s models to be confident in Cook's prediction that the actual shipments will be better than last year.

• Reply 28 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    retrogusto wrote: »

Whenever Apple mentions sales, they are referring to sell-through. They only consider it a sale when the product has shipped to the customer

AFAIK it's counted as a sale once it's paid for, or at least payment is assured and possession of the product is transferred. Simply look at how Apple defines a sale took place for confirmation. That would include sales to the carriers.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aircm1982 View Post

It is weird that Apple issued such a statement because they would love to avoid the sale numbers such as Apple TV and Apple Watch. Are they trying to stabilize their stock price since China is dumping US debt ~

Let's see how stock performs today image Good luck Apple !

The didn't give a number did they? Just a verb "topping".

• Reply 31 of 52
    For iPhone 6s, besides faster everything and more RAM and 3D touch and better camera, etc,etc... one thing I like is it covers missing LTE BANDS(12,27,30) so while roaming from one network to other like T-mobile to AT&T; LTE signal stay connected, VOLTE calls won't get dropped..
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:

The bottom line is, these statements are extremely difficult to parse for genuine comparison purposes.

Precisely! ;)  That's probably so they can always look better every year than the prior year.  They don't want the Street analysts saying "Apple is doomed!" because of launch weekend numbers. haha.

• Reply 33 of 52
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    AFAIK it's counted as a sale once it's paid for, or at least payment is assured and possession of the product is transferred. Simply look at how Apple defines a sale took place for confirmation. That would include sales to the carriers.

How does Apple define a sale? Is their a link for that?
  • Reply 34 of 52
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

How does Apple define a sale? Is their a link for that?

Since they use the term in their earnings reports it should be around somewhere.

• Reply 35 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

Since they use the term in their earnings reports it should be around somewhere.
    "The Company recognizes revenue when persuasive evidence of an arrangement exists, delivery has occurred, the sales price is fixed or determinable, and collection is probable. Product is considered delivered to the customer once it has been shipped and title and risk of loss have been transferred. For most of the Company’s product sales, these criteria are met at the time the product is shipped. "
  • Reply 36 of 52
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Wall Street analysts should shut up by now. Blow!
  • Reply 37 of 52
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Too bad Sog35 is serving self ban himself so he cannot comment in here
  • Reply 38 of 52
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Too bad Sog35 is serving self ban himself so he cannot comment in here

He's around. He posted just 6 hours ago.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Well I think this is easily Apple's best "S" series thus far. So many different components have been upgraded over the regular iPhone 6. I'm looking forward to getting mine in the near future!
  • Reply 40 of 52
    freshmaker wrote: »
    You shouldn't have said anything, Tim. Perfect time to buy back a bunch of stock. ;)

I do wonder why Apple even needs investors anymore. They behave like Apple belongs to them. They panic and punish on poor (and unfounded) expectations.