Apple Buys Macromedia, SGI, Real and Palm!

jpfjpf
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just for weekend fun, what if Apple spent only $1.8 Billion of their $4.3 Billion cash on buying...

<a href="http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=macr+palm+sgi+rnwk&d=v5"; target="_blank">http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=macr+palm+sgi+rnwk&d=v5</a>;

Macromedia - $400 Million Price Tag

Apple becomes the #1 market leader in interactive marketplace. Kills Windows products.

SGI - $247 Million Price Tag

Apple becomes the #1 market leader in the high-end graphics world. Gains the engineer muscle of NUMA designs and patents.

Real - $604 Million Price Tag

Apple becomes the #1 market leader in streaming video and audio on the net. Morphs all of Real technology into QuickTime. QT becomes the standard.

Palm - $596 Million Price Tag

Apple becomes the #1 Market leader in the PDA market place. Issues a new version of the Apple Palm which is OSX based running Apple Palm OS in emulation on a 600Mhz G3 chip.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Nix Palm. PDA's have reached their plateau. I'm more excited by the marrieage of PDA's to phones.

Real- shudder another overhyped industry(streaming).

SGI- probably good until MS gutted them for patents and IP.

Macromedia- Oops yes they'd be a good purchase. They have their Golden Goose Egg in Flash.

[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: hmurchison ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 17
    jpfjpf Posts: 167member
    So would Macromedia buy worth the $400 million? I think so. Just having all those products, Jezz, they have a ton of stuff to pick and choose from.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    $400 million for a suite of shoddily programmed apps that barely run on MacOS?

Not worth it.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Here we go again...
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Future hardware? Countdown to locked thread ....5...4....3............
  • Reply 6 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by JPF:

Palm - $596 Million Price Tag

Apple becomes the #1 Market leader in the PDA market place. Issues a new version of the Apple Palm which is OSX based running Apple Palm OS in emulation on a 600Mhz G3 chip.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

They would also acquire all BEos technology.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    One of the drawbacks to hostile takeovers is that they have a tendency to force stock prices through the roof. So Apple's 2 billion might be sufficient to buy one or maybe two of these companies, but not all four.

If Apple tried to buy all the issued stock for a company, then the stock prices would skyrocket. This is basic economics, folks.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    Because we don't have a Way Out There Fantasies forum, I'm moving this to General Discussion. Expect it to be closed if it goes the way of the last one...
  • Reply 9 of 17
    jpfjpf Posts: 167member
    SGI and Palm produce hardware guys. I swear, some of you guys don't contribute to discussions.

Apple needs to OWN more than ONE Market. The only market that I see they OWN (or about too) is the MP3 player market. Name another?

Apple wants to be in the SGI space but they don't have the hardware. SGI is dying a slow death. Apple can own the high-end graphics space for less than 5% of their cash reserve.

Apple created the PDA market, now Palm is dying from competition of Windows PC crap. Why wouldn't Apple want to be in the market they created. I don't care what Jobs says, he's always trying to throw you off. Apple once tried to buy Palm from 3Com, so at 10% of their cash, they become market leaders.

Man you guys aren't fun... ;(
  • Reply 10 of 17
    blablablabla Posts: 185member
    None of those seem to be a really hot buy. But those SGI shareholders are probably ready for a buyout, so Apple could grab it for not too much more than the current market cap. Would it be worht it? I dont know..

Why didnt Apple buy Be for $20 million?

As for AAPL market cap vs. cach situation, Apple is probably burning money as we speaks. Apple _will_ report red numbers 2 1/2 months from now, because of lower Akamai/Arm shareprice ( investment loses Apple will have to account for now).

I dont even think they are able to report profit without this special charge..
  • Reply 11 of 17
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    [quote]Originally posted by blabla:

<strong>

Why didnt Apple buy Be for $20 million?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think Gasee' wanted more like $300 million dude!

Palm snagged 'em for like 11 or 13 mill, right?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>

I think Gasee' wanted more like $300 million dude!

Palm snagged 'em for like 11 or 13 mill, right?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know, I was talking about just before Palm bought them. Be's stock had been down the toilet over a period of several months.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Be hasn't been worth 20 million for a while. Plenty of BeOS tech could be added to OSX without shelling out 20 mil
  • Reply 14 of 17
    SGI is dead. No one bothered to tell the corpse, so it still shambles around. Not worth anything, except that patent portfolio, which MS has entangled up quite nicely. Not worth it.

Palm is not dead, but in need of a serious sh:t-or-get-off-the-pot strategy. I think SJ is right that PDA and phones are going to be merged, and I'd bet on cell phone manufacturers incorporating the PDA before PDA's incorporate cellphones, Treo notwithstanding. Not worth it.

Macromedia is interesting, but their software portfolio is so last century. Flash is their only ace, and it would Apple on a collision course with Adobe, a fight which they couldn't win with Mcromedia's products. Not worth it, if only because fighting with Adobe is a bad idea. And the price is to high for just Flash.

Real would be nice, if only to fold it and switch all Real products and customers over to Quicktime and related products. Definitely not worth the price, however. (It's too bad Apple couldn't just buy Real to kill a real pain in the ass for the good of mankind. Sadly, no one but Bill Gates has that kind of power, and he hasn't used it in almost 2 years because of the gov't, not to mention that 'mankind' means 'Microsoft' to him).

ting5
  • Reply 15 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Yet Another Registration:

<strong>SGI is dead. No one bothered to tell the corpse, so it still shambles around. Not worth anything, except that patent portfolio, which MS has entangled up quite nicely. Not worth it.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Lest not forget the fact that SGI is still a 6000 employees big company vs 9600 for Apple.. It would be a rally pain in the ass slimming SGI down.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Macromedia would be a great buy for Apple...(me clinging to hope that someday there will be a SoundEditX).

I'm not to excited about the others, though each could have promise.

Here's some on my list:

Tivo at $125 million.

Sonicblue at $40 million.

nVidia at $1.4 billion (if nVidia can indeed provide killer CPUs)
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Oh also,

Avid at $250 million