Apple Pay now boasts more than 500 US banks thanks to latest round of additions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    PIN required for Debit..

Honestly. Apple Pay for me isn't about being much faster, it's about eliminating the wallet complete. I don't want a wallet anymore. I just want to carry a phone.

States are starting to get on board with digital drivers licenses. I'd like to see the states do Social Security cards and birth certs that way too. One day.. the physical wallet will be obsolete.

To me, thats what Apple watch will really bring. A complete replacement to the wallet. Always on me, always accessible..
  • Reply 22 of 27
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Agreed. Attempted to use at Rite Aid the other day and the terminal insisted I enter the PIN for my debit card. Clearly something was amiss.

I've had to enter my Pin before using Apple Pay.  I believe it was at Home Depot before they disabled it.   As for Rite Aid, I thought they stopped Apple Pay support, but plan to bring it back soon?!?!  I think the whole PIN thing is because you're using a Debit Card and not a normal Credit Card.  At some point banks and businesses will figure out it's not really needed because you are using a Fingerprint to say who you are and so a PIN is redundant.

Chip & Pin and Chip & Signature is suppose to come by October.  That's when Fraud shifts from the bank issuing your credit card to the businesses that continue to allow card swiping.   You may have noticed many businesses swapping out terminals.  Most of these should have NFC, it's just not enabled YET!  It's one of the reasons places like Best Buy and others said they were going to start accepting Apple Pay in a few months time.   If your bank is late in issuing people new cards with the chip in it, then the liability is still with the bank.  The only exception to all this is Gas Pumps until 2017, where allowing card swiping is still allowed and any fraud on the banks.

Apple timed this really pretty good.  Got a year head start in this for the U.S.  Got the name out everywhere.  Can be used at some places, while working on expanding it to other countries.  Here comes the second generation of iPhone for NFC capabilities.  As most people are in the 2 year cycle, this will get a large percentage of iPhone users with ApplePay support for the big October event.  It's a couple weeks away and it really seems not much is really happening.   I would hope many businesses would start announcing Apple Pay support coming soon.  

• Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyPie View Post

Really don't care about adding "500 Banks"; now if we can add 500+ retailers that accept Apple Pay, that would be a better outcome. I realize that retailers will be updating their credit card terminals soon, however the rollout for more retailers has been slow. All I have around here are McDonalds, Panera, Wallgreen, and Staples. There's no Whole Foods, have Fresh Market & Publix. Also wondering if Gas Station payment terminals are getting the upgrade from the swipe/insert process that we're using currently?

Gas Stations are the one exception I know about.  They have until 2017 to upgrade the terminals.   Everyone else needs to be upgraded to support Chip & Pin and Chip & Signature, and these terminals should all support NFC, at least most of them and Allow Apple Pay unless they don't enable it which is dumb.  Really, the only reason not to is because they can't track you using Apple Pay.  On the other hand Apple will allow Rewards cards with iOS9 which is the missing piece of the puzzle and so these businesses can track you using one of those that way.  

• Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CurtisTheGeek View Post

That's how ApplePay works with Debit Cards.  It requires the PIN just as your card would when using the Debit option which is the default.  You can optionally press "Credit" on the POS Terminal to force it to use Credit instead on your Debit card and then the PIN is not required.  

I think in time the banks won't require this when using Apple Pay as it's redundant!!!   I think some places like McDonald's may just default to use Credit on the card so it's quick and fast with no need to enter a PIN.  Other places default to Debit which I think is cheaper for the businesses then using Credit if there's a choice on the card.   They go through different networks.

• Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

PIN required for Debit..

Honestly. Apple Pay for me isn't about being much faster, it's about eliminating the wallet complete. I don't want a wallet anymore. I just want to carry a phone.

States are starting to get on board with digital drivers licenses. I'd like to see the states do Social Security cards and birth certs that way too. One day.. the physical wallet will be obsolete.

To me, thats what Apple watch will really bring. A complete replacement to the wallet. Always on me, always accessible..

For me, the Speed and simplicity is nice, but #1 is Security!!!  having to replace my Debit Credit card for the last 3 years because of FRAUD sucks!!!  The last time, Wells Fargo called me up Saturday morning while I was still in bed sleeping about someone trying to buy Pills a couple times that morning.  It sure wasn't me.  

Having to waste time going and getting a Temp card and then wait for a real card. Temp card has a smaller limit.  Can't really pay my bills with it.  Once I get me new card, now I'm having to replace my card into with everyone from Amazon, to Netflix, to the garbage company.  The number of places is quite a few and a month later I'm still changing into because I missed them and see I'm late with a payment.  Now that SUCKS!!!

It would be nice not having to carry a wallet around anymore.  Know what else?  KEYS!!!   House Key's, Car key's, etc.  Instead work with NFC and use your phone to start up your card.   It's starting to head that direction now.  We've had Keyfobs you don't even have to take out of your pocket.  Just enter the card and push the start button.  The car knows your the legal owner.  We have Smart Locks working on Blue Tooth.  NFC wouldn't be hard to do. 

Apple opened TouchID after the first year, my thinking is Apple will open up NFC after it's first year also.  I know there was one hotel chain Apple allowed NFC to work to unlock your door.  Clearly that's not Apple Pay.  

• Reply 26 of 27
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    It would be nice not having to carry a wallet around anymore.  Know what else?  KEYS!!!   House Key's, Car key's, etc.  Instead work with NFC and use your phone to start up your card.   It's starting to head that direction now.  We've had Keyfobs you don't even have to take out of your pocket.  Just enter the card and push the start button.  The car knows your the legal owner.  We have Smart Locks working on Blue Tooth.  NFC wouldn't be hard to do. 

Apple opened TouchID after the first year, my thinking is Apple will open up NFC after it's first year also.  I know there was one hotel chain Apple allowed NFC to work to unlock your door.  Clearly that's not Apple Pay.  

Keys is a harder sell. You can buy finger-print scanner locks to begin with and bypass the entire needing a phone, but they're so delicate to setup that I wouldn't trust it.

Rather what should happen is changing the deadbolt mechanism to reduce "bump" attacks by having the deadbolt electromagnetically engaged in the door frame (which is the weakest part of the door, anyone can break into a room with a wooden door frame.) So this way the deadbolt/doorknob still opens the door as per normal, but the lock is in the door frame so that when combined with a metal door, your NFC or bluetooth lock reader releases the door latch from the door frame side. This is basically how many apartment doors operate already when the tenant buzzes in someone.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how many US Banks and Credit Unions are there? What percentage does this cover so far?

Less than 10%, there are nearly 7000 (7 thousands) banks in the US