Burberry launches Apple Music channel in first collaboration since Angela Ahrendts hire

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2015
UK fashion house Burberry on Monday announced a new streaming channel for Apple Music, marking the companies' first official product collaboration since Apple hired former CEO Angela Ahrendts to head its retail arm.

Launched today, Burberry's Apple Music channel features content from the firm's Burberry Acoustic initiative, a program that highlights up and coming artists, reports The New York Times. The project has so far yielded about 100 performances.

To introduce the new channel, Burberry plans to incorporate exclusive video footage of British artists to be recorded at this year's Womenswear show scheduled for Sept. 21 in London. Burberry is expected to host the video content, as well as playlists, individual tracks and more, through Connect, allowing subscribers to share clips via social media and messaging.

Apple previously worked with Burberry in 2013 when it supplied the fashion house with then-unreleased iPhone 5s hardware to document the Prorsum Womenswear S/S14 show. For Apple, the collaboration was an opportunity to promote iPhone's image capture capabilities and drum up interest ahead of launch.

Shortly after the runway event, Apple announced the hire of Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts, a fashion industry heavyweight who took the spot of ousted retail chief John Browett. Ahrendts has reportedly played a crucial role in creating a more luxurious Apple Store experience. For visitors, that means accessories hidden behind bespoke wooden cabinetry, slick device displays and "premium" packaging for third-party products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18

"Jeeves, please turn on the Burberry channel while you drive me to the Billionaire's Club, and I don't want to be disrupted while listening. Now pass me the Grey Poupon to put on my duck."

• Reply 2 of 18
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So basically this is a playlist from Burberry on Apple music. Why is it being called a channel?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

But where's the Burberry ?Watch that streams the Burberry Channel by default?

• Reply 4 of 18

I was rather confused by this article. It says this "channel" has been launched, but then the article says:

Quote:
     Burberry’s Apple Music channel will kick off with exclusive videos from emerging British artists that will be filmed at the Burberry Womenswear show. The show is scheduled to take place Sept. 21 in London.

Once Burberry takes those performances to Apple Music, subscribers can comment on and share the content using Facebook, Twitter, email and Apple’s Messages tool.

So the this channel is not yet live? I can't find it on Apple Music, at least here in Canada. Is it restricted to certain regions?

Apple Music sure is confusing to navigate...

• Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

"Jeeves, please turn on the Burberry channel while you drive me to the Billionaire's Club, and I don't want to be disrupted while listening. Now pass me the Grey Poupon to put on my duck."

Really, billionaires?

Man, I'm just shooting for 10M (getting closer, should get there by retirement in a few years) and I wear Burberry sometimes. didn't know I was out of my league....

Grey Poupon is like an 1980s affection of nouveau riche; is you Billionaire stuck in the past?

• Reply 6 of 18

"marking the companies' first" should be "marking the company's first"

C'mon, remember English class?

• Reply 7 of 18
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

But where's the Burberry ?Watch that streams the Burberry Channel by default?

It will come.

• Reply 8 of 18
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »

With all due respect, you should never put Grey Poupon on duck.
  • Reply 9 of 18

Huh? This is about as exciting as a "Procter & Gamble Streaming Music Channel." 

• Reply 10 of 18
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    With all due respect, you should never put Grey Poupon on duck.
    Very true. It is the duck who puts grey poop-on you!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It's called foie gras. Only cheap-ass Linux & Costco fans call it duck. /s

• Reply 12 of 18
    I thought the Burberry brand had been hijacked by chavs and was therefore no longer considered high fashion; quite the contrary in fact. This could be a uniquely British phenomenon however...

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/62803/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 13 of 18

The whiners are hitting it hard these days. 

Burberry has a very clear artistic direction. I've listened to the music they promote on their shows and their Youtube channel for years and they always showcase very good indie/ less well known British band. There's no reason to get up in arms about it. There's more content and curation which is exactly what Apple wants for Apple music users. 

Reading some of these comments and the ones on Macrumors makes me realise thank the fucking God Tim Cook does not give a flying **** about these old school elitist Mac users who complain about everything everyday. Never in Apple's history have they had a stronger product portfolio and yet all they can talk about is a freaking playlist by a company. GET OVER YOURSELF. 

• Reply 14 of 18

Obviously, since Angela Ahrendts was CEO of Burberry before Apple hired her away, she may have played a strong role in attracting Burberry to the Apple fold.

• Reply 16 of 18
    coolfactor wrote: »
    I was rather confused by this article. It says this "channel" has been launched, but then the article says:

So the this channel is not yet live? I can't find it on Apple Music, at least here in Canada. Is it restricted to certain regions?

Apple Music sure is confusing to navigate...

It will launch on Monday. Not sure where this article get the "launch today" meme.
  • Reply 17 of 18

It's called foie gras. Only cheap-ass Linux & Costco fans call it duck. /s

FYI, foie gras ? duck

#justsayin
  • Reply 18 of 18
    matrix07 wrote: »
    It will launch on Monday. Not sure where this article get the "launch today" meme.

Actually it's live now. I just searched and found it.