Apple releases iTunes 12.3 with support for iOS 9, designed for OS X El Capitan

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post

ds92jz....what do you use for your Music streaming instead? I use a Mini MAC that I ripped all my music to so I can play it on my Sound System....I use it with Pure Music...

Thanks,

Larry

I don't stream music.

And good for you....

• Reply 22 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

As opposed to what's, Windows Media Player? Plex? Both of those are actually the most garbage apps I have ever used. In fact of all the players I've ever used including RealPlayer, MusicMatch, Songbird, Plex, XBMC, and iTunes iTunes for me has been the least buggy, easiest to learn, and easiest to use and that's in any version including 12 which I've had no problems with.

iTunes will always seem buggy and slow on Windows because Windows doesn't have the core functionality iOS and OS X have. It can NEVER be as good as the Mac version in the same way Safari sucked on Windows. It's still the best media player on that machine though in my not so humble opinion

Nothing you've said here is profound.

• Reply 23 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gjraayhcaem View Post

Just screwed up my iphone 6 with 64 gigs.  It now shows I have to connect to itunes, then it says we will try to restore it but you may need to factor reset it.  Then I try to restore, and there is an error....make sure you back up your current setup.

You would think they would have their stuff together by now, but no.  First time "almost" bricked phone.

tiiiiiiight.

So you’re saying this is happening to everyone? Gets tiring listening to outliers claiming their experience is pandemic. 

• Reply 24 of 51
    lkrupp wrote: »

So you’re saying this is happening to everyone? Gets tiring listening to outliers claiming their experience is pandemic. 

I'm tired of people sticking their fingers in their ears screaming "everything is awesome".
  • Reply 25 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I'm tired of people sticking their fingers in their ears screaming "everything is awesome".

You know you really need to leave the Walled Garden and live life on the outside. This ecosystem is not for you as you have made perfectly clear in all your posts. Why are you still an Apple product user? You don’t belong here anymore. 

• Reply 26 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You know you really need to leave the Walled Garden and live life on the outside. This ecosystem is not for you as you have made perfectly clear in all your posts. Why are you still an Apple product user? You don’t belong here anymore. 

LOL.  Tell us how you really feel.

• Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Have you ever taken a look at iTunes for Windows?  Apple basically created a Windows implementation of Core Foundation and other low-level Mac development frameworks so that they could directly bring the Mac iTunes code over to Windows.  So it'd probably require some deep modifications to the underlying hotkey translation system which converts Mac hotkeys to Windows.  This is why it feels so out of place on Windows.

Uh no. CF has nothing to do with shortcut keys. You define shortcut keys when creating a NSMenuItem, comes from AppKit. There's nothing low-level or hard-wired in about handling shortcut keys.

• Reply 28 of 51
    ds92jz wrote: »
     Nothing you've said here is profound.
    And your 2 cents is worth with inflation -$27.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

And your 2 cents is worth with inflation -$27.

Inflation +

Deflation -

You're welcome.

• Reply 30 of 51
    konqerror wrote: »
    No, it sucks because Apple doesn't invest in it. What core OS functionality is necessary to change the shortcut keys to match that of Windows? Do you press F1 to open help Word on the Mac? Then why does iTunes Windows open help with Control-? ? Do you expect Powerpoint to be Retina on the Mac? If so, why is iTunes Windows broken with HiDPI?

If Apple is so professional on UI, iTunes is a complete UI disaster, and you can't blame that on Microsoft.
    You clearly don't understand developing for different platforms. The closest that Windows has to the Command key is the Windows key which behaves completely differently on Windows than on the Mac so the hotkey thing is actually a big deal because it has to be mapped to the CTRL key which behaves differently in Windows than it does on the Mac.

Windows also doesn't have CoreAudio, GrandCentral, CoreVideo, CoreData, CoreDraw etc so to get the program to work on Windows at all is something of a minor miracle
  • Reply 31 of 51
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So I spent almost 2 hours downloading the software update only for iTunes to tell me it couldn't complete the install because the firmware file was corrupt. %^#! Apple :rolleyes:
  • Reply 32 of 51

iTunes sucks on OS X too...

Also, it looks like this one isn't going to be available at all for Lion?
    I'm starting to think that you are trapped in some kind of temporal anomaly (using my best sci-fi language) enternally doomed to eulogise apple software and tech from circa 2008, never satisfied that anything else can meet those lofty heights of user interface perfection.
    I'm no 12 month updater but I accept that hardware eventually becomes a limitation on progress despite their best efforts (and let's face it keeping the 4s viable for iOS 9 is an amazing engineering achievement from both the hardware and software perspective). I also accept that apple's relentless drive to correct and fix will mean that any short term pain following a major update like apple music will quickly be forgotten. They have to move to stay profitable and relevant in order to permit them to continue doing all the other stuff they do. Is it possible for people to take a long view on this issue??
  • Reply 33 of 51
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Uh no. CF has nothing to do with shortcut keys. You define shortcut keys when creating a NSMenuItem, comes from AppKit. There's nothing low-level or hard-wired in about handling shortcut keys.

Uh no.  You set hotkeys in your nib/xib/storyboard file.  If you created that file in a Mac app, then brought it over to a Windows app, you'd need something to convert hotkeys like Cmd-C to Ctrl-C and so on.

As well, many of the menu items have hotkeys automatically configured by OS X to ensure consistency across different applications (e.g. Edit -> Copy is always bound to Cmd-C).  OS X does a lot more automatic configuration to ensure application consistency than either Windows or Linux does (if you don't try to create everything in code, which is a huge mistake).  This consistency comes from the lower level libraries like Foundation, AppKit, Core Foundation, etc.  I think you're right about AppKit being the library where this is handled, but regardless, it's something that's handled outside of your application's code.

iTunes on Windows has renamed all of the dlls so that it's hard to tell what OS X libraries they've ported (the dlls used to have the exact same name as the OS X frameworks).  But it wouldn't surprise me if they've brought over AppKit in some form.

• Reply 34 of 51
    Quote:

Does anyone know of a direct download link for the iTunes update?  Don't want to have to download it on 5 different computers.

itunes.com/download

• Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:

Uh no.  You set hotkeys in your nib/xib/storyboard file.  If you created that file in a Mac app, then brought it over to a Windows app, you'd need something to convert hotkeys like Cmd-C to Ctrl-C and so on.

No. That's the high level Interface Builder method. It just gets translated into the lower level AppKit code.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/NSMenuItem_Class/index.html#//apple_ref/occ/instm/NSMenuItem/initWithTitle:action:keyEquivalent:

As the intro to the document explains:

Quote:
    You also have the choice at which level you use AppKit:

• Use Interface Builder to create connections from user interface objects to your application objects...

• Control the user interface programmatically, which requires more familiarity with AppKit classes and protocols...

• Implement your own objects by subclassing NSView or other classes...

For a variety of reasons, many apps do not use Interface Builder and use go to point 2.

• Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:

No. That's the high level Interface Builder method. It just gets translated into the lower level AppKit code.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/NSMenuItem_Class/index.html#//apple_ref/occ/instm/NSMenuItem/initWithTitle:action:keyEquivalent:

As the intro to the document explains:

I understand that, when the xib file is loaded, all of the menus defined in it are turned into objects (NSMenus and NSMenuItems with hotkeys).  However, within the frameworks which make up Cocoa, keyboard events are turned into standard actions (see NSResponder) and sent through the responder chain.  So if you wanted to have one xib file which defines your menus for both Mac and Windows, and then simply adapt the hotkeys for each platform, this is likely where it would be done.

Now, if you were creating all of your menus programatically, and wanted to put #ifdefs everywhere for each platform's hotkeys (spaghetti code), then I guess that'd be another way to do it.

• Reply 37 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

itunes.com/download

iTunes 12.3 wasn't available through that link earlier in the day.  However, the page seems to be in the process of being updated.

Edit: It's up now.

• Reply 38 of 51
    Quote:

For a variety of reasons, many apps do not use Interface Builder and use go to point 2.

And I wish those application developers the best of luck as Apple iterates on OS X and adds/tweaks menu items and behaviours which, if you implemented your menus via Interface Builder, you simply get for free.  For example, the Edit -> Speech menus which were added to all document-based applications a few OS X releases back.

Sure it's an option to create menus programmatically, just not a good one if you want your application to feel like it was made for Mac going forward (or if you like sleep).

• Reply 39 of 51
    ds92jz wrote: »
    Inflation +
    Deflation -

You're welcome.
    Apparently someone doesn't understand sarcasm and thus needs sarcasm quotes.

But to spell it out your previous reply was worthless so there you go hopefully you're up to speed
  • Reply 40 of 51
    If it's too early to upgrade to iOS 9 and El Capitan—-and it's [I]always[/I] too early to install a "point zero" product—-then it's too early to install iTunes 12.3.