Apple's 3D Touch displays make iPhone 6s, 6s Plus almost 11% heavier than previous models

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34

I will be 11% less happy when my new iPhone arrives....  not. 

• Reply 22 of 34
    Yeah, it's gonna be like Thor's hammer trying to lift that thing! My poor arms.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Since I'm going from a 6 Plus to a 6s, I probably won't notice at all. If anything it will feel lighter.

• Reply 24 of 34
    Throw in an extra 13g of battery and we would get 50% more usage out of our iPhones
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I have a metal credit card, which I mostly use for restaurant purchases for the points. It's amazing how absentminded people I hand it to to run through their PoS system who immediately comment on the weight of the card even though it's probably only a couple grams different from a plastic card.

And doubtless, your credit card issuer designed your metal card to be noticed/distinctive in as many ways as possible, with the intent to stand out.

• Reply 26 of 34
    I am enjoying the myopic view from the "but but but obsession with thinness and weight" crowd. What they take for granted is that Apple's obsession with pushing the envelope with respect to optimizing power draw, weight, and size, had given Apple the raw engineering talent to make future low power devices possible in form factors like the Apple Watch, where thin and light are clearly desirable. Not to mention making the iPad Pro only 0.03 pounds heavier than the original iPad from just 5 years ago, while keeping the same 10-hour battery life despite driving more pixels than a 15" MacBook Pro Retina. Some of you take miniaturization for granted, assuming it's a "natural progression" of technology, but Apple has worked really hard, and set really tough optimization targets for itself to get there. You telling Apple how it should engineer its products is like a Forumla One racing fan thinking he can tell Ferrari how to build winning racing engines from his couch. You may have an Internet connection, but that doesn't mean you're an expert.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I thought it should have been pretty obvious. These alloys are all almost exactly the same weight.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    larrya wrote: »
    Do people often remember the first time they felt you? ????

I will ask. ????
  • Reply 29 of 34

I still remember the first time I held an iPhone 5 - it was so light I thought I was holding a dummy display. You could one hand that for hours and barely feel it.

The 6 did get heavier, but obviously that tradeoff was worth it for the larger screen. Even the 6 Plus was fine, though honestly at the limit of what you could hold one handed for any period of time.

The 6S is probably still fine but I'm not so sure about the 6S Plus. It was already pretty heavy to use one-handed for a while and from what I see, the weight is close to those ridiculous 6" Android phones. Two-handed probably isn't much of an issue, but I don't think you're going to be one-handing it for any serious amount of time. 

• Reply 30 of 34
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kevliu1980 View Post

I still remember the first time I held an iPhone 5 - it was so light I thought I was holding a dummy display. You could one hand that for hours and barely feel it.

The 6 did get heavier, but obviously that tradeoff was worth it for the larger screen. Even the 6 Plus was fine, though honestly at the limit of what you could hold one handed for any period of time.

The 6S is probably still fine but I'm not so sure about the 6S Plus. It was already pretty heavy to use one-handed for a while and from what I see, the weight is close to those ridiculous 6" Android phones. Two-handed probably isn't much of an issue, but I don't think you're going to be one-handing it for any serious amount of time. 

I loved the heft of the 4/4s. A few of my friends still have them and I still marvel at how gorgeous they are. I think the build quality was a hair better in some ways. The 6 is gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but I'm kind of happy about the 6s getting heavier! it will probably be my next phone, though, a few years from now when my 5 just wont cut it anymore :smokey: poor dude life! I'd agree about the enormity of the 6/6s+ although I do have a 6'6" friend in who's hand the 6+ looks perfectly normal. It looks like an iPad Mini in my hands though! I could live with the 6 but not the 6+, no way. 

• Reply 31 of 34
    An 11% increase for several extra hours of battery life would be a great tradeoff. I don't see any benefit in the 3D touch but maybe that will change when I play with one. Seems like you could do the same thing with a longer button push instead of a harder one without needed.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    username1 wrote: »
    An 11% increase for several extra hours of battery life would be a great tradeoff. I don't see any benefit in the 3D touch but maybe that will change when I play with one. Seems like you could do the same thing with a longer button push instead of a harder one without needed.

And I'll be curious to see how the timing works with the long tap to delete apps. I'm sure Apple has figured it out though.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    username1 wrote: »
    Seems like you could do the same thing with a longer button push instead of a harder one without needed.

Long-press is already too long to be a fast action, and you want to increase that timeframe even more?