Apple's 'Project Titan' car initiative negatively impacting Tesla's product development, source says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Why even include the artist rendering if it's poor? Apple shouldn't buy tesla. It's overvalued.
  • Reply 22 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think Musk is quite brilliant.

Until he makes a buck, a lot of them... He's not. He's closer to early Jobs than the more pragmatic later Jobs.

• Reply 23 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Until he makes a buck, a lot of them... He's not. He's closer to early Jobs than the more pragmatic later Jobs.

You realize Elon Musk is a billionaire who partially funded the early days of Tesla and SpaceX out of his pocket, right?

• Reply 24 of 110
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I don't want Apple buying Tesla. They can duplicate anything Tesla has done and come up with a better vehicle by starting from scratch. Musk makes stupid decisions with his cars.

Like giving the Model S insane 0-60 acceleration (which is useless in real-world driving) when he could have used less powerful motors. Nobody would have complained if the Model S took 7 seconds to hit 60. The cost savings would have been significant. Cheaper motors, wiring, motor controllers and battery construction (to handle the current of his high output motors all internal connections for batteries would have to be able to withstand an enormous amount of current).

Or those stupid Falcon Wing doors of the Model X.

Musk seems to like to add features that make people go "ooh.....ahh" instead of features that actually improve the automobile.

You have no clue about luxury cars proven by this statement.

Electric cars are not in the luxury category.

Looking for a much needed charging station, then waiting a significant time for enough charge to move on is not luxury !

• Reply 25 of 110

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgz View Post

Acceleration is definitely not "useless" in real-world driving. When changing lanes, merging into high speed traffic, etc., it comes in very handy.

But more than that, this is how Tesla has convinced early adopters to pay for expensive cars that have led to Tesla's popularity, which will eventually lead to them selling more affordable cars (their ultimate goal). 

Those doors are extremely functional: They allow you much easier access to the rear two rows of seats (due to the headroom they provide). And they can fully open in a tight garage. Minivans only provide half that equation with sliding doors.

IT has paid for nothing, except possibly brand awareness, a part of the marketing budget, Tesla's bleeding cash.

By the time they sell that "affordable" cars, they'll be competing with every other car makers in that segment. You think those people are idiots?

Tesla doesn't really offer anything new compared to the competition.

Apple could offer something that others don't by offering a completely integrated cabin environment in a self driving car.

A kind of super limo or train car... for the modern age.

• Reply 26 of 110
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I will say this though, the interior of the Teslas are kind of cheap feeling, compared to other luxury vehicles of similar value. The money in this case, appears to be squarely invested under the hood.

I haven't been able to sit in a Tesla.

The Tesla at our auto show last spring was locked and sitting by itself.

I don't know where the dealer is or if we even have one.

All I know is we order it online then hope we don't need service.

• Reply 27 of 110

Most of you miss the point. Tesla is a tool to what Musks's goals ultimately are, which is is to change the dynamic of electrical vehicles as a viable solution so we move away from fossil fuels. He's largely succeeded. Before the Model S, electric cars were laughed at as big golf carts. He's showing different and proving that false. The over the top performance in some of the models is proof of concept and a way to get the buyers who care about specs to $$ for future investments. He's opened the patents mostly, he WANTS competitors because he wants the game to change. I don't think he sees an Apple electric car as the threat many of you think it should be.  

• Reply 28 of 110
    For all those who think that Elon"s decisions are stupid and would never own a Tesla, could you please step to the right. You are blocking all those people who want to buy a Tesla, put down thousands, years ago, to reserve a Model X, and act religious converts after they buy the vehicle and talk to others about the car.

Before Tesla fixed the problem with a Titanium plate and retrofitted all cars sold to date with the plate, a rock could hit the battery compartment and cause a fire. When a fire happened to one Tesla owner, he was asked if he was upset about the fire. He said, "You bet I am. It will take a month before I get my new Tesla."
  • Reply 29 of 110
    What a lot of people don't understand is that Elon doesn't care if Tesla goes under - as long as it it has sparked a revolution to overthrow ICE cars. In numerous interviews he has stated that he started his involvement with Tesla with the understanding that it more than likely wouldn't work. His main goal is to move humanity forward and a big part if this is breaking our addiction to oil from fragile oil states in the Middle East.

I would much prefer Tesla work in partnership with Apple as I deeply admire both companies, for different reasons.
  • Reply 30 of 110
    wish nothing but the best for tesla. An Apple aquisition may be the best for both companies.
  • Reply 31 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

What a lot of people don't understand is that Elon doesn't care if Tesla goes under - as long as it it has sparked a revolution to overthrow ICE cars. In numerous interviews he has stated that he started his involvement with Tesla with the understanding that it more than likely wouldn't work. His main goal is to move humanity forward and a big part if this is breaking our addiction to oil from fragile oil states in the Middle East.

I would much prefer Tesla work in partnership with Apple as I deeply admire both companies, for different reasons.

Finally someone sees the big picture. 

• Reply 32 of 110
     A lot of the people comment here like the media comments about Apple, looking from the outside without any understanding of what drives the people or the company.

Musk and Tesla need these features in the cars, such as the fast acceleration etc as these cars have to have something that sets them apart, you can't have just an ordinary car that is electric, people won't be impressed by that, you have to show what can really be down and scale down to mass market from there and that is exactly what they are doing.

The fact that Apple are hiring so many engineers from Tesla shows that what they are trying to do is greatly inspired by Tesla and I am sure that is  great news for Musk, not maybe for Tesla as a company but for is overall goal, absoultely.

• Reply 33 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post

You realize Elon Musk is a billionaire who partially funded the early days of Tesla and SpaceX out of his pocket, right?

The poster was talking about Tesla making a buck, not Musk himself.  

Musk has made a ton of money selling startups.  No one is doubting him being rich.  

• Reply 34 of 110
    foggyhill wrote: »
    IT has paid for nothing, except possibly brand awareness, a part of the marketing budget, Tesla's bleeding cash.

By the time they sell that "affordable" cars, they'll be competing with every other car makers in that segment. You think those people are idiots?

Tesla doesn't really offer anything new compared to the competition.

Apple could offer something that others don't by offering a completely integrated cabin environment in a self driving car.
    A kind of super limo or train car... for the modern age.

And you think only Apple can do self driving cars? Mercedes already has a self driving semi truck along with other manufacturers doing the same. And Google is doing as well. It won't matter as self driving cars are still a ways off before they are legitimately on the roads.

josha wrote: »
    I haven't been able to sit in a Tesla.
    The Tesla at our auto show last spring was locked and sitting by itself.
    I don't know where the dealer is or if we even have one.
    All I know is we order it online then hope we don't need service.

You can blame the unions for that. They've blocked Tesla in most states. Apple isn't going to be able to magically change that all of a sudden.
    Most of you miss the point. Tesla is a tool to what Musks's goals ultimately are, which is is to change the dynamic of electrical vehicles as a viable solution so we move away from fossil fuels. He's largely succeeded. Before the Model S, electric cars were laughed at as big golf carts. He's showing different and proving that false. The over the top performance in some of the models is proof of concept and a way to get the buyers who care about specs to $$ for future investments. He's opened the patents mostly, he WANTS competitors because he wants the game to change. I don't think he sees an Apple electric car as the threat many of you think it should be.  

Exactly. Musk even gave out the source code to spur others to make cars.
  • Reply 35 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sorry didn't mean to. That wasn't my intention. Vegans are usually very intelligent, thoughtful people. Prius is a fine car as well. Those are just not the target market for Tesla. Actually I disagree with Consumer Reports about Tesla earning 100 out of 100 points. I have not driven one but riden in them a few times as one of my friends bought one. I like my BMW better.

Oh, I was kidding.... Although I mostly like vegetarian food, there's nothing I like more than an occasional (super well-done, burnt-to-a-crisp.... sorry if I am offending someone!) filet mignon. :D

And really, nothing against a Prius either. It is a wonderful, successful technological achievement on Toyota's part.

Prius drivers, OTOH....

• Reply 36 of 110
    There may be a quid-pro-quo between Tesla and Apple. During lull periods for Tesla employees, they get to work for Apple, when Tesla needs them, they get to come back. Nothing wrong, and a lot right with cross-polination between Apple and Tesla.

This is not a legal activity between to publicly traded companies. It reeks collusion!!
  • Reply 37 of 110
    There may be a quid-pro-quo between Tesla and Apple. During lull periods for Tesla employees, they get to work for Apple, when Tesla needs them, they get to come back. Nothing wrong, and a lot right with cross-polination between Apple and Tesla.

What? This is not remotely how the real world functions.
  • Reply 38 of 110
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

This is not a legal activity between to publicly traded companies. It reeks collusion!!

How would it be collusion?  Colluding to do what?  Make stuff?

• Reply 39 of 110
    The performance of the Tesla gave them tons and tons of press and media coverage they would never have got with a less expensive, more 'reasonable' car. Also they wouldn't be so successful with hollywood stars etc.
  • Reply 40 of 110
    crowley wrote: »
    How would it be collusion?  Colluding to do what?  Make stuff?

Your response is worthy of Samsung! Please do not waste my time!!