Apple launches iOS 9 with iPad multitasking, 'proactive' Siri, better battery life & more

Comments

• Reply 41 of 159
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 42 of 159
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Best feature is AD BLOCK.

Funny all the sites like Verge, 9to5, ect all don't bring it up.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. What they are actually blocking is the advertising aggregator from third party servers which use Javascript. I doubt it will take long for big sites with lots of ads to figure out a way to use a same domain proxy with server side scripting to make the ads appear to be just regular content. In fact I'm sort of surprised they haven't done this already with desktop ad blockers.

• Reply 43 of 159

Sluggish performance on iPad 3 now, press an icon and there is a delay till it opens

• Reply 44 of 159
  • Reply 45 of 159
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redefiler View Post

Idiots... you might want to wait like 10 minutes before upgrading, until your local ISP recognizes the nearest file mirrors.

Lots of stupid on stupid people this morning.

Right, because everyone needs to understand all of the technical details of how downloads work before they do it. /s  Just like everyone should understand all of the details of how the engine in their car works before they turn the key in the ignition, or understand the details of how electricity flows before turning on a light.

This is why a lot of people have a distaste for technology: when faced with a problem, those who understand it simply act arrogant and revel in the fact that they have some piece of knowledge about a particular technology which, when it comes down to it, simply isn't designed well enough to eliminate the need for such knowledge (like most of the other things we use).

• Reply 46 of 159
    mstone wrote: »

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. What they are actually blocking is the advertising aggregator from third party servers which use Javascript. I doubt it will take long for big sites with lots of ads to figure out a way to use a same domain proxy with server side scripting to make the ads appear to be just regular content. In fact I'm sort of surprised they haven't done this already with desktop ad blockers.

They ultimately will be forced to build out their own infrastructures and not rely on third party linked in servers. They don't want to invest in it.
  • Reply 47 of 159
  • Reply 48 of 159
    dklebedev wrote: »
    Doesn't an adblocker use lists to block specific div's on a page?

Eventually, the aggregators will have to restructure contracts as yes any aspect of a website can be blocked with Adblock. Eventually, these massive drains on a web site to load won't force companies to charge because they know that's a dead end. It means advertisers will actually have to think and do more than target click patterns. They'll have to brand with web sites and within the content of videos and other immersive info leverage that, not a bunch of stickers all over a web site.
  • Reply 49 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

Now I have to wipe the 9.1Beta off of my iPad Air 1 before I can download the release iOS 9.

I'm impressed. I had to put the iPad into DFU to remove the iOS 9.1 beta, and proceeded to load the iOS 9 release. I expected to have to do a restore, but after the update, the iPad Air came up with all applications still on the device and ready to go.

Best news ... even the latest version of the TiVo app works and allows for remote streaming! (I've been using an older version with the beta.)

• Reply 50 of 159
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dklebedev View Post

Doesn't an adblocker use lists to block specific div's on a page?

Ad blockers look for services and patterns in AJAX. If I were to use php to dynamically generate the content it would be static html and the ad blocker would ignore it. Doing that is complicated and would require close cooperation between the site and the advertising aggregators to move the functionality to a local proxy server with a php application, instead of just naming a div a particular name and putting one get call in a line of JS.

• Reply 51 of 159
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Everything's running smooth here. I got the split screen to work fine, but I haven't gotten the PiP to work yet, but I think that is because the apps I tried do not support PiP yet. I tried Infuse and TWC TV app, and I assume that they will be updated quickly to support that feature.

• Reply 52 of 159

• Reply 53 of 159
  • Reply 54 of 159
    Is there a way to upgrade from iOS 9 beta to iOS 9 GM? I do not have a developer account, but my phone wants me to upgrade to 9.1 beta, which I definitely want to avoid.
  • Reply 55 of 159
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

They only were able to start testing against the GM Wednesday, and uploading Friday. There's probably a backlog of approvals waiting.

Yeah I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for this week, but last year had a pathetic adoption rate of iOS 8 features an API's. A year later there is still a dismal selection of 3rd party Apps that have adopted the best features of iOS 8.

• Reply 56 of 159
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

By the way, iCloud Drive (on Mac Sys Prefs) has automatically upped my storage account from 20 to 50 GB.  Even though the bar graph still shows 20GB apparent capacity.  Click on "Manage" to see the new capacity.

Mine has not, I don't see the change yet on any device or any of my family's iCloud accounts.

• Reply 57 of 159

I update to iOS 9 on iPad Air 2, and the newsstand app is gone.  But there is also no new 'news' app.  What on earth is happening?

• Reply 58 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Yeah I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for this week, but last year had a pathetic adoption rate of iOS 8 features an API's. A year later there is still a dismal selection of 3rd party Apps that have adopted the best features of iOS 8.

I use a photo sharing app that only added Share Sheet functionality about 6 weeks ago.  Seriously?!?! Your app's main function is sharing photos and you wait almost a year to allow me to add your app to my Share Sheet?  Ridiculous.

?I really hope devs start adding new functionality (deep linking, for example) soon.

• Reply 59 of 159
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Just not a fan of OTA: I don't get repairs on my car engine while it's running so why do the same for my phone? Sort of thing...

To each their own; I wouldn't try to replace a gasket, cylinder or any other part of my cars motor while it was running either, but this is no where near the same. It would be more like trying to update your cars' electronics computer while the car is running.

However, an OTA update, for the most part, works very similarly to what happens on the desktop. The 'image' is download, extracted and then overwrites what's on your device. (I'm going to assume you've not ever done an OTA update then and may not have seen the actual update process, but when the update is being installed (OTA), your device reboots and looks just like it does when it's being handled (updated) by iTunes from computer)

Via desktop, the download and extraction is done on your computer and then from your computer, it's pushed over to the phone.

Via the device, it's all done in one place.

I would argue that it's a little more dangerous to do it from an external system actually, because it's a bit more likely for a computer to shut down/crash (happened to a friend and interrupted the update; had to go into DFU) or someone to yank a cable than it is for any kind of similar interruption to happen when it's all being done on device. On device, the one major issue it the battery dying mid-update, which of course, the update process checks for pretty well.

• Reply 60 of 159
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

I update to iOS 9 on iPad Air 2, and the newsstand app is gone.  But there is also no new 'news' app.  What on earth is happening?

Any magazines you were subscribed to, and which were in your "newsstand", would/should now be in a newsstand "folder". The news app is a new incarnation of Apples. It's more of a news aggregator; more like Flipboard.