iPhone 6 & 6 Plus cases will fit Apple's new iPhone 6s models

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
With only minor tweaks to the design of the iPhone 6, cases designed for last year's handset should properly fit the iPhone 6s series when it launches later this month, meaning upgraders won't need to buy new accessories.

Apple's website notes that both its leather and silicone cases for the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus will also fit the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, respectively. All four handsets are being sold by the company simultaneously, and the official Apple cases are confirmed to fit both the iPhone 6 series and the 6s lineup.
This year's iPhone 6s lineup is slightly thicker and heavier, but not enough to make cases designed for the iPhone 6 obsolete. Cases for last year's phone should fit the iPhone 6s just fine.
Though cases will continue to fit with the latest models, the new iPhone 6s lineup is slightly thicker than the iPhone 6 models.

Specifically, the iPhone 6s Plus is slightly taller, at 6.23 inches in this year's model, compared to 6.22 inches for the iPhone 6 Plus. The new Plus model is also slightly wider, at 3.07 inches, up from 3.06 inches last year.

Both the iPhone 6s and the 6s Plus are also slightly thicker at 0.28-inch and 0.29-inch, respectively. In comparison, last year's iPhone 6 was 0.27-inch thick, while the iPhone 6 Plus was at 0.28-inch

Finally, this year's models are also slightly heavier. The Plus model has seen an increase from 6.07 ounces to 6.77 ounces, while the iPhone 6s weighs in at 5.04 ounces, up from 4.55 ounces for the iPhone 6.

Much of these external changes are believed to be related to a new casing material. Apple's iPhone 6s lineup utilizes 7000 series aluminum, which makes the device more rigid. Apple uses the same aluminum alloy on its Apple Watch Sport.

Given that Apple's cases fit both last year's and this year's models, it's likely that virtually all third-party cases will also fit properly. Case maker Speck indicated as much last week.

As for Apple's own cases, the company greatly expanded the color options for its silicone case lineup. While last year's iPhone 6 cases came in six total colors, this year the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s silicone options now total 11 different colors.

Apple's silicone cases for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s are available in the following shades:
  • White
  • Charcoal Gray
  • Stone
  • Antique White
  • Blue
  • Turquoise
  • Midnight Blue
  • Lavender
  • Pink
  • Orange
  • Product(RED)
The leather cases, meanwhile, come in five colors:
  • Midnight Blue
  • Saddle Brown
  • Rose Gray
  • Brown
  • Black

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I have the Midnight Blue leather case right now, but boy if I'm not tempted to get the Saddle Brown.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I don't believe my iPhone 6 Plus Incipio Stowaway case will fit my iPhone 6S Plus. It's a hard case with no forgiveness for that much taller iPhone 6S Plus.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I don't believe my iPhone 6 Plus Incipio wallet case will fit my iPhone 6S Plus.

Probably going to depend somewhat on the degree of flex in the material. I hold out some hope for my Vaja Agenda. Though TBT now that they've introduced the Flip for the 6 Plus I wouldn't be entirely heartbroken.

ETA: Good/sad news? They're implying from they're listing the "6/6s Plus" cases that they're interchangeable.

http://www.vajacases.com/iphone-6-plus-leather-cases

At an increase of one one hundredth of an inch I can see how some cases will be forgiving, others perhaps not.

• Reply 4 of 17
    The only cases/screen protectors I get are $0.99 Chinese made of eBay. Ridiculous that people pay what the do for Apple-brand cases. They laugh while they sell you a case for $40 and make $39.50 in profit- almost more than the phone itself..
  • Reply 5 of 17

My Apple brown leather case for my iPhone 6+ is nicely broken in after a year of use, so I may decide to keep it for my 6s+ if it fits well enough. I've found it to be of good quality, and it's shown no signs of wear. It'll probably look good on Space Gray with its black face.

• Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

My Apple brown leather case for my iPhone 6+ is nicely broken in after a year of use, so I may decide to keep it for my 6s+ if it fits well enough. I've found it to be of good quality, and it's shown no signs of wear. It'll probably look good on Space Gray with its black face.

I've been very pleased with the Apple leather case on my year-old iPhone 6 as well. It now has accumulated some scrapes on 3 corners and some water stains (the embossed Apple logo on the back is barely visible now), but it has kept my iPhone in like-new condition and is still perfectly functional. As with other high quality leather products, minor scratches and scuffs tend to heal themselves with use. Though Apple calls it "Olive Brown", it looked more like a dark taupe to me when a year ago when it was new. It has now darkened to something that looks much like a Hershey chocolate bar. I see no reason why it won't easily last another year - something I couldn't say for the Apple Bumpers which tended to last only a few months until the rubber started chipping off followed by a complete failure.

• Reply 7 of 17
    The 6S+ being larger is sadder as cases may not fit, it's already defeating a huge 6+, and the battery is not supposed to grow, in fact it's supposed to shrink.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    llamallama Posts: 102member

Life proof must not believe that their 6 series cases will fit the 6S series.  :( Hopefully it won't take as long as it took for the 6 series release - it took 5 months to get the 6 Plus cases...

• Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

The 6S+ being larger is sadder as cases may not fit, it's already defeating a huge 6+, and the battery is not supposed to grow, in fact it's supposed to shrink.

One one hundredth of an inch means not all that much sadness.

• Reply 10 of 17
    dbtwothree wrote: »
    The only cases/screen protectors I get are $0.99 Chinese made of eBay. Ridiculous that people pay what the do for Apple-brand cases. They laugh while they sell you a case for $40 and make $39.50 in profit- almost more than the phone itself..

I used to do the same, until I removed one and discovered all the dust it let in did permanent damage to the phone's finish. oops. the better cases have a better way of handling dust it seems.
  • Reply 11 of 17

I am also worried about having to buy another Spigen Tough Armor since I have one on my iPhone 6. Hope it works on the 6S, but I don't see anything concrete and their website has a whole new line for the 6S.

• Reply 12 of 17
    Test
  • Reply 13 of 17

I'm going from a 6 Plus to a 6s. New accessories it is!

• Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I don't believe my iPhone 6 Plus Incipio Stowaway case will fit my iPhone 6S Plus. It's a hard case with no forgiveness for that much taller iPhone 6S Plus.

Lots of third-party iPhone 6 cases won't fit the 6S.  For example, Otterbox has already announced an updated version of their Defender case that fits the 6S and the original 6, but says that their earlier Defender case for the 6 does not fit the 6S.

• Reply 15 of 17
    While the Apple cases look wonderful, I"m not sure of the level of protection they afford. That's why I went with the Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport, which looks equally wonderful while also protecting the phone.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post

Lots of third-party iPhone 6 cases won't fit the 6S.  For example, Otterbox has already announced an updated version of their Defender case that fits the 6S and the original 6, but says that their earlier Defender case for the 6 does not fit the 6S.

Not totally surprising: Otterbox is one of the scary tight ones. A bit disappointing as I only use mine (Defender) when backpacking. Oh heck maybe I'll just go back to triple ziplock bags.... save some weight anyway and the thing is off in there anyway. (Hey does Touch ID work through three layers of baggie?)

• Reply 17 of 17

i think some of them will perfectly fit for the new iPhone 6s, i have a speck iphone 6 case which fit well with my new iPhone 6s, before buying just read the description.