Bug forces Apple to delay watchOS 2 launch at last minute

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2015
Originally scheduled to launch to the public today, watchOS 2 will arrive later than intended, due to the discovery of a bug in the software, Apple has confirmed.

The bug is taking Apple "a bit longer to fix than we expected," company said in a statement to TechCrunch. It said the software update will be released "shortly," but did not provide a specific timeframe.

Still apparently on track to be released today, however, is iOS 9, Apple's next-generation software update for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

Originally unveiled by Apple in June, watchOS 2 has been in beta testing for developers since the Worldwide Developers Conference. Unlike with iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 El Capitan, there has not been a public beta for watchOS 2.

The highlight feature of the new Apple Watch operating system is the ability for third-party apps to run natively on the wrist-worn device. This should allow software to run more quickly and operate more independently of the iPhone.

watchOS 2 also enables developers to create their own watch face complications. These will offer users the ability to add glanceable information, such as upcoming flights or sports scores.

Complications will also feature a new capability called "Time Travel," where users can rotate the Digital Crown on their Apple Watch to see information for later in the day, including calendar entries, weather, and more.

Apple also has a new feature called nightstand mode, which allows the Watch face to be viewed on its side for charging. When resting like this, the Digital Crown and side button can be used to snooze and end an alarm in the morning.

Friends can also be added more easily to favorite contacts in watchOS 2.

Siri will also be able to start workouts, without a user needing to touch the Watch to begin an activity. And third-party workout apps will be able to run natively on the device, and workouts will count toward goals in the Activity app.

Apple Pay on watchOS 2 will also include store cards and rewards cards, just like in iOS 9. Mass transit capabilities in Maps will also work on Apple Watch with the next-gen operating system.

Developers creating apps for watchOS 2 will also be able to access the Apple Watch's microphone, or play audio out of the device's speaker. The new operating system will also offer access to HealthKit, give the ability to show video, read accelerometer data, and more.

New customizable watch faces will also be included with watchOS 2, allowing users to select a photo that will display when their wrist is raised, or see a timelapse from one of five different locations, such as Hong Kong or New York.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    Dammit!
  • Reply 2 of 51
    Nooooooooooooo! If I don't get this on day one I might as well throw away my ? Watch and get an Android Wear ???? /s

Not a big deal. Release when ready. My Watch is performing just fine. I [B]can[/B] wait for the new features.
  • Reply 3 of 51

I totally agree; I'd rather wait and have my watch work right from the start.

• Reply 4 of 51
    Must be a pretty big bug considering Apple Music still got released on time...
  • Reply 5 of 51
    I have GM of WatchOS 2 and its been perfect. Wonder what the bug is.
  • Reply 6 of 51

Must be a pretty big bug considering Apple Music still got released on time...

• Reply 7 of 51
    GM seed works fine for me too. I did encounter some random battery drain issues however a few times.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Not a surprise, this is bleeding-edge stuff. Patience, people.
  • Reply 9 of 51

I do hope that the new update will allow the bottom right button to be leveraged for more than just important contacts and ApplePay. Its possibilities seem to be totally under-used at the moment.

• Reply 10 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Nooooooooooooo! If I don't get this on day one I might as well throw away my ? Watch and get an Android Wear ???? /s

Not a big deal. Release when ready. My Watch is performing just fine. I can wait for the new features.

Sarcasm noted but you are describing actual user attitudes. The user that starts bitching because the release is delayed will also the first one to scream bloody murder if they are hit by a bug. They will declare Apple incompetent on both sides. Because negativity gets attention and eyeballs I can just imagine the outrage on the Apple discussion forums and demands for instructions to regress back to Watch OS 1.0.1

I should probably just stop reading forums altogether. 

• Reply 11 of 51
    Mother f-king I am so waiting for it. Oh well glad they are taking the initiative to fix it before release. Good work!
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I do hope that the new update will allow the bottom right button to be leveraged for more than just important contacts and ApplePay. Its possibilities seem to be totally under-used at the moment.

Bottom right button? Mine doen't have one.

• Reply 13 of 51
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So I read elsewhere if you update to iOS 9 but are still on watchOS 1.01 you can't use Siri for certain things on the watch? Is that true?
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alphafox View Post

GM seed works fine for me too. I did encounter some random battery drain issues however a few times.

I had major battery drain issues, as in watch was dead in hours.

• Reply 15 of 51

Cue the "this would never happen under Jobs" comments. 

• Reply 16 of 51
    Can't wait for the competition to pounce on this: With Android watch, your OS updates are never delayed. (They just don't exist.)

Must be a major bug to delay a launch. Otherwise they would have released a .1 (or .0.1) update.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    GM build seems pretty solid. No battery issues here.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Maybe the watch was losing time. /S. Lol
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Bottom right button? Mine doen't have one.

You wearing it upside down on your right wrist? Then it is the top left button. You either know which button is being referred to, or you don't have an Apple Watch.

• Reply 20 of 51
    I wonder if I found the bug. I'm running the watchOS 2 gold master. I just updated my weather channel app. It supports the new complication feature. When I tried to open the app on my watch it says unable to find location. Yet in settings on the iPhone it has location set to always. Runs fine on my iPhone. UPDATE: Weather Channel App on Watch is now working. Complication working too.