iOS users may eventually be able to remove unwanted default apps, says Apple's Tim Cook

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

"There are some apps that are linked to something else on the iPhone," Cook continued. "If they were to be removed they might cause issues elsewhere on the phone. There are other apps that aren't like that. So over time, I think with the ones that aren't like that, we'll figure out a way," he said..

Isn't this basically the reason why Microsoft said they couldn't unbundle Internet Explorer?
  • Reply 102 of 110
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Most of those apps are just front ends to back end functionality that's going to be there anyway, like panels in the Control panels in window.
    So, people will be saving a few megabytes removing those apps... (because they're not removing the back end).

I stick the ones I don't use in one folder in the last page and that's it; never to be seen again (If I don't want too).
    No they aren't if you think about it. If you connect an app to Health you connect it to Health not to the back end. Same with GameCenter and Wallet.
  • Reply 103 of 110
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    yeah except that in the very interview you're commenting on Cook said that isn't why. he said it's not as easy to do (technically, ie the code base for iOS) as it looks

And I'm sure if the functionalities in question would not get an own icon and an app interface, but they'd be just part of the iOS, nobody would care.

Hey, I never use..., let's say, Bluetooth. But it takes up a lot of space on my device - can Apple allow me to delete this?

I think that having a section in settings where I could just hide the icon would be appreciated already. Like with the ATV.
  • Reply 104 of 110
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Isn't this basically the reason why Microsoft said they couldn't unbundle Internet Explorer?

A couple of crucial differences in circumstances, though.
  • Reply 105 of 110
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    They can have a hidden page that sits furthest to the left of the homescreens that only shows up when you are in the icon move/delete mode. That screen and any apps dragged into there would disappear from normal view and apps not used by the OS can be compressed. The core apps don't use much space though so deletion isn't necessary and they can't move these to the App Store as they'd be updated with the OS.

Another feature to add would be private apps. People use their phones in view of other people, sometimes family and you don't always want them seeing what apps you have. There can be a mode that requires touch id to show a private app screen or private apps just have their icons and names hidden in location and touch id is required to make them visible. When they are open and the authentication times out, the multi-tasking view would also be blanked out as well as the app icon.
  • Reply 106 of 110
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Can you provide one good reason why you should be forced to have apps on your phone you don't intend to use?

It's just like you pay taxes to gov't to spend on things you'll never use or get benefit of.

• Reply 107 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

It's just like you pay taxes to gov't to spend on things you'll never use or get benefit of.

Nope. You are not forced to buy anything from Apple under threat of arrest.

• Reply 108 of 110
    How generous of him. Of the 30 stock apps that come with the iPhone 15 I don't use or care to. Apple Watch? I am not now or in the foreseeable future getting a Watch so this app is useless. Game Center, Health, Newsstand, Passbook, iBooks, Notes, Reminders, Stocks, Podcasts, Tips - same thing, all useless to me and ones I wish I could delete.

To those who say "Just move them to a folder." it's a nice idea but that doesn't solve the issue that they still remain on your phone taking up space and memory.

I want them gone. Permanently.

Maybe you should think about getting rid of the iPhone entirely?
  • Reply 109 of 110
    ipen wrote: »

You have to pay taxes... You don't have to buy an iPhone.