iOS users may eventually be able to remove unwanted default apps, says Apple's Tim Cook

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Apple is looking at allowing iOS users to delete some preloaded apps, though others will probably have to remain, according to CEO Tim Cook.

"This is a more complex issue than it first appears," he said in a BuzzFeed interview on the way to the Fifth Avenue Apple Store in New York City on Wednesday. Cook made an appearance alongside SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue.

"There are some apps that are linked to something else on the iPhone," Cook continued. "If they were to be removed they might cause issues elsewhere on the phone. There are other apps that aren't like that. So over time, I think with the ones that aren't like that, we'll figure out a way," he said.

The executive added that the company is actively considering the problem, but didn't offer a timeline.

iOS has gradually accumulated a large number of default apps. Some such as Maps, Weather, and Safari are widely used, but others -- like Tips, Stocks, Newsstand, and Apple Watch -- are not always helpful and can take up storage and homescreen space. The homescreen problem is often solved by dumping apps into a single folder.

Apple is unlikely to fix the broader issue until sometime in 2016. iOS 9 is due to launch on Wednesday, and while 9.1 may be ready by November, there has be no sign of improved app deletion in current betas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 110
    Just hide them on a different screen if they're really that bothersome. Some people... ????
  • Reply 2 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just hide them on a different screen if they're really that bothersome. Some people... ????

I think we all do that. I can understand people wanting to remove them to save space, but at least let us hide them in the freaking launcher. 

• Reply 3 of 110
    It's ridiculous that this hasn't happened as of yet. Pull your collective finger out
  • Reply 4 of 110
    For me, hiding them all in a folder just seems messy, like a pile of crap in the corner of an otherwise clean room. However, at least they aren't adware or horrible apps like on a lot of Android phones, and I like that Cook is willing to admit they are an issue.
  • Reply 5 of 110
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shev View Post

It's ridiculous that this hasn't happened as of yet. Pull your collective finger out

Its ridiculous that anyone thinks this needs to happen at all.

• Reply 6 of 110
    How generous of him. Of the 30 stock apps that come with the iPhone 15 I don't use or care to. Apple Watch? I am not now or in the foreseeable future getting a Watch so this app is useless. Game Center, Health, Newsstand, Passbook, iBooks, Notes, Reminders, Stocks, Podcasts, Tips - same thing, all useless to me and ones I wish I could delete.

To those who say "Just move them to a folder." it's a nice idea but that doesn't solve the issue that they still remain on your phone taking up space and memory.

I want them gone. Permanently.
  • Reply 7 of 110
    If people are really that picky, then they need to get something else to do. For one, I try and use all those apps. The tips app is really nice, it has taught me stuff. The AppleWatch app is nice too, if you don't like it, maybe you should get an AppleWatch and actually use it! It's not a big deal people. If you're truly that picky, get a life and focus on something other than a piece of software.... Maybe family? Friends?
  • Reply 8 of 110
    How generous of him. Of the 30 stock apps that come with the iPhone 15 I don't use or care to. Apple Watch? I am not now or in the foreseeable future getting a Watch so this app is useless. Game Center, Health, Newsstand, Passbook, iBooks, Notes, Reminders, Stocks, Podcasts, Tips - same thing, all useless to me and ones I wish I could delete.

To those who say "Just move them to a folder." it's a nice idea but that doesn't solve the issue that they still remain on your phone taking up space and memory.

If you're a cheapskate, maybe the iPhone isn't for you.
  • Reply 9 of 110

Epitome of first world problems.

• Reply 10 of 110

Bout damn time. I like to remove apps I don't use or need. They just take up precious space I could be using for other apps and media.

• Reply 11 of 110

We should just be thankful our iPhone's don't come preloaded with all the useless phone carrier apps that come on Android phones.

• Reply 11 of 110
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

You're an idiot.

• Reply 13 of 110
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

I've long used the folder idea to stack low used and unused apps. Don't recall seeing a list of their sizes but that would make choices easier I suppose.

ETA: Some (most) sizes appear under Settings..general..usage.... manage storage, but not Tips etc.

• Reply 14 of 110
    If you're a cheapskate, maybe the iPhone isn't for you.
    Please explain how this has anything to do with being "cheap".
  • Reply 15 of 110
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Do you have a number for how much space they take up? I've long been curious but haven't ever seen an actual number.

• Reply 16 of 110
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

This will be quite welcome. I'd much rather be able to delete (or at least hide) some default apps like Newsstand, Stocks, Weather, Voice Memos, Podcasts, Apple Watch and Tips, than keep them locked up in a folder. But eh, it's hardly urgent.

• Reply 17 of 110
    Please explain how this has anything to do with being "cheap".

Get a phone with more memory if that's your main concern.
  • Reply 18 of 110

If they're taking up memory, buy a phone with more memory. Goodness, you make a big deal over NOTHING. Why worry about the amount of Apps you have on your phone? Sure, phones are good, but it's better spending time with people IN PERSON and not constantly being on our phones.
  • Reply 19 of 110

It'd be nice if they at least made the option available to hide them, like on the Apple TV. I'm not too worried about memory issues, just clutter on my home screen. Just a slider switch menu to hide apps I don't want to see would be good enough me.

• Reply 20 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Talk about first world problems. Sheesh. The question Buzzfeed should have asked Cook is when we'll be able to set default apps and when Siri and NFC will be opened up to 3rd party developers.