Apple launches iOS 9 with iPad multitasking, 'proactive' Siri, better battery life & more

Comments

• Reply 121 of 159
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    redefiler wrote: »
    Always been an issue, it's how the internet works.

For example, most recently Apple Watch orders started several minutes late in certain regions because local ISPs were slower to propagate when the Store on Apple's site re-opened. In this case it's compounded because there are also several additional mirrors for large installer files.

So to sum up, your derp just got squished. Try learning before next time. :smokey:

First time reading his posts? He is 10 pounds of derp in a 5 pound bag.
  • Reply 122 of 159
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    not happening on other sites...

Same here, only on AI. The "best" part was that this was the first site I visited after updating, so I was somewhat worried until I tried other sites.
  • Reply 123 of 159
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    interestingly, scrolling long content is fine on other sites, such as MR. but now AI is definitely stuttering on scrolls and resizes on both of my iPads (mini 2, Air 2).

Weird. I've just noticed that the stuttering almost, if not completely, goes away in portaint orientation.
  • Reply 124 of 159
    I updated my ipad mini and when i try to turn it on, the screen is the itunes logo. Doesn't happen anything more :S
  • Reply 125 of 159
    My fave new feature is in Maps:

--> "Browse for places around you by category, including Food, Drinks, Shopping, Fun and more."
  • Reply 126 of 159
    rwes wrote: »
    To each their own; I wouldn't try to replace a gasket, cylinder or any other part of my cars motor while it was running either, but this is no where near the same. It would be more like trying to update your cars' electronics computer while the car is running.

However, an OTA update, for the most part, works very similarly to what happens on the desktop. The 'image' is download, extracted and then overwrites what's on your device. (I'm going to assume you've not ever done an OTA update then and may not have seen the actual update process, but when the update is being installed (OTA), your device reboots and looks just like it does when it's being handled (updated) by iTunes from computer)

Via desktop, the download and extraction is done on your computer and then from your computer, it's pushed over to the phone.

Via the device, it's all done in one place.

I would argue that it's a little more dangerous to do it from an external system actually, because it's a bit more likely for a computer to shut down/crash (happened to a friend and interrupted the update; had to go into DFU) or someone to yank a cable than it is for any kind of similar interruption to happen when it's all being done on device. On device, the one major issue it the battery dying mid-update, which of course, the update process checks for pretty well.

Technically speaking, you don't have a clue(!) :no:

Since I do this stuff (updating) for a living, I can tell you a FACT: the majority... if not ALL... problems with an update can be fixed by attaching the device to iTunes via a Mac or PC;

2) if that's true (which it is and suggested by Apple)... then why in the hell unless you absolutely must update NOW... would you decide NOT to use the official troubleshooting method from the beginning?

Here's my "unofficial" but time-tested and proven method of updating iOS with almost NO PROBLEMS over 7 years:

1) Close all apps and shutdown, then restart your iOS device;

2) MAKE SURE that you have the latest iTunes version (update) installed, then plug your device into your Mac or PC ;

3) allow Photos to back up your pictures AND it is advised to BACKUP MANUALLY your device by CANCELLING the first "There is an update..." dialog;

4) after the manual backup, then start the update. Be patient. Allow the device to restart and go through the set-up dialogs if any.

5) Then pull the device... and do one more restart "untethered". If everything is the way it should be, you're ready to go.

EASY and I have an *almost 100%* success quota.

*** Almost, because back in the day when jailbreaks were a thing for some of my clients, every once in a while I would have problems due to firmware/band issues. I haven't seen anything now since iOS 7 after literally 100's of iOS devices... old and new.

Some notes:

Currently iOS 9 is working on iPad 2 (not Air) with of course limitations, and it is a bit slower than iOS7... yet perceptibly faster than iOS 8/8.1. Be sure to turn off "effects" in preferences(!)

One of the most awaited features of iOS 9 is Ad-Blocking. Some of the most popular blocking apps like Chrystal or Blockr **DO NOT** work on devices older than iPad Air and iPhone 5. So if you were going to update an iPad 2, iPhone 4s, or iPad Mini (original) for this feature alone, be sure to read which devices are supported, although in most cases they will refuse to install (not finished testing all of them on old devices).
  • Reply 127 of 159
    ben20 wrote: »
    I updated 4 devices and one iPad Air is bricked now - all I get is a white screen with apple logo and "slide to upgrade" pops up. Any idea how to fix that ?

Put your iPad Air into DFU Mode:
    • Plug your device into your computer with a USB cable.
    • Turn off the device.
    • Hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
    • Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
    • Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.

You will be asked to restore your device, click OK.

Depending at what point the update failed, you will either be returned to your previous version... OR... your device will finish updating.

Be patient here! It may take up to a half an hour maybe longer. Just keep it plugged in to your Mac or PC until you get some 'Happy' welcome screens ;)
  • Reply 128 of 159
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Technically speaking, you don't have a clue(!) image

Since I do this stuff (updating) for a living, I can tell you a FACT: the majority... if not ALL... problems with an update can be fixed by attaching the device to iTunes via a Mac or PC;

2) if that's true (which it is and suggested by Apple)... then why in the hell unless you absolutely must update NOW... would you decide NOT to use the official troubleshooting method from the beginning?

Thanks for sharing.

I do quite a bit of device updating myself actually, but not for a living, so i'll assume you've clearly got more experience with this than I do. I have personally not ever had trouble updating via the OTA mechanism though.

I wouldn't use the official troubleshooting method because I'am/wasn't troubleshooting. Ive been fortunate; OTA has given me no reason to take the extra steps. Call me lazy.

as for everything else you added, I was already aware, but additional details never hurt and I'm sure others may find it useful. ????

• Reply 129 of 159
    rwes wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing.

I do quite a bit of device updating myself actually, but not for a living, so i'll assume you've clearly got more experience with this than I do. I have personally not ever had trouble updating via the OTA mechanism though.

I wouldn't use the official troubleshooting method because I'am/wasn't troubleshooting. Ive been fortunate; OTA has given me no reason to take the extra steps. Call me lazy.

as for everything else you added, I was already aware, but additional details never hurt and I'm sure others may find it useful. ????

OK... but I'm a "better safe than sorry" guy and my time costs money, so I try to go about things properly the first time, rather than deal with problems if they show their ugly head. Especially with finicky iOS updates when people are literally pulling on your shirt, "Is it done yet?".

Note: personally I do go ahead and update once in a while OTA... but that's me and I know how to fix it if it gets borked. I took issue with you telling possibly "newbies" that everything is always peachy or just the same as a tethered update. That's just plain NOT true.

Also, my very first point of "closing apps and doing a restart first"... is good advise whether tethered or OTA not an opinion.

I'm glad to hear that you've been successful with OTA's... I just can't risk that with clients.
  • Reply 130 of 159
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

scrolling in AI (safari) is really janky for me now...

What device(s)?

EDIT - nevermind I saw at the top of the page

• Reply 131 of 159

Stuttering and freezing/hanging for several seconds in multiple apps on both my iPhone 6 and iPad mini 2 (and iPhone 4s) with iOS 9. Overall, it feels slower than 8.4.1 to me. I've also encountered a few websites where the text is too small to read without zooming in - as if my iPhone is receiving the desktop instead of mobile versions of the website. I've never regretted or had any problems by being an "early adopter" for iOS upgrades...until now. This upgrade has taught me the same lesson that others have learned with previous upgrades.

• Reply 132 of 159
    kedakeda Posts: 722member

iOS9 is killing my battery life (5s).  When not connected to power, I'm loosing almost 1% every 2 minutes.  It looks like Photos/iCloud is to blame, with 30% overall battery usage and 1min screen/1.7hours background.  

I installed from iTunes after a manual backup, etc.  Since then, I've restarted a few times.

• Reply 133 of 159
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

I'm surprised how many are applying this update ASAP and not using iTunes to backup first.

I'll wait for at least V2 and will do it via iTunes with backup.  ;)

• Reply 134 of 159
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

I'm surprised how many are applying this update ASAP and not using iTunes to backup first.

I doubt it's possible to tell who's got an iTunes backup and who doesn't just from people doing OTA. An iTunes  backup the night before would cover most everything, then an OTA when in a good reception zone at work isn't that improbably a strategy.

• Reply 135 of 159

I keep stumbling across more problems with iOS 9 on my iPhone 6. This afternoon, my Touch ID stopped working. It recognizes a double-tap for Reachability, but does not acknowledge my finger for Touch ID. I'm going to restore all my iDevices this evening to see if that helps. I had to sound pessimistic, but it seems like Apple is trying too hard to please the masses and rushing out buggy stuff more and more frequently while losing focus of the core values that made them so appealing to a smaller group in years past. I still think Apple is "the best", but I'm concerned with the direction I've seen them moving the last few years.

• Reply 136 of 159
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

I doubt it's possible to tell who's got an iTunes backup and who doesn't just from people doing OTA. An iTunes  backup the night before would cover most everything, then an OTA when in a good reception zone at work isn't that improbably a strategy.

Note I said I will wait until V2, unless there is some function I just have to use before.

Those on the recent iPhone 6 need not be so cautious, it would be have been the main developer test iPhone.

It's those with older devices,  such as my "old" iPhone 5c I got 2 months ago,

who should wait a few versions so iOS 9 can be more fully debugged on their device.

• Reply 137 of 159
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    josha wrote: »
    Note I said I will wait until V2, unless there is some function I just have to use before.
    Those on the recent iPhone 6 need not be so cautious, it would be have been the main developer test iPhone.
    It's those with older devices,  <span style="font-size:16px;line-height:1.4em;">such as my "old" iPhone 5c I got 2 months ago,</span>

<span style="font-size:16px;line-height:1.4em;">  who should wait a few versions so iOS 9 can be more fully debugged on</span>
    <span style="font-size:16px;line-height:1.4em;">their device.</span>
    I'd say that's reasonable. Previous versions can have rough spots that don't get the priority of the immediately previous generation. There's never an infinite amount of engineering resources for any project. But I was responding to the first part of your post where you voiced surprise so many were jumping in without using iTunes "to backup first."
  • Reply 138 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Can you recommend any good free adblockers for iOS9?

I haven't looked into that yet. I am still on iOS 8.4.1.

• Reply 139 of 159
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Keda View Post

iOS9 is killing my battery life (5s).  When not connected to power, I'm loosing almost 1% every 2 minutes.  It looks like Photos/iCloud is to blame, with 30% overall battery usage and 1min screen/1.7hours background.  

I installed from iTunes after a manual backup, etc.  Since then, I've restarted a few times.

Contact Apple or make a Genius Bar appointment. They might be able to help, or report the issue to Apple's engineers.

• Reply 140 of 159
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    keda wrote: »

I haven't even updated and my battery life the past couple months has been similar. Just chewing through battery at an unbelievable rate. So I replaced it. No different. I've checked my background location usage and all seems in order. Not sure what else it could be. Pulled my (iPhone 5) off the charger at 6AM and I'm @ 67% now at 10AM with light usage. Real irritating.