Former Stanford professor makes $1.7M as Apple University faculty, court filings reveal

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
Fallout related to a civil suit against the dean of Stanford's Graduate School of Business this week reveals former professor James Phills was hired away by Apple University in 2012, where he earns more than $1.7 million per year as a full time faculty member.

In the suit, Phills claims Stanford Dean Garth Saloner fostered a hostile work environment by allegedly having an affair with his former wife, who also works at the business school, reports the Silicon Valley Business Journal.

According to Poets & Quants, a publication focusing on business schools, court filings show Phills went on unpaid leave in May 2012 to pursue a job at Apple University. Stanford found no merit in Phills' claims against Saloner and subsequently demanded he return to teaching duties in 2014, but the professor declined.

Divorce filings show Phills brought in around $769,000 when he first started at Apple, a huge increase over his salary at Stanford. Exact figures were not divulged, but when they were together, Phills and his wife earned a combined annual income that topped out at $593,000. Phills' salary at Apple grew to $1.2 million in 2013 and last year reached $1.7 million.

Following the Apple University trail on LinkedIn, the Silicon Valley Business Journal found a few new faculty members including former head of iTunes marketing Chris Bell, former senior organizational development consultant Mike Asercion and former senior human resources director Tami Rosen.

Headed by Joel Podolny, former dean of Yale University's School of Management, Apple University was established under the guidance of Steve Jobs in 2008 as a comprehensive program to instill "Apple culture" into its students. Faculty members come from the tech industry, academia and beyond, with some poached away from storied institutions like Yale, Harvard, the UC Berkeley and M.I.T.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    I'm pretty sure that would include stock options, not "salary"

But confirming this very basic detail goes beyond the capabilities here
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I can't understand those salary numbers. for a professor? those must be magnitudes higher than normal IT software salaries at Apple, right?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hmm...I have a hard time believing a "professor" at Apple earns a higher salary than Cook or other members of the executive team. No way,
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Garth Saloner fostered a hostile work environment by allegedly having an affair with his former wife, who also works at the business school

Party on Garth. Damn, it's like an episode of Boss.

• Reply 5 of 11

Yeah I do not think those are salary numbers either...it looks like total income reported on IRS tax returns to me.  However, that still looks astronomical based on what his actual "salary" should be (probably under $250K/yr even at Apple).

• Reply 6 of 11
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Quote:

Garth Saloner fostered a hostile work environment by allegedly having an affair with his former wife, who also works at the business school 

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

Party on Garth. Damn, it's like an episode of Boss.

Kinda makes sense. She teaches "organizational behavior" and went above and beyond in demonstrating that at Apple it's not the customer who gets f...

• Reply 7 of 11
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Clearly I chose the wrong discipline when I went into academia.

• Reply 8 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I really don't get the suing mentality these days. If your wife is unfaithful you really should be happy to get rid of her if you expected fidelity. Expecting fidelity these days does seem to be a bit much though.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Tim Cook - Jim Phills stole private communication from his wife and the dean of the Stanford business school. How can you keep an executive - who you pay $1.7M a year no less - who hacks into other people's email and Facebook accounts? The real story is that Jim Phills is a hacker and works at Apple, a company that supposedly cares about cyber security.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by apple fan View Post

Tim Cook - Jim Phills stole private communication from his wife and the dean of the Stanford business school. How can you keep an executive - who you pay $1.7M a year no less - who hacks into other people's email and Facebook accounts? The real story is that Jim Phills is a hacker and works at Apple, a company that supposedly cares about cyber security.

You joined just to post this?  Proof please...

• Reply 11 of 11
    icoco3 wrote: »
    You joined just to post this?  Proof please...

Even more weird is that he posted it hear instead of sending Cook a direct email or doing pretty much anything else.