New iPhone Upgrade Program seen driving upgrades, giving Apple more control of customer relationship

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 55

    Subject to eligeability means lots of folks will get turned down due to bad credit or no credit.

  • Reply 42 of 55
    Does anyone know if I can do the Apple Upgrade Program if I'm half way through a 2 year contract? Since the iPhone would be unlocked it shouldn't matter right?
  • Reply 43 of 55
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,460member

    Quote:


    Originally Posted by rokonrae View Post



    Does anyone know if I can do the Apple Upgrade Program if I%u2019m half way through a 2 year contract? Since the iPhone would be unlocked it shouldn't matter right?

     

    Your are still financially on the hook for the 2nd year of your existing contract.  Guess you could add a second line and move the existing phone to that.  Carrier will charge fees I am sure.

  • Reply 44 of 55
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

     



    Except that this is an American-only deal underwritten by an American bank ... not a possibility in emerging markets.


     

    Apple could open a financial services arm to do it itself.

    I expect that'S what they'll do eventually.

  • Reply 45 of 55

    If you're in the middle of your 2 year, as I understand it, you can buy the new phone through Apple. Bring the 6s to AT&T, they will transfer your service and number to the 6s and leave you with 6 sans service. You can't get the $15/$25 discount on your bill because you are still under contract for one more year with AT&T. But you can give the 6 to someone else or sell it anywhere you want because you own it. I don't know if Apple will buy it from you at the point of sale or if they'll give you a fair market price (probably not). Regardless, after the year is up, you can repeat the sale with Apple to get the iPhone 7 and then you'll start paying $15/$25 less to AT&T (out of that $40 smartphone fee) or you can jump ship to another provider at that time.

     

    *All told to me by AT&T store employee. This is what I'm doing. Is it 9/25 yet?

  • Reply 46 of 55
    portcity wrote: »
    One good thing about the carriers iPhone plans is that they do not require your credit to be pulled in order to get an installment plan. With Apple you get the installment plan but your credit score will go down some.

    My sentiments exactly. However, I do feel this is a good move by Apple and I'll definitely consider it more so next time I upgrade say for the iPhone 7????
  • Reply 47 of 55

    Hey guys,

     

    Forgive me for asking and even bringing up this factor that I feel should be addressed.  My iPhone 6 Plus is my 2nd smartphone; and I wanted to know what would be the total price would be when we include the price of the carrier's SIM Card.  Verizon's 4G SIM Activation Kit is $45.00 per month with 1GB.  In the case that I upgrade to a 128GB iPhone 6S Plus, my monthly bill would be $44.91 with the Apple iPhone upgrade plan, $45 for the 4G SIM with 1GB per month (I don't know for more data, I guess we with their bucket plan pricing for more) + $20.00 per month for an active line plus the data plan.  Fill me in with more data and correct me where I'm wrong, because as I go on the other 3 of the Big 4 websites to see what the monthly price would be for their SIM Card, they are not really clear.  It seems that we just have to spend some time at 1 of their retail stores to get this information.  Thanks in advance for the help and feedback everyone!

  • Reply 48 of 55
    gordygordy Posts: 979member
    Yes. That's all you need to do. But use the sim card not a car. Your phone will thank you ?
    While reserving my phone, I saw a note about "carrier activation." I'll see if it's as simple as switching my SIM card...I hope so.
    vision33r wrote: »
    Subject to eligeability <span style="line-height:1.4em;">means lots of folks will get turned down due to bad credit or no credit.</span>
    Hahahaha welcome to adulthood.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    gordy wrote: »
    While reserving my phone, I saw a note about "carrier activation." I'll see if it's as simple as switching my SIM card...I hope so.
    Hahahaha welcome to adulthood.
    For me carrier activation has just been waiting for a txt message. Usually about 2 minutes after inserting a simple card into the phone. Also costing nothing ?
  • Reply 50 of 55
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,982member
    Samsung to copy this in 3,2,1...
    (That's when you know it's a good idea.)

    Remember back when we could only buy our phones through carriers? The groundwork for this new upgrade program was laid down years before, since the start of the iPhone.

    Edit: Hit Submit too fast...
    at Brick-and-motar stores only...oops, Samsung got none. Btw, android owners are cheap, so the won't upgrade every year.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,982member
    elehcdn wrote: »

    Except that this is an American-only deal underwritten by an American bank ... not a possibility in emerging markets.
    there're 55% android market share in US. Well let see, US iPhone sale equal the rest of the world.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

     

     

    Apple could open a financial services arm to do it itself.

    I expect that'S what they'll do eventually.




    But Apple has shown no interest in opening a financial services arm ... that is why they partnered in the U.S. where it would be easiest to setup.

  • Reply 53 of 55
    I've been in the Wireless industry for 20 years. The fact that Apple is trying to take market share from all of the carriers that provide the network for your phones to work is crazy. First off Apple is charging more for your phone then you would pay at a carrier store or indirect agent. They are building in Apple care which is a joke for phone protection. Doesn't cover Lost or Stolen phones and unless you get Apple care it will not cover water damage either. Even then you will have to pay a deductible which your carriers insurance "Asurion" covers everything with a deductable. Currently the iPhone 6s 64gb at Verizon is running 749.00 not $877.72 which is what this plan would cost you. Also if you take out your Carrier and the indirect agents that sell and support Apple products you will also lose face to face support on your device accept at an Apple store. We have 1 Apple store in our City of 500,000 people. Apple's greed will get the best of them and your local customer service will go in the toilet. Mark my words.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wirelessman View Post



    I've been in the Wireless industry for 20 years. The fact that Apple is trying to take market share from all of the carriers that provide the network for your phones to work is crazy. First off Apple is charging more for your phone then you would pay at a carrier store or indirect agent. They are building in Apple care which is a joke for phone protection. Doesn't cover Lost or Stolen phones and unless you get Apple care it will not cover water damage either. Even then you will have to pay a deductible which your carriers insurance "Asurion" covers everything with a deductable. Currently the iPhone 6s 64gb at Verizon is running 749.00 not $877.72 which is what this plan would cost you. Also if you take out your Carrier and the indirect agents that sell and support Apple products you will also lose face to face support on your device accept at an Apple store. We have 1 Apple store in our City of 500,000 people. Apple's greed will get the best of them and your local customer service will go in the toilet. Mark my words.



    Quite a rant there.  You are clearly quite agitated to sign up just to post that.

     

    You make some interesting points re: price, but it is necessary to point out:

    - if Apple's pricing is higher than the carrier's, how is Apple's plan an aggressive attempt to take market share from them?

    - Apple's pricing does include Apple Care, so I don't think you are comparing "Apples to Apples" there.

    - What is wrong with Apple providing their own financing plan for their own products?  Carriers were the ones that wanted to get out of the "subsidy" game (although some have figured they had to do this type of financing) - so this is a response from Apple that if the carrier's don't want to manage that, they will.

    - Not sure why you think that if you buy a phone from Apple using the subsidy plan, that you will not be able to take such a phone to an authorized Apple repair provider for service.

     

    "Apple's greed" - for offering zero % financing on their own products ?  I think you need to get some perspective

Sign In or Register to comment.