Developers receive first Apple TV dev kits, promptly post pictures online

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2015
Apple made good on a promise to ship out Apple TV development kits to select developers this week, as some who were selected to take part in the early access program received their kits on Tuesday.

Source: Caleb Thorson via Twitter.

Developer Caleb Thorson posted a picture of his Apple TV dev kit to Twitter in what is expected to be the first of many unboxings, first looks and comprehensive rundowns of Apple's next-generation streamer. An unboxing video somehow hit the Web last Wednesday, just hours after Apple announced the device onstage at Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco.

Apple only yesterday informed developers selected to take part in the early Apple TV access program that their units would begin shipping later this week. The dev kits are being parceled out to facilitate quick turnaround on Apple TV apps ahead of the set-top box's public launch in October.

The chosen few were charged a $1 fee for the opportunity.

Introduced at Apple's special event last week, the new Apple TV sports runs a specialized operating system called tvOS that features a dedicated App Store, streamlined user interface and advanced search functions. With a powerful A8 SoC and included touchpad Siri Remote, the diminutive black box also integrates voice control. The remote boasts motion sensors for gaming and intuitive control over third-party apps.

Apple's fourth-generation Apple TV launches sometime in October with a starting price of $149 for an entry-level 32GB model, while a 64GB variant will cost $199.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    This might be a really stupid question so forgive me if it is:

Will there be demo units in Apple Stores to try out? Or maybe at a retailer like Best Buy?

I find myself more on the fence about getting one, where previously I wasn't so sure. I'd really like to play with it first before spending $200.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Make us proud.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Make us proud.

I wonder what game developers think of Apple's reversal regarding game controllers? The new requirement is every game must support Apple's remote. No games will be allowed that require a third-party controller. It kind of makes me wonder why Apple didn't just design it's on game controller? I have a hard time seeing people play console quality games with the Apple remote.

http://tinyurl.com/opmkoak
  • Reply 4 of 30
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Probably depends upon what Apple means by support. It only makes sense that some basic operations ge compatible with the remote. I highly doubt that Apple expects 100% functionality with the remote.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Interesting! Id love to see a tear down and maybe info on processor performance.

The other thing, does anybody know if these units work well not connected to the net. I have a use for one where all i want to do is broadcast over WiFi to a unit hooked to a TV. No need for internet connections.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I wonder what game developers think of Apple's reversal regarding game controllers? The new requirement is every game must support Apple's remote. No games will be allowed that require a third-party controller. It kind of makes me wonder why Apple didn't just design it's on game controller? I have a hard time seeing people play console quality games with the Apple remote.

Yeah, I read about that earlier too. Strange they changed it, wonder what prompted that. To be honest I was a bit surprised they would allow games in the store that didn't support the included remote, from a user perspective it would curtail the experience a bit if the included controller didn't work with all the apps in the store.

Of course the "twittersphere" is all up in arms declaring no complex or immersive games that normally use controllers will submit games to the app store and so this system is a "fail" before it's shipped, but that's just typical.

Would be nice if they simply filtered out games that supported only the MFi controllers if you didn't have one registered with your system in the app store, so developers weren't forced to support two controllers and could choose. On the other hand, games that are best played with a controller still have to support touch if it's an iOS game, so if they can cleverly develop an interface for touch, I'm sure they can develop one for the included remote.

Wouldn't be my first choice having to support two controllers, but I'm sure they'll review the policy and reverse it again if someone like Tony Hawk writes a letter to them, right?!

• Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The other thing, does anybody know if these units work well not connected to the net. I have a use for one where all i want to do is broadcast over WiFi to a unit hooked to a TV. No need for internet connections.

I've got 2 ATV 3rd gen units and they do just fine without an internet connection, so there's absolutely no reason to think this one will perform differently. I have a large iTunes library of TV Shows & Movies and these stream beautifully with or without an internet connection.

• Reply 8 of 30

Hel-looooo eBay!

/s

• Reply 9 of 30

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

... Will there be demo units in Apple Stores to try out? Or maybe at a retailer like Best Buy? ...

I seem to remember that yes, there was a demo ?TV at my local Apple Store.

No idea about Best Buy.

• Reply 10 of 30
    i'd love to see Plex run on it!
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

I use a current generation Apple TV with no internet connection - basically as an Airplay receiver. Yes it works, though in my case I cable it to the WiFi router so that it (the router) is not trying to receive and send video over WiFi.

Only "issue" is when the Apple TV boots up, it spins for a while trying to find the internet to confirm date time and other functions. It gives up after a duration followed by an on screen complaint. It also doesn't take you to the Apple TV menu but to a AirPlay/iTunes Home Sharing screen.

I can only suspect that because this new one has local storage and an App Store that it will go to the standard menu.

I can only hope it doesn't get all DRM on us and refuse to present apps/locally stored content without an internet connection.

That would be super sad

• Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Interesting! Id love to see a tear down and maybe info on processor performance.

Assuming it's like the original AppleTV, you don't need an Internet connect to use it for AirPlay.  Since it's going to be a development environment, I would also assume that developers will build apps to not require the Internet.  I also think that newer versions of AppleTV don't even need a WiFi router and can use point to point AirPlay over WiFi.

• Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

... Will there be demo units in Apple Stores to try out? Or maybe at a retailer like Best Buy? ...

I seem to remember that yes, there was a demo ?TV at my local Apple Store.

No idea about Best Buy.

Thanks. Looks like I will have to make a trip to the Apple Store sometime in October.

• Reply 14 of 30
    rogifan wrote: »

I agree. It's shortsighted to leave the development of the ideal Apple TV game controller to third party suppliers. That's called "leaving money on the table". Give us a serious Apple game controller.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Yeah, I read about that earlier too. Strange they changed it, wonder what prompted that. To be honest I was a bit surprised they would allow games in the store that didn't support the included remote, from a user perspective it would curtail the experience a bit if the included controller didn't work with all the apps in the store.

Of course the "twittersphere" is all up in arms declaring no complex or immersive games that normally use controllers will submit games to the app store and so this system is a "fail" before it's shipped, but that's just typical.

Would be nice if they simply filtered out games that supported only the MFi controllers if you didn't have one registered with your system in the app store, so developers weren't forced to support two controllers and could choose. On the other hand, games that are best played with a controller still have to support touch if it's an iOS game, so if they can cleverly develop an interface for touch, I'm sure they can develop one for the included remote.

Wouldn't be my first choice having to support two controllers, but I'm sure they'll review the policy and reverse it again if someone like Tony Hawk writes a letter to them, right?!
    So how I understand this is that developers are required to support the remote but they can also support a controller too. They just can't make the game only support controller input. This makes sense to me because some people will not go spend the money for a controller and this keeps parity for all games.

I can dig it. Doesn't anyone say that anymore? Lol!!

I'm not that old but I watched a few Airplane movies and I thought they were hilarious.

I'm buying two 64g models day one or preorder!!!
  • Reply 16 of 30

Great. Looking forward to hearing comments from devs on the capabilities.

• Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

i'd love to see Plex run on it!

Plex will have an Apple TV app. They are already working on it. 

• Reply 18 of 30
    rogifan wrote: »

Game developers have two choices: get creative, or pass on the platform. Perhaps you thought there was a third choice: expecting game developers to tell Apple how to design their products in an effort to create a faux controversy?

(I know, telling Apple how they're wrong and doomed is the way we pass the time in these forums)

iPhone games are playable with touch screen only; none of them require a MFi controller. So iOS game developers already know about getting creative. They already found a way to make their games work on a multitouch and motion-sensing device. I wouldn't think it would be that hard for them to make the transition to a motion sensing touch pad remote.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »

Plex will have an Apple TV app. They are already working on it. 
    well they are working on it but it doesn't mean that it'll get approved.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    fallenjt wrote: »
    well they are working on it but it doesn't mean that it'll get approved.

Ca you think of anything with the current Plex that would break any of their Apple TV developer guidelines?