Tim Cook visits NYC Apple Store, Apple Pay chief Jennifer Bailey to speak at Code/Mobile

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
Apple executives are making the rounds following this month's big iPhone, iPad and Apple TV reveal, with CEO Tim Cook visiting a New York City Apple Store on Monday and Apple Pay head Jennifer Bailey scheduled to attend the upcoming Code/Mobile conference in October.

Cook was spotted at the Fifth Avenue Apple Store with SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue, as seen above in pictures posted to Twitter by BuzzFeed's Mat Honan. Cook is in New York City to tape an episode of CBS's "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert," set to air on Tuesday.

Cook's appearance came on the heels of another large gathering at the SoHo Apple Store, where Kim, Khlo? and Kourtney Kardashian, with sisters Kendall and Kylie Jenner, were on hand to talk mobile apps. The Kardashian clan launched a series of new apps on Monday, one for each reality star, that offers yet another window into their already public lives. Kourtney's app is slated to debut in the near future.

Apple is also looking to promote its Apple Pay payment services arm, with vice president Jennifer Bailey slated to take part in Re/code's upcoming Code/Mobile conference. This year's event, which runs from Oct. 7 through Oct. 8, focuses on mobile payments and the proliferation of smartphone technology in industries like automotive.

Bailey notably took point at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference when she announced Apple Pay support for the UK, the first international market to be granted access to Apple's service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I like (so far) the new, more media-friendly Apple. They need to get out there and talk about who they are, why they do what they do, and how much doing well by the customer matters to them.

As Apple fans and aficionados in a forum like this, we take these things for granted. But most of the world has no clue, often seeing Apple as nothing more than another mega-corp.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Another Kardashian app? I'm wishing the App Store approvers find a way to remove this drivel.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I like (so far) the new, more media-friendly Apple. They need to get out there and talk about who they are, why they do what they do, and how much doing well by the customer matters to them.

As Apple fans and aficionados in a forum like this, we take these things for granted. But most of the world has no clue, often seeing Apple as nothing more than another mega-corp.

Agreed. Though I would like to see them weave a more compelling narrative. I think often times Apple pundits on blogs and podcasts do a better job of this than Apple does. Take this last Apple event. Tim Cook was hardly onstage at all. They just jumped right into announcing products. All very compelling products but where was the over arching narrative about why these are compelling products and why Apple built them? Some might say it's self evident and completely obvious. But I would still like Tim to take more time putting context around everything being announced. Same with the Watch announcement last year. We got the 'what' but not so much the 'why'. And when I'm talking about context I'm not referring to Tim's typical "Only Apple..." spiel. It's more than that. The most we got last week was Cook saying the iPad was the future of computing. OK, how about expanding on that? How about expanding on the purpose of the new MacBook vs the iPad Pro? Is Apple's vision making iOS powerful enough to eventually replace OS X for all but serious power users? Or do they expect people will own an iPad Pro and a Mac? I'd love to hear the overarching vision from Cook, not people like Ben Thompson or Ben Bajarin trying to guess where Apple is going.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    To go along with what I wrote above, this is a great piece from Ben Thompson on Apple needing to evolve from products to platforms.

https://stratechery.com/2015/from-products-to-platforms/

I've said before that Tim Cook should hire a SVP to oversee all backend cloud services. I would argue that he should also hire an SVP or VP of platforms reporting directly to him. We've got OS X, iOS and now watchOS and tvOS. I would love to see someone in a role that had broad oversight over all four platforms. Let them handle developer relations and App Store review. Let them be the outside face to the developer community. Let them have the power to implement business model changes if necessary to keep the platforms the #1 place developers want to develop for and it can be a sustainable business. This isn't like the 80s and 90s when Apple was beholden to Microsoft and Adobe. I think the success of the iPad Pro will be determined by the high quality professional software developed for it. Apple has the advantage with what I believe is the future - touch computing. Don't let Microsoft catch up.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I've just thrown up in my mouth a little bit.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Duplicated Deleted.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Somebody needs to ask Ms. Bailey why the ?Pay roll out is so slow. Only available for residents in two countries and, even then, in the US there are still an incredible number of smaller banks and CUs that have yet to conclude an agreement.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    bobschlob wrote: »
    I've just thrown up in my mouth a little bit.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, Bon apetit!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    jungmark wrote: »
    Another Kardashian app? I'm wishing the App Store approvers find a way to remove this drivel.

Sure, everything about the Kardashians reeks like a horse that's been beaten to death, but for some reason there are people that buy into their horrendous fantasy world. Hey, it's still money in Apple's pocket and there's no accounting for taste.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    jungmark wrote: »

Either you have curation or you don't. And if Apple did curate, which I would personally support, people would go nuts and accuse them of fascist censorship. And one more piece of junk isn't going to make a difference.
  • Reply 11 of 15

Damn! They'll stop at nothing to make sure everyone is keeping up with the Kardashians. 

To paraphrase Kyle Reese - "Listen, and understand! Those Kardashians are out there! They can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until they are dead."

• Reply 12 of 15
    Somebody needs to ask Ms. Bailey why the ?Pay roll out is so slow. Only available for residents in two countries and, even then, in the US there are still an incredible number of smaller banks and CUs that have yet to conclude an agreement.

slow? one of those only two countries happens to be the worlds largest economy. oh yeah.

as for banks signing up, you're asking the wrong party. all they have to do is sign on the dotted line.
  • Reply 13 of 15

Don't care about Tim, just another bean counter.  I was on line at the 1st iPhone launch in the 5th Ave store and the real Steve did drop by and I'm still pissed that I never made an attempt to greet him and that was my only chance ever.

• Reply 14 of 15
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    slow? one of those only two countries happens to be the worlds largest economy. oh yeah.

as for banks signing up, you're asking the wrong party. all they have to do is sign on the dotted line.

Largest economy, so what? It's been almost a year now and only a single country outside of the US has been brought on line. There are countries with other high GDP, ppp and sizable populations that should have been brought on line already.

My guess is that the banks in these regions/countries are blocking the Apple Pay initiative. I would like to hear ms. Bailey say that users should put pressure on their banks to sign up and their retailers to equip themselves with NFC readers.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Damn! They'll stop at nothing to make sure everyone is keeping up with the Kardashians. 

To paraphrase Kyle Reese - "Listen, and understand! Those Kardashians are out there! They can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until they are dead."
    Nukem them from orbit.
    It's the only way to be sure