Inside iOS 9: Siri Suggestions, news, apps & more on Apple's revamped search screen

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I'm assuming that option only appears when you download a blocker from the App Store.

As of 3:30 EST, Apple has not released any to the App Store yet. :-/

I didn't need to download anything it was there after installing os9.

• Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

Also, I can't find the News app.

Something must be wrong in your update it shows up on the last page of mine.

• Reply 23 of 52
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Quote:

Sober up and look in the "I Hate Built-In Apple Apps" folder

• Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

It's also a ridiculous battery hog. Went to bed with 97%, woke up 7 hours later with 13%. Nothing was running in the background either. After install it went from 89% to 56% in an hour, but I attributed that to Siri searching my phone and learning. After that first hour things settled down, but a 90% drain with nothing running in 7 hours? Yeah they need to get s handle on that. I've been on the support forums all morning and it's not just me. So much for improved efficiency.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

derp i don't understand beta software derp

Is that what you meant to say? Please don't tell me you put this on mission-critical hardware.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Are you familiar with the term "in Beta"?

Jeebus people, lighten up.  He's offering an observation of his experience, and simply says "they need to get [a] handle on that".  If anything, to me that sounds exactly like what a beta tester might say as feedback - he didn't come out of the box saying "This is a piece of shite" or "Apple sux", or anything of the kind.

The rabid and reflexive reaction to the slightest negative statements on here is really starting to get old.

• Reply 25 of 52
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Your general settings have USA as your region? Won't show up elsewhere for now.

• Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I'm assuming that option only appears when you download a blocker from the App Store.

As of 3:30 EST, Apple has not released any to the App Store yet. :-/

Correct. I found one named "Crystal" on the App Store (there may be others by now). After installing and launching that once, the content blocking item appeared in Safari settings. And it does work... iMore's home page loads approx. 10 times faster now.

• Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

So, if they're changing Newsstand to News and it contains all this aggregated content BS, where do my actual magazine and newspaper subscriptions go? Do they get their own app on the home page now? That's fine, I was just wondering.

All content from the Newsstand app is automatically moved to a new folder with one dedicated app per magazine / paper.

• Reply 28 of 52
    So I found the content blocker menu. It is done!
  • Reply 29 of 52
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sog35 wrote: »
    why am I not surprised by your comment

Don't know since I am generally as pro Apple as it gets.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Fairly underwhelmed so far. But it's not worse

While I do not need most of the new functionality, the power savings, Spotlight integration for apps and the new system font alone (which, for my eyes, is far more readable than their last attempt)... make it highly appreciated.

Edit: And, sure enough, I forgot content blocking in Safari :-)

• Reply 31 of 52

Didn't "Hey Siri, launch News App" not work?
  • Reply 32 of 52
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    dreyfus2 wrote: »

While I do not need most of the new functionality, the power savings, Spotlight integration for apps and the new system font alone (which, for my eyes, is far more readable than their last attempt)... make it highly appreciated.

Edit: And, sure enough, I forgot content blocking in Safari :-)

Oh it's not bad. The font is definitely more legible. Will see how the battery goes.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Mine's been at 100% ever since iOS9 was installed this AM....???? No troubles here....
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Tried the new transit feature on maps only to be told such info was not available. I asked for directions from Orange County to the L.A. Coliseum, not exactly an arcane request in a major metropolitan area. What are these directions limited to? Cupertino and NYC?
  • Reply 35 of 52
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

No News app here either, is it just a US launch?  I don't remember that being stated.

• Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Tried the new transit feature on maps only to be told such info was not available. I asked for directions from Orange County to the L.A. Coliseum, not exactly an arcane request in a major metropolitan area. What are these directions limited to? Cupertino and NYC?

Quote:

In the United States, the planned launch cities are San Francisco and New York, two major metropolitan areas that are known for public transportation, while Toronto will be likely Canada’s sole representative for the iOS 9 Maps Transit feature at launch. In Europe, Apple is said to be gearing up to first launch the feature in London, Paris, and Berlin.

from ************/2015/05/26/apple-transit-ios9-cities/

Plus a few hundred locations in China, because obviously they are the only place on earth that managed to come up with a standard format for schedules, while we enjoy our freedom from such tyranny.

Edit: Sorry, can't get the link to ************ to show up?!

Edit 2: Wow. White flag!

• Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

No News app here either, is it just a US launch?  I don't remember that being stated.

Yep. They did say so. (You can make it appear by changing the region in Settings to USA, but this might mess up your date and time formats etc.)

• Reply 38 of 52
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    from ************/2015/05/26/apple-transit-ios9-cities/

Plus a few hundred locations in China, because obviously they are the only place on earth that managed to come up with a standard format for schedules, while we enjoy our freedom from such tyranny.

Edit: Sorry, can't get the link to ************ to show up?!
    Edit 2: Wow. White flag!
    Thank you, I do recall hearing that now. It would have been thoughtful to have included that detail in the app itself so the user is informed.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    News app is U.S. only
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Thank you, I do recall hearing that now. It would have been thoughtful to have included that detail in the app itself so the user is informed.

For me it shows that there is no route available, and on the bottom of the screen there is a link to display transit apps for this origin in the app store... Certainly not great, but at least some sort of help.

Edit: Hah, it is even a bit better than that, for me it also opens up installed transit apps with the current start and end point already selected. Not too shabby.